Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Wat r the symptoms of ESP/BAS shutdown?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Mrwray
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by POWER SEDAN
Do you have the option with your Superchips tuner to disable your O2 sensors? I know local guys that have gutted their cats, but disabled the O2's with the Diablo, and haven't had this issue. It's not your CAI system.
No, no option for the O2s..the only disable option on the superchip is the MDS.. Now I'm wanting a diablo.. Thanks alot,lol... I'm glad u mentioned tht though

Old 04-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Mrwray
Rookie

Originally Posted by POWER SEDAN
Do you have the option with your Superchips tuner to disable your O2 sensors? I know local guys that have gutted their cats, but disabled the O2's with the Diablo, and haven't had this issue. It's not your CAI system.
I have had my charger since feburary 2007 and I have never taken it to a dealer to check for factory update. Do I need to do tht and how much will the update cost?

Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

If you're purchasing a Diablo tuner, it will automatically notify you if you need an update, which can be downloaded free through Diablo's website. Then simply plug the Diablo into your dynastic port, and it will basically flash your ECM, then allow you to scroll through the menus and make changes you wish to have done.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:28 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No unit will disable the o2 sensors as it is one of those "illegal" functions for "off road use" only. LOL!!!

As far as the esp lights coming on. Not sure what could b doing it. In theory your cats should not cause the lights coming on, however since Dodge has EVERYTHING tied to the computer and just about everything is linked to the next somehow it might be the problem.

For example, my ESP light was coming on all the time by itself. Right after I had a brake job done. After a few months, I redid the brakes myself making sure that everything was done right and I haven't seen the light since. So somewhere, the previous job was done not to specs.

Dodges are extremely touchy. The computer is great for technicians but can be a pain for the actual owner.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Mrwray
Rookie

Originally Posted by KRZY.BMET
No unit will disable the o2 sensors as it is one of those "illegal" functions for "off road use" only. LOL!!!

As far as the esp lights coming on. Not sure what could b doing it. In theory your cats should not cause the lights coming on, however since Dodge has EVERYTHING tied to the computer and just about everything is linked to the next somehow it might be the problem.

For example, my ESP light was coming on all the time by itself. Right after I had a brake job done. After a few months, I redid the brakes myself making sure that everything was done right and I haven't seen the light since. So somewhere, the previous job was done not to specs.

Dodges are extremely touchy. The computer is great for technicians but can be a pain for the actual owner.
Since u mentioned brakes maybe u can help me, I had to take off my front driver caliper so I had to bleed the line after I put it back on. This produced the ABS,ESP,and mr squiggles lights to come on. I called a tech at a Tulsa dealership and he told me to disconnect the battery and bleed every line starting with rear right then rear left/Front right then front left. So I had my wife pump the brake til firm,I loosened the bleeder on the caliper til all the air was out, had her keep the brake down until I tightened the screw. I repeated this on all four calipers. After I put the wheels back on I applied battery terminal and took the car down the road a ways and the lights r still on. Am I doing sumthing wrong?

Old 04-28-2011, 06:33 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bleeding process sounds correct.

Now when you apply the brakes, do they engage quickly? I mean pretty much as soon as the brake is applied and not at half pedal.

Also, when the light comes on, are you able to press the ESP button and it shuts back off leaving only the BAS light on? If this statement is true, then what kind of pads do you have on?

Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Mrwray. First point I want to make is that there are signals and info traded back and forth on the BUS network at ALL times. The ABS (AKA..ESP/BAS) is no exception. The ESP is there so you do not kill yourself and others when you tempt the limits of the vehicle or when slick roads put you at a disadvantage. Now, if you plan on racing the car then go ahead and try and disable it. If it's a daily driver, I recommend you don't. Your light WILL come on due to one of it's own inputs/outputs another dependent module's signals. Your questions will never be answered until you get it on a scan tool. Not one just for engine but the whole car.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Mrwray
Rookie

Now when you apply the brakes, do they engage quickly? I mean pretty much as soon as the brake is applied and not at half pedal.

Also, when the light comes on, are you able to press the ESP button and it shuts back off leaving only the BAS light on? If this statement is true, then what kind of pads do you have on?
I consider myself a professional driver, I have been through several law enforcement driving schools including the instructor school so I do periodically like to drive the car fast. Since I bled the brakes the lights will not stay off. Now when I first start my car and back out of the driveway the lights will go off, but when turn onto the highway they will come back on. When I press the ESP button nothing changes. My brakes work normal except I can still feel a feeling in the brake like there's sum air or something. I feel like I need to do sumthing different but I don't know wat

Old 04-28-2011, 01:18 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Just for kicks, to eliminate any potential ghost faults, disconnect your battery, once battery is disconnected press your brake pedal down (full travel), and hold it there for 15-20 seconds, then reconnect your battery. Holding the pedal down will draw all power out, even after battery is disconnected.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Mrwray
Rookie

I consider myself a professional driver, I have been through several law enforcement driving schools including the instructor school so I do periodically like to drive the car fast. Since I bled the brakes the lights will not stay off. Now when I first start my car and back out of the driveway the lights will go off, but when turn onto the highway they will come back on. When I press the ESP button nothing changes. My brakes work normal except I can still feel a feeling in the brake like there's sum air or something. I feel like I need to do sumthing different but I don't know wat

Quick Reply: Wat r the symptoms of ESP/BAS shutdown?