Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Wat r the symptoms of ESP/BAS shutdown?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Mrwray
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wat r the symptoms of ESP/BAS shutdown?

I'm having problems with my 2006 charger R/T. I was told tht I might have to put catalytic converters back on it, and I've heard of this ESP/BAS shutdown.. Wat does ur car do if tht Is happening?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ESP/BAS is your stability control and brake assist. If they are off you will have the light on on your dash. Same light if you push that button over your radio. Removing the cats won't cause problems with this.

What does happen if you remove the cats is you will throw codes regarding your O2 sensors. Your car will run kinda crappy too. There is a trick to do that "tricks" the sensors to thinking the cats are there but I'm not going into that now as it doesn't always work. So if your car is runnin crappy and your check engine light is on, putting the cats back on will probably rectify the problem.

On a side note, hardly anyone removes the cats on the hemi engine for this reason.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Mrwray
Rookie

This is great advice, the car doesn't act up 100% of the time and it seems like i really notice this whenever the weather is cool like in the fall and winter. Seems like in the summer months it doesn't do it as much. I'm really hoping tht putting cats back on it will solve the problem. If I knew tht cutting them off would have caused this big of a problem I wouldn't have done it in the first place. Will this problem also throw trouble lights too? Whenever the car acts up the ESP/BAS light comes on and the little red lightning bolt light will flash on and off once.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Is your Charger throwing a CEL, during normal operating conditions?

Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Mrwray
Rookie

Originally Posted by POWER SEDAN
Wat is a CEL? Whenever the is running good i always push the ESP button to turn it off. The only time it throws the light is when it starts acting crappy and falling on it's face.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

CEL = check engine light.

Just curious if you're throwing a code during normal operating conditions. Like it was mentioned in your other thread, the ESP is never fully disabled. You maybe experiencing "limp mode" which can occur during full acceleration from a dead stop, or hard cornering which will also then aid and prevent you from losing control of your vehicle..... (summed up) It can be embarrassing when I sometimes forget to disable mine when at Great Lakes Dragaway, while cleaning the tires before lining up in the hole,lol.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Mrwray
Rookie

CEL = check engine light.

Just curious if you're throwing a code during normal operating conditions. Like it was mentioned in your other thread, the ESP is never fully disabled. You maybe experiencing "limp mode" which can occur during full acceleration from a dead stop, or hard cornering which will also then aid and prevent you from losing control of your vehicle..... (summed up) It can be embarrassing when I sometimes forget to disable mine when at Great Lakes Dragaway, while cleaning the tires before lining up in the hole,lol.
I don't think it's limp mode, after the RPMs shoot to zero, if I dont let off the gas it will backfire. Isn't this a symptom of not having the cats? Because all of the fuel isn't burning, kind of causing a flooding affect causing the car to buck and flatline, and constantly die at idle.. I've ordered sum cats today to put back on it. I really hope tht fixes the problem

Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Nope, definitely not the symptoms of limp mode, that's why I was curious if you were tripping any CEL's during normal operating driving conditions.

Originally Posted by Mrwray
I don't think it's limp mode, after the RPMs shoot to zero, if I dont let off the gas it will backfire. Isn't this a symptom of not having the cats? Because all of the fuel isn't burning, kind of causing a flooding affect causing the car to buck and flatline, and constantly die at idle.. I've ordered sum cats today to put back on it. I really hope tht fixes the problem

Old 04-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Mrwray
Rookie

Nope, definitely not the symptoms of limp mode, that's why I was curious if you were tripping any CEL's during normal operating driving conditions.
If I drive normal the car won't act up as long as I don't try and punch it. Although it will stil die whenever I stop at a stop sign or light, and yes this is very embarrassing! I really don't kno wat else it could be besides the cats. I've already replaced the intake "which is wat the dealership said was wrong" and I've replaced the fuel pump and filter. So hopefully I'm just dumb for having the cats cut off and this will stop once my new cats get put on

Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Do you have the option with your Superchips tuner to disable your O2 sensors? I know local guys that have gutted their cats, but disabled the O2's with the Diablo, and haven't had this issue. It's not your CAI system.

Quick Reply: Wat r the symptoms of ESP/BAS shutdown?