Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Need help with engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 PM
BoostedCowboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with engine

Ok gals and guys, I'm going to toss this out here in the hopes someone can nail it. 09 Charger police pkg, 5.7L. Started out with just one code, a p0306. So I bought a new coil pack and new plugs, no change. Moved injector to #4, the code followed, so I ordered a new injector and new plugs for the other 7 sets. Now when I am driving and it starts feeling sluggish, and the ck engine light hits, I mean she is barely able to hit 40 mph on an incline. I eased into a parking lot and switched her off, and cranked her right back up, she ran fine all the way home with the ck engine light still on. I pulled the codes and for the last 4 times, it has said the p0300 every time. I used dielectric in each coil pack boot. So ideas anyone?

Last edited by BoostedCowboy; 06-04-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 06-05-2012, 12:38 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedCowboy
Ok gals and guys, I'm going to toss this out here in the hopes someone can nail it. 09 Charger police pkg, 5.7L. Started out with just one code, a p0306. So I bought a new coil pack and new plugs, no change. Moved injector to #4, the code followed, so I ordered a new injector and new plugs for the other 7 sets. Now when I am driving and it starts feeling sluggish, and the ck engine light hits, I mean she is barely able to hit 40 mph on an incline. I eased into a parking lot and switched her off, and cranked her right back up, she ran fine all the way home with the ck engine light still on. I pulled the codes and for the last 4 times, it has said the p0300 every time. I used dielectric in each coil pack boot. So ideas anyone?
Cowboy,

I could find only one TSB that related to your symptoms. I am posting the TSB as well as the P0300 description.

NUMBER: 18-014-10
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: April 28, 2010

SUBJECT:
Flash: Engine Runs Rough At Low RPM or MIL Illumination For MDS Reactivation and
Misfire DTC's
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) with new software. The flash is a
combination flash that will update both controllers.
NOTE: If vehicle does not exhibit any unusual noise or is not running rough then the
vehicle only needs the PCM update. Very few vehicles will need more than
the PCM update.
MODELS:
2009 (LE) 300C/300C Touring (International Markets)
2009 (LX) 300/300 C/Charger
2009 (LC) Challenger
NOTE: This bulletin applies to all vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (Sales code
EZD or EZH).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The Customer may experience a MIL illumination for the following:
a. P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire
b. P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire
NUMBER: 18-014-10
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: April 28, 2010
c. P0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire
d. P0307 - Cylinder 7 Misfire
e. P1411 - Cylinder 1 Reactivation Control Performance
f. P1414 - Cylinder 4 Reactivation Control Performance
g. P1416 - Cylinder 6 Reactivation Control Performance
h. P1417 - Cylinder 7 Reactivation Control Performance
The customer may also notice that the engine runs rough at low RPM's because the
engine is running in 4 cylinder mode. If the engine runs rough the MIL should be
illuminated for the cylinder reactivation control performance and the corresponding cylinder
misfire DTC. It is possible to have more than one cylinder experience this condition. If the
engine runs rough and the DTC's are set, it will be necessary to inspect the push rod,
rocker shaft and lifters for that cylinder(s).
NOTE: If the Cylinder Reactivation Control Performance and Misfire DTC's are not
stored as a pair per cylinder, then it will be necessary to follow the
appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT to repair the
cause of the single trouble code. The PCM should still be Flashed with the
updated software.

P0300-MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE

For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information.
  • When Monitored: Any time the engine is running and the adaptive numerator has been successfully updated.
  • Set Condition: If the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the variation in crankshaft speed between each cylinder exceeds a calibrated value, based on engine rpm and load, a fault is set.

Possible Causes

FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM IGNITION COIL, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS ECT SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS MAP SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS O2 SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Old 06-05-2012, 01:32 PM
BoostedCowboy

Thanks Chris. It's sounding like a trip to the boys with higher priced toys.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:41 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Chris. It's sounding like a trip to the boys with higher priced toys.
Hope they get you fixed up quick.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 PM
BoostedCowboy

Nope, Christine wouldn't show a code no matter how hard they tried. But I got a nice calender for my money, and a ink pen too. I did find out that the police pkg is still in the pcm. Service guy top speed would be around 161, said it ran and drove like a new one. But that my problem is likely electrical. Thanks again Chris!

Old 11-17-2012, 12:59 PM
charger2007
Default mutilple cylinder misfire.. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

hello, i have a 2007 dodge charger. when starting my car in the morning or after it sits for a while it starts up with a shaking spell until it gets warm. the engine lightsblinks while warming up, then it stays on steady. it seems as if the gas is skipping & its putting when u start it. also if u step on the gas pedle it will cut off. in order to have a smooth ride i have to let it warm up for about 15mins prior to driving. took it to dodge & they said "multiple misfires 5&6" came up on the machine. both cylinders 5 & 6 was changed & still same issue. next they did the coil pack, injectors, map sensor & throttle body. the issue is still happening. they seem to be lost on what to do next & so am i. PLEASE HELP ME

Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Do you happen to know what the CEL code is?

Old 11-18-2012, 11:01 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Nope, Christine wouldn't show a code no matter how hard they tried. But I got a nice calender for my money, and a ink pen too. I did find out that the police pkg is still in the pcm. Service guy top speed would be around 161, said it ran and drove like a new one. But that my problem is likely electrical. Thanks again Chris!
After a long period of time, the MDS wiring up under the intake manifold gets a little "heat stressed" and can cause issues. The MDS reactivation DTCs will come and go and be random with a P0300. Tough one to track down for sure, but the intake is pretty easy to take off. They sell it as a short harness. The plug is a larger grey plug on the back of the driver's side cylinder head. When I do them I always put new MDS solenoids in. They're around 50 bucks each, but they are a pig to get out.

Last edited by TNtech; 11-18-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 PM
BoostedCowboy

4 stuck, (with metal shavings, from where is yet to be determined) MDS solenoids, new lifters and 4 new intake valves, .(the ends were flattened, some to the point of having to be cut off in order for the valve stem to pass thru the valve guide/seal). New gaskets and seals. A 1000 mile road trip back home and so far, she runs like she is supposed to. No more CEL!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

4 stuck, (with metal shavings, from where is yet to be determined) MDS solenoids, new lifters and 4 new intake valves, .(the ends were flattened, some to the point of having to be cut off in order for the valve stem to pass thru the valve guide/seal). New gaskets and seals. A 1000 mile road trip back home and so far, she runs like she is supposed to. No more CEL!
What was the mileage BTW ? Just for curiosity's sake

Quick Reply: Need help with engine