Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Lil' help with engine break in please

Old 08-24-2005, 05:04 PM
MrsBowhunter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lil' help with engine break in please

Hey all,

We just bought our Charger this past Saturday.

I will claim super-ignorance here--- What is the BEST break in period process. I have gotten varying advice and don't know where to go from here. We have put about 220 miles on the thing so far, never going over 60mph. I drive all highway miles to work (74 miles roundtrip).

Am I missing something... what else is there to consider?

I also understand that the oil should be changed after the first 500 miles to look for any fines or indications that there could be problems.

HELP!

Old 08-24-2005, 06:33 PM
MrsBowhunter
Default RE: Lil' help with engine break in please

Ok. So y'all are ignoring me...

I figured that meant the topic has been discussed. I did a search of the forum and found some threads on break in for trucks and such. So with what I've read I am guessing the oil change is a good idea and I should have a little fun during the ride home this evening to vary my RPMs. I wouldn't have thought highway driving would have been a bad idea!

Old 08-24-2005, 06:51 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Most of the Charger people are on later in the day, or arent online around this time. I would suggest you wait about an hour or two. These guys are usually pretty helpful and they have some knowledgeable people.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:07 PM
MrsBowhunter

Well, Thank you Devil.

Just a bit impatient as I type from my work computer. I'll be heading home soon and was looking for some advice before then.

I made the smart, yet belated, call to the dealership and got the information I needed.

Thanks again.

Natalie

Old 08-24-2005, 07:10 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

No problemo! Most the guys in this forum are either on early in the day or early evenings, least from what I have seen of them. My suggestion would be to leave questions overnight and expect answers by morning if you do only get online from work. Get us some pictures of your Charger! We like to see new members faces and rides

By the way, welcome to DodgeForum and hope to see you around for a while!

Old 08-24-2005, 07:15 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're okay to run it like you want. The engine was run in at the factory and does not require a break-in period. In other words, "It's Mustang killing time."

Have fun and enjoy your new car.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:44 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

You're okay to run it like you want. The engine was run in at the factory and does not require a break-in period. In other words, "It's Mustang killing time."

Have fun and enjoy your new car.

Todd what do you mean? are all engine pre broken in or what?

Old 08-25-2005, 07:38 PM
RIPSIGUY
Captain

Read the owners manual. It states " Brief full throttle accleration AT LOW RPM is good break in practice". Keep it under 4500 rpm for the first 500 miles. After 500 miles, let it rip.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:38 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

IMO, the "break in period" procedure in the owners manual is crap.
I've always broke my motors in "the way I would drive it". In other words..."drive it like you stole it"...here and there. I'm breaking in my wife's GC like I've always done too. My last motor (I'm the original owner) had 125K miles on it and it was still running strong...but to each his own I guess.

This site is a pretty good read (some might argue). Motor Break in

Old 08-29-2005, 05:23 PM
MrsBowhunter

Thanks Guys.

We took a trip to Central PA over the weekend, so we have put a few miles on since my original post. We are near 900 miles already!

Y'all will probably balk at this comment, but my kids love the looks we get ( 14 and 16). I have only seen one other on the road. Nice having the first one on the road in our neck of the woods.

What's the general concensus on oil change. I was told originally around 500 miles is best...

Hey Todd, I pass your old 84 exit on my way to work everyday driving Interstate 70. The Pens have a powerhouse this year. Can't wait to see what they do with it!

Devil-man, We don't have our camera into the technological age, but when my sister is in I'll snap a pic or two for y'all. We don't have the RT or any of the super-fancy options, but she sure is purty. My daughter calls her Eleanor ( from Gone in 60-Seconds). Obviously not the same car but she is about the same color and she purrs for ya to come a run your hand over that body line.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lil' help with engine break in please