Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

multiple misfire.. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Old 11-17-2012, 04:36 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by charger2007
hello, i have a 2007 dodge charger. when starting my car in the morning or after it sits for a while it starts up with a shaking spell until it gets warm. the engine lightsblinks while warming up, then it stays on steady. it seems as if the gas is skipping & its putting when u start it. also if u step on the gas pedle it will cut off. in order to have a smooth ride i have to let it warm up for about 15mins prior to driving. took it to dodge & they said "multiple misfires 5&6" came up on the machine. both cylinders 5 & 6 was changed & still same issue. next they did the coil pack, INJECTORS, map sensor & throttle body. the issue is still happening. they seem to be lost on what to do next & so am i. PLEASE HELP ME
I totally understand someone spending a good deal of time on a difficult issue and replacing a part and being wrong...it happens. They should have kept it overnight and checked it on first startup in the AM. Not replace a ton of freakin' parts...then go...DUH ...we dunno??!! Who is hiring these people??

Last edited by TNtech; 11-17-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:42 AM
charger2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bad part is, this week will be 2weeks they had my car & still have no clue. I'm totally lost at this point. I just want my car fixed!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:40 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

The bad part is, this week will be 2weeks they had my car & still have no clue. I'm totally lost at this point. I just want my car fixed!
If it IS a condition that can be duplicated on every cold startup, they should be able to give you some sort of answer within a few days. Since I have no way of knowing what they've done so far all I can do is speculate.

But, just judging from your explanation inititally:

DON'T erase codes because the misfire monitor will be reset and it will have to be driven in a specific manner to set it to working again before any more diagnostics are done.

Concentrate on the 2 cylinders that set single misfire codes. It may end up just being one of the 2 causing the problem. The P0300 multiple is probably only a result of serious misfires on single cylinders affecting the rest of them. P0300 is essentially a sign that something happened that caused a drop of vacuum to low levels, altered base timing or caused the PCM to overfuel.

FIRST NIGHT...Install a fuel pressure guage, run the car a few minutes then park it overnight. Observe in the AM.

If Fuel pressure hasn't dropped beyong normal, then do a cold compression test on that same first morning BEFORE running the engine.

It should go without saying (to a tech anyway) that things like Coolant temp, Cam/Crank state and Degrees between Cam/Crank signals should be looked at on the data stream.

Take a fuel sample. One possibility, you have an injector or maybe even two (hence #5 and #6 misfires) leaking down fuel pressure when it sits for long periods. The misfires on the single cylinders would be from raw fuel puddled on top of the piston on startup.

Last edited by TNtech; 11-18-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:26 PM
charger2007

thak u so much.. i will copy your message & tell them to do exactly what u said. i have one mechanic saying "possible head gasket" but the other machanics are saying they dont believe that is the case since the car is NOT over heating & it is NOT leaking anti freeze. i was told they will be changing all the spark plugs on Monday. but im not too confident that will fix my problem

Old 11-18-2012, 06:16 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Well, it won't necessarily overheat on you quickly if a head gasket is leaking coolant in very small amounts into the cylinder while it sits and cools down. If your commute isn't very far every day, you may never run it long enough for it to happen. I don't know how bad you overheated it prior.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:00 PM
charger2007

Originally Posted by TNtech
Well, it won't necessarily overheat on you quickly if a head gasket is leaking coolant in very small amounts into the cylinder while it sits and cools down. If your commute isn't very far every day, you may never run it long enough for it to happen. I don't know how bad you overheated it prior.

I really don't know much about the history of the car. The worst part of all of this is I just got it almost 2 months ago & had this issue since the 1st week. The car dealership that I purchased from is handling all the repairs but no one can seem to figure out what the problem is. The dodge dealership couldn't even diagnose it correctly. Dodge dealership asked me to bring the car back so they can call a engineer to assist them. This is all very overwhelming & extremely frustrating. Sad part is while all of this is going on, I still have to pay my car note

Old 11-19-2012, 04:56 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hello, i have a 2007 dodge charger. when starting my car in the morning or after it sits for a while it starts up with a shaking spell until it gets warm. the engine lightsblinks while warming up, then it stays on steady. it seems as if the gas is skipping & its putting when u start it. also if u step on the gas pedle it will cut off. in order to have a smooth ride i have to let it warm up for about 15mins prior to driving. took it to dodge & they said "multiple misfires 5&6" came up on the machine. both cylinders 5 & 6 was changed & still same issue. next they did the coil pack, INJECTORS, map sensor & throttle body. the issue is still happening. they seem to be lost on what to do next & so am i. PLEASE HELP ME

Charger,

Sorry to hear about your ongoing issues. If you are seeking additional assistance the vehicle would have to have a recent diagnosis from a Dodge dealer.

You can PM me your VIN# or you can contact the Customer Care Department for additional assistance. I've posted the phone numbers below.

Canada: 1-800-465-2001
U.S.: 1-800-992-1997

I hope this helps.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Digger 89L
Amateur

So ...was this problem ever resolved??? I have a similar P0300 issue with my 99 Caravan 3.0 litre.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:17 AM
charger2007

thank u.. i sent u a PM

Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 AM
charger2007

no, unfortunatelly the issue with my car is still not resolved

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: multiple misfire.. PLEASE HELP!!!!