Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Is the 2008 Charger hard to diagnose codes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:42 PM
lolakids4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is the 2008 Charger hard to diagnose codes?

I need advice, please! I have a 2008 Charger with a check engine light that won't stay off. I got her 2 months ago and she's been in the shop 31 days total since then. The techs can't figure out what the problem is. They have put on new converters, o2 sensors and pcm. Had a shop run diagnostics on it today and it's still saying o2 sensor 1 bank 2. Even though the Dodge dealer just replaced it and even took it out to make sure it was a good sensor. They are frustrated with me because I keep taking it back. I am frustrated to keep seeing the check engine light on. I don't know if this will always be a hard car to figure out or if I should just trade it in while I still have the chance? I love my car and don't want anything else, but I don't want the warranty to run out and still have a problem nobody can figure out.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

do you have the exact code? also, how long does it take for the CEL to come back ON after your mechanics clear it.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:27 PM
lolakids4

Hi. I do not have the code from the last visit car went to dealer. I had it towed in to car lot where I purchased the car and they take it to the Dodge dealer down the road. The Dodge dealer says they received the car and check engine light wasn't on when they got it a day after it was towed. They spent 8 days trying to recreate getting the check engine light on and couldn't. So, they gave it back to me. I drove it 93 miles and it came back on. The previous times they had it they pulled up PO420 and Po137. They replaced converter and O2 sensor. Another visit they pulled PO430 and replaced PCM. Every time I get the car back the check engine light comes back on and mileage varies. One time it came back on after 240 miles, another time 93 miles and another time approx 80 miles. I just took it back today with check engine light on...

Old 06-08-2013, 02:17 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem could be a small leak at the exhaust manifold flange that it connects to the CAT convertor. I've seen that once before. Fixed it with a new exhaust manifold and gasket.

Also, it could be a bad Upstream sensor throwing off the down stream sensor reading.

What's the mileage on your vehicle anyway? and what engine?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:07 PM
lolakids4

The mileage is 53,000. Engine is a 3.5 I mentioned a smoke test to the service department, but they dismissed that idea. If it is a small leak somewhere, wouldn't that have made sense? I will call the Dodge dealer tomorrow and mention what you think it could be and hope they will check it out. I appreciate your information and for taking the time to help me out.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 PM
lolakids4

I wonder if they will ever figure it out? Bought my Charger in April and service dept can't figure out check engine light. Always throws same codes. po430, po420, po137. Car has new pcm, o2 sensor, They replaced converter with another new one just in case the one they put on was bad, took out new o2 sensor to make sure it was a good part, took 4 wires out of harness from o2 sensor and ran it directly to pcm. Everytime I get it back the light comes back on. They drive it 200 miles and light doesn't come on, I get it and it comes back on within 40. They drove it 26 miles and light doesn't come on, I get it back and it comes on within 10 miles. Last time I drove it 4 miles and it came back on. Is it time for a new service dept? Or continue to be patient?

Last edited by lolakids4; 06-24-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the 2008 Charger hard to diagnose codes?