Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Code U0103 Lost Comm to gear shift module

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 07:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

I believe they are two separate modules..... I think as a first step, getting a set of factory service manuals for your car would be the best idea.... Chilton and Haynes are far to generic. Factory manuals are MUCH more comprehensive, and have wiring diagrams that actually resemble what's in the car.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:22 PM
mgerdau
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally solved the problem

I started in the trunk and disconnected all grounds, hit everything with a wire brush, put some dielectric grease on, and tightened everything. Worked my to the front. Still the code would come up, usually after starting the car 5 or 6 times. Finally, pulled the underside of the driver's side dash apart. Started unplugging, spreading dielectric grease, and reconnecting all connections. Its been 2 weeks hasn't thrown a code at all. When it was initially throwing a code I had called and made an appointment with the dealership, that was last Tuesday. They checked for any codes and didn't see any, told me it must have been a bad connection under the dash.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:54 PM
frisco415R/T

Originally Posted by crazymonk2012
Okay I went to my car and started it. Tried to put it in gear and it would not let me get it out of park. The check engine light was on and it said it was in gear 8 which it doesn't have 8 gears. I had the car blocking cars in the driveway so I tried something. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it allowed me to drive the car. I drove it to Autozone and they scanned it. It pulled a Code u0103 saying Lost Communication with Gear Shift Module. I called our local Chrysler repair shop and they said it's either the Transmission Module or Powertrain Module. Apparently there computer terminology is different. My question is does anyone know the correct answer to the real problem??
i had the same issue 6 months after i bought my charger r/t. Apparently it lost communication due to changing the stock stereo to an aftermarket,something about a ground wire .at least that's what they told me. I had it about 2 or 3 days at the dealer till they figured it out

Old 06-22-2019, 06:51 PM
mgerdau

Check for any loose connections under the dash. Whatever connection you un-connect put some dielectric grease on the connectors and reconnect until they snap. Also, check all grounds, I brushed mine with a small wire brush put dielectric grease on and tightened the connection.

I had made an appointment with the dodge dealer when I first had the U0103 code come up. After reading other accounts of the code the same remedy came up - check the electrical connections. So when my appointment came up the dealership checked and didn't find a code (because I had used my OBD reader and cleared the code) but the mechanic confirmed that U0103 is a generic code and is usually a bad connection.

Its been over two weeks and no code and no check engine light.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:18 PM
everette miller

Originally Posted by galaxyjaguar
i got 2007 Dodge Charger. there is code u0103 and the situation is while i drive the car , transmission stuck in a gear and doesn't shift anymore until i stop vehicle.
and every time when car is cold i start it it shows 8 next to PNRD on speedometer display.
please give me a favor if you had experience with it, i need to figure out what's the problem.
this a shot in the dark but did you find the solution. This is exactly what’s going on with my 2016.

Quick Reply: Code U0103 Lost Comm to gear shift module