Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2017 Dodge Charger R/T Hood Swap (Hellcat Hood)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 07:59 PM
nickjam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Dodge Charger R/T Hood Swap (Hellcat Hood)

I have been researching the swap from the standard R/T hood to a Hellcat hood for the last year. I have seen pictures of it done and seen videos of people doing it, but information on part numbers and full disclosure on the process from an R/T body style to a Hellcat hood are hard if not impossible to come by. Most people doing these swaps have the Scat Pack and not the R/T body style. So, I finally made the plunge and bought all the parts and pieces to do this swap. I figured I should share my experience so here is all the information as I go through this journey. The parts will be showing up over the next two weeks and the project is expected to take about 2 months.

Hood: 68265428AA (There is an indentation on the center of the R/T bumper that matches a line on the stock hood that will not match the Hellcat hood)
ABS Cover: 68272122AA (Right side air vent can drain water on the ABS module, so this is a Mopar cover that comes on the Hellcat to protect it)
Cold Air Intake Cover: FastHemi.Com - American Car Craft Mopar Cold Air Intake Cover (Left air vent can drain water on to the CAI)
Hood Insulation: 68309049AB
Hood Air Vent Bezels: 68202581AC & 68202580AC
Ram Air Bezel: 68202462AD
Hood bumpers: 05054227AA (Two of them, the ones on the stock hood looked like they would not transfer well so just bought two of them to add to this hood)
Hood Weather Strip: 68040220AC
Hood Radiator Weather Strip: 68271447AA

Front Splash Guards: 82212243AB (Part of the project, but has nothing to do with the hood)
Rear Splash Guards 82214950 (Part of the project, but has nothing to do with the hood)

Current plan is to have a black hood. I have a White Charger with a Black roof and I think that the Black hood will help tie the whole car together.

It should be added that my research shows this process will work for a 2015-2018 model Charger and is projected to work out to 2019 if design plans remain the same as they state.

Image is of the bumper indent that will not line-up with the Hellcat hood lines. (I know, the car is dirty!)

Last edited by nickjam; 07-28-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Adding model years it will work for...
Old 07-15-2018, 08:06 PM
nickjam
Default ABS Cover

The ABS cover took about 3 minutes to install. I got the part from eBay for about $15 cheaper than I could from the local Dodge dealership. It is a Genuine Mopar part. It slips over the engine compartment frame at the front and then attaches to the two holes on the fuse box with Push-Lock pins.

ABS Cover Installed

Old 07-16-2018, 12:32 PM
nickjam
Default Splash Guard Install

Push lock pins purchased for install.

Front splash installed with plastic rivets.

Rear splash installed with purchased push-lock pins.

View of splash guards installed.
The splash guard install was relatively easy. The most time consuming part was removing and replacing the wheels. For both the front and rear splash guards there was some drilling required, but only once you have a push lock pin installed so lining everything up to look flush was simple. The Mopar splash guards come with these plastic rivets that you can see in the image of the front splash guard. I broke a few trying to get the front splash guard on and was unhappy with how securely it fastened the splash guard to the car, so I went down to my local O'Rileys and bought some push-lock pins that did the job. Paid $7 for 50 of them! You can see the part number in the image of the push-lock pins. I am really happy with how the splash guards look on the car and even happier with how they perform, no more stripes down the side of the car after hitting a bit of water!

Old 07-19-2018, 03:34 PM
nickjam

worldpartshop (7123)

Does not have the hood in stock like he claims. Bummer. So much for his Quantity of "4" he listed. Trying another seller to get the hood. Other items have shipped and should be here soon!

Old 07-31-2018, 08:10 PM
nickjam

The parts and pieces just showed up. The CAI cover will be here on Thursday, and the Hood will be here on August 6th!

Old 08-08-2018, 01:48 PM
nickjam
Default Hood Install

Removal
1) Remove insulation from old hood.
2) Disconnect washer hoses from washer nozzles.
3) Place towels or other insulating material on windshield in case of the hood coming down on windshield.
4) Using 13mm socket remove 4 bolts holding hood to strut brackets.
5) Carefully remove hood.

When you remove the hood you are going to "break paint" this will leave marks on the strut bracket for you to line the new hood up with.

Install
1) Place hood in place (having two people helps)
2) insert the 4 bolts that hold the hood to the strut bracket, do not tighten.
3) Align the washers with where you "broke paint" and tighten.
4) If this is your final install, put on other items such as bezels, insulation, and washer hoses and nozzles.
5) Carefully close hood looking for any pinch points.
6) Make adjustments to bracket location to ensure a good and even fitment.

This was not my final install so I do not have pictures of the hardware installation at this time.

Windshield Washer Hoses

Hood Removed with towels in place

Showing the washer and the paint ring

Old 08-08-2018, 01:52 PM
nickjam
Default Opinions Needed!!!

The hood comes with an E-Coat "ready for paint" primer that just happens to be black. I like the black look with white bezels (vents) in the hood. My wife on the other hand says she "hates" the black and thinks it should be white with black bezels.

I need some opinions!

Old 08-08-2018, 02:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Probably need to paint the whole thing in any event, as I suspect the primer that's on it, isn't a sealer as well.... so, left to its own devices, it'll rust pretty quick.

I am going to go with the wife's suggestion though. White, with black bezels.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:15 PM
nickjam
Cool

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Probably need to paint the whole thing in any event, as I suspect the primer that's on it, isn't a sealer as well.... so, left to its own devices, it'll rust pretty quick.

I am going to go with the wife's suggestion though. White, with black bezels.
This was just a fitment test and a sample look since it came black. As a side-note, the hellcat hood is Aluminium so rust should not be an issue. It is WAY lighter than the stock R/T hood, that is for sure!
Thank you for the input, now, are you picking that just because my wife likes it or because you honestly think that would look better? ;-)

Old 08-09-2018, 07:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by nickjam
This was just a fitment test and a sample look since it came black. As a side-note, the hellcat hood is Aluminium so rust should not be an issue. It is WAY lighter than the stock R/T hood, that is for sure!
Thank you for the input, now, are you picking that just because my wife likes it or because you honestly think that would look better? ;-)
Aluminum? That makes it less of an issue.

Both, actually. I like the monotone body look, and I've been married. Gotta keep the wife happy. If she is happy, you are more likely to remain happy. (yeah, it's just politics. )

Quick Reply: 2017 Dodge Charger R/T Hood Swap (Hellcat Hood)