Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Hellcat reliability

Old 02-18-2019, 05:32 PM
sssssss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hellcat reliability

I love hellcats, but my friend told me something that made me laugh. My friend said that a hellcat is not unreliable; I'm saying that it is. Can some hellcat owners or anyone who knows anything about chargers please tell me their honest experience about reliability? Please try not being biased being that this is a dodge forum lol and say that they are reliable just cuz we all like them.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Friend of mine drives his 100+ miles to work and back every day. He has had zero problems with it. And his ain't exactly stock either.... Demon rear diff, change blower pulleys for more boost, etc. He is pushing 80K miles on it now, without a single issue. If you take care of it, and don't beat the crap out of it every time you drive it, it is a reliable car.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:20 PM
sssssss

I for one am hella surprised. My short experience with Mopar is rather poor, so I know it is subjective. But in general, Dodge is definitely considered "unreliable," along with its FCA siblings, so wouldn't one think that the top of the line, 707 hp forced induction V8 would be unreliable? Along with electronics, other mechanical parts, etc.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by sssssss
I for one am hella surprised. My short experience with Mopar is rather poor, so I know it is subjective. But in general, Dodge is definitely considered "unreliable," along with its FCA siblings, so wouldn't one think that the top of the line, 707 hp forced induction V8 would be unreliable? Along with electronics, other mechanical parts, etc.
You will note that there aren't any Fiat branded cars in the US, and hasn't been for some time..... Mainly because they made a terrible name for themselves when they were here, and Americans seem to have a long memory. Same goes for Renault..... Don't see them around any more either. Now, bear in mind, that was quite some time ago..... and while Fiat may now own chrysler, the folks designing/building/programming the cars, are still the same folks. (not that that is really a vote of confidence......) I have been driving dodges for the last ten years or so. Mainly older dodges, where the issues are well known. Still, my next vehicle will likely be a dodge as well. (truck) Though I may actually break into the third generation fellers.

My friend with the Hellcat also owns two Other Dodges, and a Hummer H3. All are over 100K miles, neither of the dodges have had any major work, the Hummer had to have the engine replaced........ So, some is manufacturer, some is how well you take care of it, and the rest is luck. So far, the only problem he has had with the hellcat, is spending too much money on mods........

Old 02-20-2019, 07:03 PM
sssssss

There are no Fiat branded cars in America? Fiat reemerged in the American market about a decade ago. Also, I can see how subjective it is when it comes to reliability. But if you look at any of the major car reviewers and auto informative sites (Consumer Reports, JD Power, etc.), you can see that FCA products, including Dodge, consistently rank among the poorest of auto manufacturers in terms of reliability.
I love Mopar, and I love the power and sound of hemis, but it is hard for me to believe that overall, Dodge is not unreliable. Throughout the internet, I've seen many consumers complain about issues within the first 10,000 miles.
It's like this: I have a 2004 Toyota with 200k miles, and even with poor maintenance it has never had an issue. To me, that is considered reliable. But if someone had numerous experiences with faulty Toyotas, he or she may think their Toyotas are unreliable, but it would be absurd to believe the brand as a whole is unreliable.
So my question is this: even though you have had excellent reliability with your Dodge products, as well as your friends, what about the rankings of Dodge on reliability by car reviewers?

Btw, I appreciate your input lol.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Reviewers are all paid by someone...... so, not all of them are precisely honest. Think I would be more inclined to pay more attention to the car magazines that do long term testing. Motor Trend did a long term test of the hellcat, and consider that was driven by folks that did not own the car, did not have to pay for maintenance, or anything else for that matter.... So, you can figure it wasn't driven as kindly as it would have been by someone that actually cranked out 80 grand for it....... Check out the article, long term test verdict, I don't recall which issue it was in though, last year sometime though.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:47 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Toyota does make reliable cars but they are rather bla...low power fuel sippers....until you open the wallet and buy their high end builds. Japanese trucks don't compare with the big three trucks. Used to be you couldn't rebuild the rear diffs for Nissan titan...had to buy the complete rear axle assembly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hellcat reliability