Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Charger/dodge GPS/NAV Radio 10 yr old maps

Old 12-27-2005, 10:35 AM
IXLR8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charger/dodge GPS/NAV Radio 10 yr old maps

I have the 6CD Navigation radio in my Charger Daytona, but the map that is included is 10 or more years old. Most of the time it shows me driving through a field even though the streets that I am driving on have been there for 10 or more years! This is not limited to one area, I have traversed about 500 square miles with similar results. Is anyone else having this problem? Would anyone else like to join me in a class action lawsuit against Dodge for false advertising? I have attempted to contact Dodge (REFERENCE NUMBER: 14413809) and the reply was:

"It is the policy of DaimlerChrysler Corporation that we do not publicly discuss specifics of future product plans. "

Sounds like a lack of support for the consumer, I hope the rest of the service does not follow this poor initial response.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:49 AM
ViperGTS
Banned
Default RE: Charger/dodge GPS/NAV Radio 10 yr old maps

lawsuit against Dodge for false advertising?
Dodge doesn't "have" to give you up-to-date anything. You made the choice of purchasing it, and you should have done research or atleast knew what you were purchasing. They don't false advertise, what Dodge does do is adveritise the GPS system itself...never the software.

I agree with you that is bogus, but I don't think suing is right. Most likely you would end up with an out of court settlement if you win, and the problem wouldn't be fixed...

-Matt-

Old 12-28-2005, 10:44 AM
IXLR8
Veteran

I have had a chance to use the Navigation software from several manufacturers:

TomTom - Good, goofy graphics
Delorme w/GPS - Streets off of actual location by as much as 400 ft, great turn by turn directions, confused when straying from path
Garmin Roadmate- About two year old maps currently, operates well
Microsoft Maps and Streets w/GPS - The Gold Standard - Nearly Perfect
Lexus - in 2004 SC430 - Excellent, even shows dirt roads on my friends hunting lease in South Texas
BMW - Very good
Dodge - Uses a database so old that it could not even be purchased today! What are they thinking.

Very few things make me this upset. When I finally pony up my money, and it is a LOT of money to buy a factory GPS system, it ends up being the the lowest rated device I have ever seen. I would say my Dodge ownership experience is at a very low point right now.

By the way Dodge, other manufacturers offer yearly updates! Lexus updates theirs every October, Mercedes offers NavUpdate yearly, all of the handheld deveices are updated regularly. I guess that just leaves Dodge with useless piece of hardware.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:40 AM
srenken
Professional

What area are you in where the street info is out of date? Can you consistently repeat the condition, and are there any other areas that you have found outdated?

Old 01-12-2006, 12:48 PM
IXLR8
Veteran

Houston, Tx

Specifically in the suburb of Katy, TX. The area has experienced some fairly explosive growth over the last 20 years. Some critical infrastructure streets are not shown at all. My travels are from central and southern Texas to Central and Southern Louisiana. At best they show poor data. Don't get me started on the restaurants that have not existed for years that show up. They should just leave that portion off it is so bad.

Proviously I have relied on city maps, and MAPSCO to provide up to date maps which are renewed yearly. City maps more than 2 to 3 years old are fairly useless unless you live in Manhattan. Even when questioning my service advisor, his reply was that there is not any updates thet he knows about, or that are planned for my Dodge GPS system.

Refer to my previous post about Dodge being the ONLY manufacturer not to have an update program available.

What an utter embarrassment!

Old 01-12-2006, 11:09 PM
srenken
Professional

Does this area show up correctly when using Yahoo Maps?

Old 01-13-2006, 04:42 PM
IXLR8
Veteran

The roads in question DO NOT show up on YAHOO MAPS. They do show up correctly on MAPQUEST. A matter of fact I cannot find ANY road or location missing on MAPQUEST, it is awesome. Just to be fair, it also DOES NOT show up on GOOGLE MAPS. However it does show up on GOOGLE EARTH. High marks for GOOGLE EARTH, it even shows 4WD (four wheel drive) roads adjacent to the roads in question.

Dodge please call MAPQUEST, send them a check, and bill us for a decent map... and give us what we have already bought but have not recived.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Overload

YOUR area might be out of date, but in my area there are roads included that are less than 5 years old.
So, what Im trying to say is that the WHOLE thing isn't 10 years old.

Overload in Colorado

Old 01-21-2006, 08:19 PM
wannahemi

While not the most up to date, my specific street was put in 4 years ago and is on the map disk included by Dodge. But there are other streets in the area that are about 3 years old that aren't, so maybe that's the timeframe it takes for the vendor (Navteq) to update their databases.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:07 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

give them a break. there are MILLIONS of miles of roads in the USA.

they are probably more worried about areas with heavy population, like Detroit, Chicago or NY

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Charger/dodge GPS/NAV Radio 10 yr old maps