Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Dealer says $500 LEDs are not covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 02:37 PM
Eddy100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer says $500 LEDs are not covered under warranty?

I have two year old charger. One of the front headlights went out and the dealer says it will cost $500 to fix as lights are only covered for 12k miles. Is that right? I would understand if they were halogens but clearly this is a manufacturing defect on a part that should last the lifetime of the car.

Old 04-14-2023, 03:35 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Have you read your warranty guide?

Old 04-14-2023, 06:20 PM
Eddy100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Have you read your warranty guide?
yeah , it says bulbs have a 12k mileage limit. Im pretty sure LEDs are not bulbs.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:35 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddy100
yeah , it says bulbs have a 12k mileage limit. Im pretty sure LEDs are not bulbs.

Well, actually they are. Just a bunch of little really intense ones. I changed my utility trailer over to LED tail lights and a couple of the LEDs in one light have quit working. Also, LEDs dim over time. Several years ago, a friend bought a Cadillac from insurance that had severe hail damage. He bought an NOS tail light unit. It was a factory part that was left over when the model was changed to the next year and sold as a crash replacement. His wife is pleased with her car but the right tail light assembly is significantly brighter than the original one.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:00 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Is it a headlight that went out or the daytime running light (DRL)? I'm not sure if the Charger ever came with LED headlights, but the DRLs are LEDs. And I don't think LEDs should be categorized as "bulbs." They are solid-state semiconductors (diodes), and they don't have a filament that burns like a bulb. If it's a headlight that went out, it may be either a halogen bulb or a high intensity discharge (HID) bulb. And the HIDs are bulbs, and I could see the dealership claiming they will cost $500 to replace between the cost of the bulb, the cost of the ballast, and the labor to get to the ballast. However quality HID bulbs and ballasts are available for MUCH less than the dealership would charge for the part, but the labor to replace them is still going to be expensive if you are not willing or able to replace them yourself, assuming you also replace the ballast.

Your owner's manual should explain which type of headlights were available on your vehicle.

-Rod

Last edited by SHO Rod; 04-14-2023 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer says $500 LEDs are not covered under warranty?