Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Tail light issue on 2019 Charger SXT

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM
cornelius967
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light issue on 2019 Charger SXT

I'm trying to help a nurse that my wife works with. She's got a 2019 Charger SXT AWD+ with Bi-function HID headlights. She was stopped yesterday for having no tail lights. I went to look at the car today, the LED Halo (for lack of a better descriptor) tail light works when the headlight switch is in the "parking" or "headlight" position, but not when it's in the "Auto" position. If the tail lights work in one position of the switch but not another, I'm assuming it got a problem with the switch. I called a buddy that works in the parts department at a Dodge dealership, but he said that they don't sell a lot of headlight switches for late model Chargers.

Anyone have any experience with this type of issue? Any other tests that I can do to conform a bad switch before I suggest that she buys a new switch (which I'll replace for her)? I've searched "Head light switch" and "no tail lights" in the Charger section of the forum without much luck. I've also scanned the first 24 pages of threads that goes back to 2019 looking for any "lights" threads to no avail.

I'm trying to keep the cost low for this friend of my wife. Thanks for any assistance...

Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,287 Likes on 3,034 Posts

I don't think the switch actually directly controls anything. I believe it simply suggests to a computer somewhere that it should turn the lights on.... or, it leaves that decision up to the computer, and the computer has a light level sensor somewhere..... Best way to figger that one out would be havin' a look at the wiring diagrams, but, considering how new it is..... They aren't readily available online yet. You *might* be able to pick up a digital copy of the Factory Service manual for a reasonable price...... Chiltons or Haynes won't be detailed enough.

Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

If she was stopped for no taillights, that officer may have meant no brake lights, unless it was dark out and the lights should have been on. Have you checked the brake lights for proper operation?

When in Auto, the taillights will only illuminate if it's dark enough or maybe if the the Daytime Running Lights are enabled. There are some manufacturers that for some reason don't turn on the taillights with the DRLs, but I don't think Chrysler is one of them.

-Rod

Old Today, 10:54 AM
cornelius967
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did check the brake lights and they appear to work properly. I'm going to have her bring the car by after work and allow me to test it more completely now that I know more about the "proper operation" of the lights which includes a "light sensor".

I anticipated the same idea that the switch doesn't control much other than the signal to the computer to set it in one of the three operation modes. But I do find it odd that the "taillights" (the LED light that surrounds the rear of the vehicle) worked properly in both "parking" and "lights" mode, but not when in "Auto".

I hope to have more info this afternoon.

I appreciate the assistance.

Old Today, 09:18 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

When you checked the lights in the Auto setting though, was it dark enough that the headlights came on? Do you know that when she was driving the car she had the switch in Auto? Were the headlights on, or were they maybe just Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) that made her think headlights were on?

-Rod

Quick Reply: Tail light issue on 2019 Charger SXT