Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Close calls or expensive stops??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:34 PM
dodgegirl67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close calls or expensive stops??

I got on a back road yesterday in my home town and opened it up and never saw where the police car came from. He pulled me over and really pissed me off right off the bat. Yes I was wrong...didnt have my seat belt on, rolled through a stop sign and got it to 92 mph before I saw him. He walked up to the car with great officer safety then he pissed me off. For some reason he put his right hand on my trunk as he walked up and started pushing on the trunk. Hard enough i had to check later to see if he dinted it. He walked up and said "could you go any faster?" I said sorry officer I was trying to get home because I have a terrible headache...He said again " could you go any faster? You ran that stop sign.." I'm thinking to myself "Damn is that all he got me for..."...I apologized again and he said for the third time " could you go any faster? ( a bit more agitated). Finally I said "well you want the truth or a lie?" He said "of course I want the truth." So I responded " I have had it pegged out" He leaned in and looked at the speed-o and said "that thing says 160"..I said "yes sir, it does" ...Then came back with "Can I see your drivers license and proof of insurance..?" Response...Open up wallet and convienently have to reach behind badge to get to insurance card...He looked at my drivers license..Rolled his eyes and said please slow down, dont roll through stop signs and put on your seat belt...I mailed him his thank you card for his professional courtesy this afternoon. WHEW...[&o]

Old 08-30-2006, 11:17 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Default RE: Close calls or expensive stops??

You dog! [sm=teetertooter.gif]

I know people in low places therefore the officer would have written me up in a heart beat.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Lateral-G
Professional

Truly amazing.......getting clocked at 92mph and blowing off a stop sign and only getting a warning............a-freaking-a-ma-zing........

You are extremely lucky you didn't get a ticket for reckless and imprudent driving or worse yet getting arrested and having your vehicle impounded.

I think you've used up all your lives...........

-G-

Old 08-31-2006, 12:26 AM
mnboy
Captain

Dodgegirl,

A pretty girl in a nice car... especially a pretty girl in a fast nice car, even better!

Professional courtesy works wonders, but you did probably burn up a couple of the seven on that one.

YOUR attitude would have been the measure here... and you passed...

MN

Old 08-31-2006, 03:48 AM
topbanna3767
Captain

if you think thats funny ,i was riding out at 3 in the morning ,so no one else is on the road(except for 5-0 of course)i was running on a local straight away.in nyc they are few and far between.so the story goes im doing about 130 ,know at the insistance of my fellow co workers in the car.(never bring over zeolous frineds in a new muscle car bad things happen all the time)so its dark and at those speeds all your concentrating on is the road and tail lights.well one set of tail lights belonged to highway patrol[>:] ....so my friends are saying hey you just buzzed highway patrol,of course im saying no way looking out the rear view mirror very quickly (still doing 130) so by now highway is about 1/2 mile behind me.....so at those speeds you just dont hit the brakes unless you want a date with the guard rail so i start slowing down now im about 3/4 of a mile finally stoped about a mile and sat there waiting .he finally caught up and as they exited the vehicle me and my fellow coworkers,are laughing and and the highway patrol asks me you know how fast you where going of course i answer depends when you saw me ....so he replyed when your car rocked my cruiser i said oh about 130 thats about right he replyed.....it was at that point we all identified ourselves as cops and the funnier part was my side seat driver and back seat driver knew the 2 guys so shortly there after where all laugh admiring the new car .with off course the smell of fresh brakes in the air .......look before i get read the riot act i know speed kills blah blah blah, we have all done things wit these kinds of cars that well maybe was a little crazy.it was the only time i did it ...(that fast anyways) so just enjoy the story for what it is and no riot act reading [sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 08-31-2006, 05:22 AM
Daytona RT
Professional

Lady & Gent,

I have to admire the "Professional courtesy," ok admittedly I envy the opportunity for the inequitable treatment shown one officer to another. Inequitable, in that had either of you pulled me over in my Daytona, doing 92 let alone 130, the chances are exceptionally good that the following would have occured.

Field Sobriety review.... Close vehicle inspection, including search... exceptionally strongly worded condemnation for the risk placed on the general public and reckless disrespect for the officer in his patrol area.. certainly would have been given a document of summons to the local traffic jurisdiction.. and possibly a set of cuffs and a ride to the local station.. all this followed by extensive cost to gain the release of the vehicle, reinstatement of insurance, payment of judgement, payment to bondsmen, time lost from work, or more likely the cost of a job search due in part to my loss of the job for reckless driving... risk to my family domestic security.. and the lasting memories for eveyone involved.

Professional courtesy.. Serve and protect.. rule of law.. seems unequitable to me..

Just the obvious unsolicited viewpoint, of one not so fortunate to be able to rely on Professional Courtesy

Old 08-31-2006, 12:25 PM
IXLR8
Veteran

Granted I was only going 47 in a 30 near my office, but I was let off. Since all other paperwork was in order and courtesy was shown to the officer, he let me off with a warning. BTW he did like the car and was waiting for his department to get a few.

See even fat old guys get break every once in a while, although I would have flashed a little man-boob to seal the deal if I had to....

Old 08-31-2006, 01:01 PM
mnboy
Captain

Professional Courtesy is variable. It isn't written in stone. Our lucky lady here, in this case, got lucky.

No one condones blowing stop signs, speeding, or not wearing a seat belt.

I wasn't there, the stop sign was maybe a slow roll through, and the speed was when it was a quieter time on the road -- all factors in the officer's judgement. Maybe if it were different, he would have started writing.

She wasn't being questioned about her sobriety -- however, now a days, the courtesy ride home is very rare indeed, brought on by the drunks themselves who couldn't STAY home.

We all have probably been given breaks. I have. And I have felt bad about it -- I felt as a law enforcement representative you should practice what you preach -- no, I am not perfect. There are times even when a fellow officer is pulled over, they do not identify themselves professionally. Several reasons, but one is embarrasment. Also, some agencies tell your agency.

I frankly feel why not extend the courtesy in minor cases. When I go home at night, and hear sirens, I'm very glad I'm home and not flying down a dark road at 130 running code 3 to a situation that might be my last...

MN

Marty, this should have been a general post. I didn't mean to look like I was going after you...

Old 08-31-2006, 02:27 PM
topbanna3767
Captain

well daytona rt sorry about the whole bail bonds thing that would suck [>:]......but hey we all have jobs and when you have that job certain perks come with them for a vacumm sales man free vacums ,for a car parts person discount auto parts (free im sure as well) ,etc etc etc ......le get professional courtesy heck its about the only thing we can get without loosing our jobs for........heck depending on what part of the country your in guys write each other in there own depts (sad really)....a highway guy here in nyc pulled over a las angles sheriff and was going to say take care and have a nice day,this idiot was brain washed by serve and protect was insulted he didnt get a ticket and told him had the situation been reversed he would have written him, so he happly helped to not 1 but 2 .....my philosophy is simply ,criminals dont see dept or jurisdiction and nether do i all le get a break ,including a ride home if neccesary.heck he may have had 1 to many because he lost a partner or some other god awful reason like seeing a little kid burn to death in a fire,dont ever be quick to judge.besides i have written a ticket now in close too 4 years ,my last shooting has kept me grounded in house didnt do anything wrong just shall we say sometimes things are better off not said [>:] real bummer......

Old 08-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Lateral-G
Professional

Now for the other side of the coin................

I was pulled over for not having a front plate and given a ticket.

I wasn't speeding, driving erratically or anything else. I was courtesous and polite and acknowledged I didn't have a plate on the front and that it was in my trunk if the officer wanted to see it. No matter to him, he was upholding the law and told me so in no uncertain terms. He and his partner both approached my car with weapons drawn, and this was in the parking lot of the office complex where I worked (I was on my way back from getting lunch at the local Quizno's). A real high crime area...NOT!

Now I can see getting a ticket for speeding or blowing off a stop sign or improper lane usage, but a front plate not being displayed????

My brother-in-law is a cop in a local municipality and he laughed his *** off when I told him. He knew I'd get pulled over one day in what he calls my "Pull me over! I'm yellow!" car. In all his years he's NEVER given a ticket for a front plate not being displayed. The only time he said they would ever consider it is if they pulled someone over for speeding or other violation and the guy was being excessivle rude or abusive. He took the ticket, contacted the local DA and they quietly got rid of it. He said the guy doing the stop was a part time employee that worked one a month or less for FREE. The other officer with him was a full time patrolman just riding along to keep an eye on him. I guess certain departments have these "freebie" officers. (perhaps our other law enforcement officials on this forum can comment) Anyway this guy was just looking for ANYTHING and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

BTW I have vanity plates and there's no way, now how I'm going to drill holes in the front bumper of my TB Daytona. So I guess I live with the consequences.

-G-

Quick Reply: Close calls or expensive stops??