Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Exaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 02:36 AM
CHARGER R/T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exaust?

Hey guys, I was wondering what kind of exaust I should add to the Charger, Borla's or Flomaster Super 40's? What do you guys think and what do you have?

Thanx!

Old 09-09-2006, 12:54 PM
mnboy
Captain
Default RE: Exaust?

R/T,

I'll just jump in here, as I usually do...

I have a Daytona model and replaced the resonator and two rear mufflers with a Magnaflow system. The DRONE drove me into hating the system and at replacing MF's Tru-X muffler with the stock suitcase resonator to quiet it down in the MDS mode. After spending $700 for the system, I've ended up with three resonators ( I kept the two rear chrome 4" MF resonators in the back). Pretty expensive for just two 4" chrome (resonator) tips...

This whole exhaust thing has been discussed and is strictly personal as to what you like. Some like Corsa, some Borla, some Flowmaster. Even got an owner here with electric cut-outs. But for me, I love the sound of Flowmaster 40, two chambers I had on my big block 440 with headers. However, my new baby Hemi small block being computer controlled, I don't mind the system I have, especially when I'm on trips. Oh sure, I'd like to rumble through town on a Friday night, but after awhile, you start to hate the noise, especially when the MDS kicks in and you can't hear a conversation in the car. Turning up the stereo (TM) to me, just adds to the noise...

I've had loud. Now she barks only when in wide open throttle.

That's what I have .

MN

Old 09-10-2006, 01:11 AM
57HEMMI

I have a 2006 R/t and everyone knows that a Hemi put out its own tones unlike any other...

I Took mine to my local Ma and Paw Muffler shop where it was suggested to cut off the Resonator and replace it with straight pipe. The whole thing Costed about $75.00 and Now it sounds like a Hemi Should. Driving it regular Drive Mode it puts out a nice gentle Growl, But Drop him down into Manual Mode And you will have everyone looking for the Mean **** Car putting out that Awsome Sound.

For Example: I Crusing down the Freeway doing about 80 MPH in Manual Mode Growling on everyone when a CHP Officer Enters onto the Freeway, He Cant see me But he Can Hear me. By the time he catches up I've already dropped it into Drive Mode Going Stelth and the Officer is stuck just looking around for the Bad **** Sounding Car that just Flew By.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:16 PM
BigBananna3796of4000
Captain

I chopped out the resonators and put FLowmaster 40's in. Overall I like but the drone is really loud. If you want a hot rod sound and can put up with the drone go for it.

I wish I could have both worlds meaning loud sound NO drone. Not sure if you can have both.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:27 PM
440nix
Rookie

o.k. i just put on some mopar long tube headers on my buddys bannana's daytona. we left the stock ehaust it and it sound perfect.
it has a little snot sound to it during acc. but when you hit it it rours nice.
i have corsa on my daytona and its a bit louder but not but, sounds tough.
after hearing it with stock exaust i say i wasted money on corsa.
i'll stay with the stock

go mango 1342
mopar cai
mopar headers
rear defuser
corsa exhaust

73 charger se 440

Old 09-12-2006, 01:23 AM
mnboy
Captain

440nix,

The full tube headers on your buddies Daytona sound nice, however, it seems silly, well, I know it is personal taste, but why leave the small rear mufflers on the car with their tiny 2" exhaust choaking inner tubes? If you go to all that trouble of headers, you'd think you'd top it off with high flow all the way through...

Just wondering.

MN

Old 09-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Daytona RT
Professional

<Falls into the mindless blank expression.. lips part to repeat the well known montra>

"Cut out the suitcase muffler.. straight pipe for duel exhaust.. leave the tips on.. Good"

Old 09-12-2006, 12:56 PM
440nix
Rookie

mindless[>:], those are for the people that make mod and bitch because it's not what they expected.
yea the high flow cat bottle from 2-1/2 to 2-1/4 .thats the same as stock without the drone.
dont think you get more horsepower from 1/4 inch different exhaust.
what 2-5 horse's.
750.00 is just not worth 5 horse's
first of all you need to know what your taklking about.
i rather start at the bottom and work my way up before i spend thous $$
and going back down.
i like the people that make mods and then ask other people was this the right mod because there not sure.
maybe that free flow exhaust is what is causing the drone.
take a look at the mopar performance catalog for mopar 2-1/2 exhaust
in the mopar catalog.

go mango 1342
mopar cai
mopar headers
rear defuser
corsa exhaust

73 charger se 440

Old 09-12-2006, 01:03 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

I haven't personally seen/heard the Mopar headers, but I'd bet their kick booty.

I'm w/you on the stock exhaust thing. I haven't reached the point where the whole setup benifits from it. Once a cam and heads are added to my setup I think the CATBack will work nicely with the rest of the mods.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:36 PM
mnboy
Captain

440nix,

Are you implying I am mindless and not knowing what I am talking about?

Am I missing the point somewhere?

I wasn't dissing your friend.

MN

Quick Reply: Exaust?