Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

new chargers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006 | 11:38 AM
IXLR8
Veteran
Default RE: new chargers

HAL does not give us the full 350hp now! So quit yer bitchin....

Lobotomize HAL and you will be free to partake in whatever foolish behavior your heart desires. Personally I would like the option to turn it back on for normal use. My friend with a C5 Corvette, who is an excellent driver, put his car in ditch within 15 seconds of turning off his traction control... My brother went the the Porsche driving school at Road Atlanta and said that after losing their first dozen cars, they have removed the ability of the students to turn-off the stability control system. Since then not a single loss, and they are still fast as enough to scare you.

There is a time and a place for it, just not at the tree, with 1/2 mile of straight track ahead of you...

Dodge, are ya listening to any of this?

Old 09-20-2006 | 01:09 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: IXLR8

HAL does not give us the full 350hp now! So quit yer bitchin....

Lobotomize HAL and you will be free to partake in whatever foolish behavior your heart desires. Personally I would like the option to turn it back on for normal use. My friend with a C5 Corvette, who is an excellent driver, put his car in ditch within 15 seconds of turning off his traction control... My brother went the the Porsche driving school at Road Atlanta and said that after losing their first dozen cars, they have removed the ability of the students to turn-off the stability control system. Since then not a single loss, and they are still fast as enough to scare you.

There is a time and a place for it, just not at the tree, with 1/2 mile of straight track ahead of you...

Dodge, are ya listening to any of this?

Geez. And I was just thinking of trading in the 340 hp R/T for a 375 hp Daytona. []

But, I agree. I would like to have it when I need it. I know traction control has been around for a while, but, has it always been this kind, i.e., that you can't, completely, turn it off? Just wondering.

dave

Old 09-20-2006 | 02:16 PM
mnboy
Captain

Dave,

Interesting reading here. My 21 year old son had a C5 ZO6 Corvette and without traction control it was able to leap tall buildings with a single bound... LOL. He never did put it in the ditch... I was with him a couple times at 160 and even faster in his STi. He raced at Willowbrook (CA) and kept up with Porches. How fast do we need to go? I've had my Daytona up to 125 -- I'm sure it would go faster, but I wasn't in a race or pursuing someone.

In all of this, just like 3767 says, time will tell.

Ah, we are a product of our times... we want it NOW.

MN

Old 09-20-2006 | 03:24 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

Hi, Randal,

Yep. I know what ya mean. I've had mine up to 120 and that's as fast as I need to go. It's the gettin' there - I want to get there NOW!

Guess I'm still disappointed in my times at the track. I thought it would do better than it did.

dave

Old 09-20-2006 | 06:52 PM
Nicky B
Captain

Well with headers, exhaust, cai, superchip with some good tires can get you in the mid 13's maybe better thats plenty fast for me. And if you don't mid voiding your warrenty adding alittle 50shot of nitrous and you are in the 12's.

Old 09-20-2006 | 09:52 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

I don't know if it will go that well in this altitude. I calculated the density altitude today, and its still over 7000 feet. I think I can get her into the 14s, but won't use NOS. That's the easy way . I'd rather spend the money on a turbo charger if I was going to go that route. Just don't care for NOS. But that's just me. Please don't take it personal. Guess I'm just old school (I know I'm old ).

dave

Old 09-21-2006 | 01:03 AM
Nicky B
Captain

ORIGINAL: 74scamp

I don't know if it will go that well in this altitude. I calculated the density altitude today, and its still over 7000 feet. I think I can get her into the 14s, but won't use NOS. That's the easy way . I'd rather spend the money on a turbo charger if I was going to go that route. Just don't care for NOS. But that's just me. Please don't take it personal. Guess I'm just old school (I know I'm old ).

dave
But you can't argue with 50HP for $650. And if you PM me I can tell you who to email to get a turbo kit for the charger for only $3300.

Old 09-21-2006 | 12:29 PM
mnboy
Captain

Dave,

Yeah, I was thinking you'd be a little quicker too. But, maybe altitude, but you'd think the air/fuel sensor would figure that out, based on air thinness...

What are you planning next? Any other mods or changes you thinking?

I've left mine as is for now (K&N CAI, fresh air mod, Jet 2, and MF rear tips) pending the real HP and changes Dodge and Mopar come up with in the next few winter months. IF THEY come out with a factory hi-po cam that is under warranty, I might go that way. I want to keep that bit of warranty I still have ( I'm 1/3rd through it ).

I'm still waiting for MoparMike to get back to us on his supercharger to see what the real story is. But, like Nicky says, NOS is a fast, and much safer nowadays with that ZEX computer controller, way to go for the money. Oh, well, time will tell, eh?

MN

Old 09-21-2006 | 02:45 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

I know. NOS is quick, easy and relatively cheap. But its just not for me. I'm not ready for super charging or turbo charging now.

I'm going to go in with only 1/4 tank of gas (instead of the 3/4 I went with the first time). I'm gonna lower the air pressure in the rear tires and try for better traction/60 foot times, and change to Mobile 1 oil. I'm going to try launching at a lower rpm and just "drive" away instead of mashing the peddle through the floor board for a better 60 foot time. Who knows. I'm sure someone much more experienced than I could maybe have gotten her to go better. But its been a while

dave

Old 09-21-2006 | 08:02 PM
Nicky B
Captain

ORIGINAL: 74scamp

I know. NOS is quick, easy and relatively cheap. But its just not for me. I'm not ready for super charging or turbo charging now.

I'm going to go in with only 1/4 tank of gas (instead of the 3/4 I went with the first time). I'm gonna lower the air pressure in the rear tires and try for better traction/60 foot times, and change to Mobile 1 oil. I'm going to try launching at a lower rpm and just "drive" away instead of mashing the peddle through the floor board for a better 60 foot time. Who knows. I'm sure someone much more experienced than I could maybe have gotten her to go better. But its been a while

dave
Well yeah that half tank of gas with save you about 50pounds of extra weight. And I was told by a charger owner who put 245's or 255's in the rear and he said that really helped with traction so you might want to look into some better tires.

Quick Reply: new chargers