Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Charger Power BS

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006 | 05:22 AM
Daytona RT
Professional
Default RE: Charger Power BS

Since the beginning of my time with this community, I have tried to help the performance owner to understand the 5.7 unit's potential & limitations. DCX did a great deal of modern techno tweeks to get the 340/350 (fwhp) out of a 5.7 liter, 340 ci engine. Think about it for a time and anyone will see the rewards of their engineering, but few have been willing to see the risks. I won't bother anyone with repeating what is already public record., however its a fine line between potential horsepower and consuming itself, because the owner overstretched the unit's engineering.

I think thats what has a few of my good friends upset. Not only has DCX put into place hobbles to keep the unit from attaining exceptional power potential, but now they are notifying their service professionals that units are vulnerable to high performance modifications, that repair issues are very possible; that from the business point of view, warrantee issues need to be established.

So I have three choices:

1. Thoroughly enjoy the unit and the type I & II modifications we've made. Drive the bearings off the mouse motor, with the understanding that it was never designed for the 12 second 1/4 mile. It is what it is. Smile and be happy.

2. Go directly to the dealership, announce your condemnation for the restrictions placed on the unit, your absolute intention of making a 12 second street/strip vehicle out of the sedan, and that you wish to close your warrantee; where applicable get your residual money back. If your graphic enough you can help them visualize taking the warrantee booklet and inserting it.... (well you get the point)

3. You can take your unit, remove your mods and trade it for anything from a two wheel crotch rocket, to a 300SL Turbo, attain your 12 second 1/4 mile and spend the later years with the memory, "Man it was comfortable, duel climate, great sounds, and a certain love of spankin the pony and gut'n the goat."

Charger BS ?? Well perhaps.. or rather perhaps it was simply a case of good people that buy into the hype, envying the hemi owner and failing to do his homework to research the specifics of his purchase, before hand.

I did & I got exactly what I paid for... No BS.

Old 09-26-2006 | 12:31 PM
BigBananna3796of4000
|
Captain

I agree with you they are all Fare Weather Fans!!!!!!

Booooooohoooooooooo Hooooooooooo

Old 09-26-2006 | 01:18 PM
mnboy
Captain

Daytona RT,

My BS meter isn't pegged either. I, too, love my Daytona. But, my contension was that the 6.1 should have been dropped into the Daytona for a real total package. Ok. I'm over it. I love my Daytona and have NEVER missed my 70's muscle car that was actually slower on the top end, got horrible gas mileage, road like a lumber wagon, had no A/C, but certainly did sound better than my Daytona. Sure it was my rolling bank account, but now someone else can have the headaches of a 35 year old car...

You make good points.

Mark me on the side with the Dodge Boys... also.

MN

Old 09-26-2006 | 03:48 PM
TorRedOrv0436
Veteran

Well said, the Charger is a family sedan, if you thought it was a 12 second 1/4 miler i some ocean front property in arizona for sale. What the car is, is a good performing family sedan, nothing more ,nothing less.

I have my GSXR-1000k6 for the 9.8 second 1/4 mile runs.

Old 09-26-2006 | 09:23 PM
topbanna3767
Captain

I THINK MN MAY BE ONTO SOMETHING WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO PUT THE 6.1 AS A PROJECT MOTOR INTO THE 6.1.THE TRANNY WOULD MATCH RIGHT UP THE COMPUTERS MAY NEED TO BE SWAPPED AND MAYBE THE REAR END ANY THOUGHTS IM SURE THAT SOME ONE HAS TO HAVE CRASHED AN SRT8 BY NOW ..........

Old 09-26-2006 | 09:29 PM
chargin69
Rookie

I have my eyes on a totaled SRT 8 at the local salvage auction. If it doesn't go for stupid money im on it like a bonnett!!!!

Quick Reply: Charger Power BS