Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

tranny and engine oil coolers

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006 | 05:10 AM
topbanna3767
|
Captain
Default tranny and engine oil coolers

hi there everyone quick question for those that may know the police package includes engine oil tranny oil power stearing oil coolers.the stock daytonas what set up do they have ,i only ask because i want to add a heavy duty tranny and engine oil coolers,to my car know i see a cooler in front of the fan but cant tell what it is ? i fugure with the mods continuing and the tranny getting closer and closer to its max id like to keep it extra cooler .i see gsm also sells the engine oil cooler but not one for a tranny any ways .also wonder if dodge will sell them to the open public ? any thoughts?

Old 09-26-2006 | 01:27 PM
mnboy
Captain
Default RE: tranny and engine oil coolers

You've talked about this before and I think I gave my opinion to you, but seriously, if you aren't running at high speeds for miles to stop speeders then sitting at idle for long times to write tickets -- or if you aren't in heavy slow traffic for hours, you probably don't need to put those coolers on. Those coolers were put on the police and taxi packages for "severe service".

I am positive you don't drive your car like they do!

MN

Old 09-26-2006 | 01:53 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

^^^^^===== What mnboy said, agreed.

Old 09-26-2006 | 04:20 PM
topbanna3767
|
Captain

you guys i think are missing my point as we get into the highr hp and torque bands not originally designed i think the trannys breaking point is propably between 425-450 the tranny coolers could help maybe extend that rating or protect them better the closer we get to that plateau.

Old 09-26-2006 | 06:23 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

When your talking that higher HP I admit I was off.

GSM has their remote oil cooler, Code: HMIROC ListPrice: $395.00

I belive the smaller radiator in from of the engine radiator is for the tranny. I'm not 100% sure because I haven't looked close enough (I'll be 100% sure after the cam swap because the tranny lines are unhooked to do the swap).

I would bet that one could find a larger radiator for the tranny and mounting it wouldn’t be an issue. I don’t have any idea of any issues that may arise from over cooling or if you can over cool it.

Old 09-26-2006 | 09:21 PM
topbanna3767
|
Captain

HI MANGO LET ME KNOW HOW THE CAM PROJECT GOES THERE HAS TO BE A HIGHER POWERED COOLER,BECAUSE THERE PUTTING THEM IN THE POLICE PACKAGE .

Old 09-27-2006 | 12:43 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Will do, I'm buying a little insurance on the CAM and going w/the beehive springs/retainers, I was afraid of valve float. I'm waiting for the retainers to be delivered. I also anteed up for Manley push rods their coming w/the retainers. If I get them in time it will be done this weekend if not it will be next weekend.

Back to the tranny cooler... it should be a matter of matching up the hose connections (may not be an issue if it's a fitting) and then there's the matter of figuring out how much extra dexron it will take to keep the tranny happily juiced up.

Old 09-28-2006 | 01:53 PM
mnboy
Captain

Don't waste your money.

First, look at the temp gauges when you are normally driving. Write the numbers down for tranny, oil, and water temps. Now, on a hot day, take it to the track or down the road and have some fun. Or even drive it in hot, slow, traffic. Look at the numbers again. How much difference are they?

If it's not a significant change, there is no reason to be putting on expensive useless equipment.

I drove my Charger in the heat of Nevada and Southern CA in June with the A/C on and a car full of three big Irishmen with a trunk full of luggage. The water temp didn't budge. I didn't check the tranny or oil temp, but since the water temp didn't move, I assumed the rest was being taken care of too, but I really don't know.

I'm sure a state trooper driving a blood run puts MUCH more stress than anyone at the track. Believe me, you DON'T drive like that. Nor do you let your car idle for hours in the heat at an accident scene. I've been there and done that. Even guys at the track are clueless what goes on with a typical squad car...

MN

Quick Reply: tranny and engine oil coolers