Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

ive been doing some research

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:56 PM
topbanna3767
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ive been doing some research

but what is the breaking point of the tranny is the point of this thread ! past trannys are cool but at what point do these trannys say i surrender .i again ask because when these cars get pushed to the edge which is already happening ,the tranny is gonna go so ill say again do you think you know what the snaping point might be ? ive read earlier in this thread that 500 tq pounds is max but a secure answer would be best.im getting the remaining parts for my motor project this week .and gonna be ordering a new block from mopar performance later next week.propably more like 2 weeks waiting on tax return .Can anyone say upgrades

Old 01-10-2007, 12:09 AM
IXLR8
Veteran

'Cuz ya asked so nicely, here is your answer:
http://www.kleemann.dk/site/75AA8CA3...1E6D6E94AF.pdf

They are a Mercedes performance house, but they do list the rating for the W5A580 5-Speed automatic transmission you are using. What you want the number too? Ok its rated for 580Nm. What? You want me to convert that too... 580 x .74 = 429.2 ft/lbs Constant Load (Momentary Load Ratings are 35% Higher - 579.42 ft/lbs)

Looks like the SRT is already maxing it out....

It appears that Mercedes has a range of transmissions from W5A330 (330 Nm) to W5A1000 (1000 Nm). Pay attention, the last numeric digits are the torque rating of the transmission in Newton meters or Nm.

Lesson over.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 AM
topbanna3767
Captain

i am so sorry , didnt mean to sound snippy. its just that ive been so fustrated with this tranny issue now that i have the answer i thanks you very much[sm=drlove.gif][sm=imsorry.gif]

Old 01-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Armageddes
Rookie

IXLR8:

So true. I worked at a transmission shop through college and grad school in the late '80s early '90s (I actually liked to go to work then). I didn't know enough to be critical of people with more automotive skill than me. However, I did know that most of the people that mattered on Mopar's engineering and design team had to be doing LSD.

When I think about it, most of the people I knew who drove old Mopars probably did LSD, too. Ripped seats and a primer paint-job was the norm and I thought -- these cars are rough. Now I wish I had stolen one.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:03 AM
IXLR8
Veteran

i am so sorry , didnt mean to sound snippy
You were not snippy, I was just feeling cocky.... It took me over an hour to find the information. It was amazing how many references there were to the transmission, but soooo little information actually existed. It is almost like DCX did not want you to know.

Now how do I shoehorn one of the W5A1000 transmissions into my Daytona?

There were a number of comparisons between the AMG and DCX versions of the software in the transmission. Apparently the AMG tranny software is amazing, smooth shifting, a real work of art.The same guy who programmed the AMG, also programmed the DCX version... Do you think he was biased? I do.
By the way, the Mercedes version has one thing that the DCX version does not, it can lock the torque converter in any gear, the DCX only in top gear. That means more power to the roadin every gear with the Mercedes unit.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:41 AM
topbanna3767
Captain

cool im glad where begining to talk about this tranny issue .im tinkering with the idea of the 1000 tranny as well ,ive contacted kleeman and the companies localy that deal with them maybe ill get some info to pass along.the guys at aps torque engineers told me there working on a tranny solution as well .so well see what happens

Old 01-11-2007, 06:12 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

Actually, I was referring to the crate motors based on the old 426 Hemis, not the original motors as installed originally in the old muscle cars. Quality control was NOT at the top of the list for Mopar Performance on these, and some of the wedge motors as well.

dave

Old 01-12-2007, 12:07 AM
topbanna3767
Captain

hi there everyone ,p.s giving a shoutout to ix for the info,i confered with klemann today and this is what they said.there are 2 available transmissions that will go in as direct bolt ins ,and thanks to the merecedes merger there is the tranny in the amg55 supercharged 2003 or higher tranny which will hold upto 663 torque pounds with a 35 percent momentary higher load and this ones my favorite the v12 tranny thats in the amg 65 2005 or higher trans mercedes dealers wont be able to order part without a vin.so here is a solution, ebay pick a vin at will order away.the amg 65 tranny will hold uptoabout 800 torque pounds closer to 900 though again with 35 percent momentary higher loads ,same deal withoredering it find the car on ebay swip vin and 6100 dollars later walla new tranny .prices vary and they have swaping programs where if you give them a core unit price is cut in half around 3800 ,but unless you happen to have a tranny laying around i dony see how you would get around it .i am very happy today

Old 01-12-2007, 12:37 AM
IXLR8
Veteran

Well 3767 it looks as though you have found nirvana... Now the only mod left for you to do is the JATO add-on...

Pleeez send pix.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:58 AM
topbanna3767
Captain

jato ? whats that .......

Quick Reply: ive been doing some research