Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

ive been doing some research

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:35 PM
topbanna3767
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ive been doing some research

seems that no one can give a firm answer as to the breaking point of the tranny.so im left in a funny puzzle.if i beef up the motor like i wanna,well more like gonna.the tranny will propably go bye bye real soon.so the problem im having is that .THERE IS NO DAMN TRANNY ON THE MARKET.YES IM YELLING.with the exception of keisler who has a 6 sp tranny coming out around the summer time.now if some one has any ideas im listening.some might say well just wait for the 6 spd ,i like that idea but there are a few problems with a 6 spd tranny 1) ever been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 3 hrs i live in nyc this is a big issue2) major mods need to be done firewall cutting for extra peddle center console cutting out the floor for stick.
so automatic is much more appealing only for these factors ive spoken to aps the same company that makes the new aps torque converter and they said they are activly looking for a solution.my question is how activly searching they are .my opinion to spend all that money on motor and supercharger nos etc .then step on the gas peddle and go 0-60 in 3 hours after the tow truck gets there isnt my idea of a good day .so tranny must be addressed only question is that i currently have no options.again unless some one has any ideas.this is a question that must be asked ,what is mopar doing on this issue.there making all these crate motors you can buy 392 motors 502 hemis etc but what are we supposed to make them too .

Old 01-08-2007, 02:25 AM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker
Default RE: ive been doing some research

should be ok till you get over 400 hp with the auto

Old 01-08-2007, 03:45 AM
topbanna3767
Captain

oh im definintley going over 400 more like around 600-700 well see what happens hopefully someone will step up and get it done.i mean i dont understand mopar they come out with all these new motors and no trannys ? thats like putting on a condom after going to a ***** house it doesnt make any sense.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:18 AM
IXLR8
Veteran

Transmissions are torque rated, they are never horsepower rated. And I heard the figure of 500 ft/lbs bandied about for the Chargers transmission, as the maximum usable torque.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:49 AM
BOBLOM
Professional

If it is true our trans is the same from a benz's. Why not look into thier trans. Im sure a sle 450 or up with an amg monster motor is kicking out big ponies .

Old 01-08-2007, 03:26 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

There is a local guy that has bored/stroked and super charged his SRT-8 and supposedly is dyno'd at 570 at the rear wheels. I'll try to get a hold of him and see if he's had any issues with the tranny so far.

dave

Old 01-08-2007, 03:59 PM
topbanna3767
Captain

cool thanks ,i just find it hard to believe that no one has yet looked at the tranny issue .i realize that benz makes other trannys for 450 or amg 500 .but there are matting issues and fitment .i just cant believe mopar is makinga ll these new crate motors some making insane amounts of power, but they have yet to address the tranny .to me it make no sense unless our trannys can actually hold up to insane amounts of torque.but it would be nice to find out what the tq limit is before a trip to macco is neccesary

Old 01-08-2007, 04:59 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

I have done some work with the older Mopars, and I have to tell you that, although there is an on-going movement to improve things, Mopar Performance is/was not recognized for particularly well made (read poor quality control), or sensible/useable products. Guys that bought crate hemis had to tear them down and go through them completely to make sure that the tolerances were correct, crank saddles were straight, oil passages completely opened up, etc. So, it doesn't really surprise me that they haven't addressed the tranny issues.

dave

Old 01-09-2007, 05:39 AM
topbanna3767
Captain

thats because mexicans are building the engines in mexico.but ill ber waiting for an answer from you very interested in your response

Old 01-09-2007, 09:20 AM
IXLR8
Veteran

Actually Dave, I think that the Mopar muscle car era, ie. 63-71 year models, pretty much all had very poor build quality, poor fit and finish, and rusted out far quicker than their competitors. However the one strong point that they had was a VERY reliable power train. The Mopar engine and torqueflite transmission were bulletproof. The 4 speed manual tranny was very robust. However the Mopar of that era lives on only in name. The cars that Dodge builds to today, are far superior in every way. Working on a used car lot in the mid 70's, I saw quite a few Mopars muscle cars come through, like Super Bee's, Roadrunners, Hemi'Cudas, Challengers, and even the Swinger 340's. I personally thought they were crappy cars, all of them. They left such a bad taste in my mouth that it took 30 years to get it out. But finally in 2006 I found that they finally did start making some decent cars, and I bought one. Do I think it has Toyota build quality and reliability? No. But it is true to the spirit of the original muscle cars, and they bring back some fond memories.

Quick Reply: ive been doing some research