Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

Lean Burn to Regular burn

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:13 PM
justfrfun
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lean Burn to Regular burn

I know many of us have done away with the "black box". But i have not done it personally. I found a early 70's truck with the no bs carb on it and also took the distributor for the vacuum advance. Put both on a 87 5th ave and it would only spark when the "Black box" was plugged in. I figured it passed through there some how. Now I read I need a new electric ignition for the early 70,s stuff. Not a real biggie. Pulled engine installed headers and cleaned everything all up.Now were getting to the distributor,coil stuff. I pulled the old wire harness for the Black box. Is there any way it can be Bridged. I see water temp,oil psi,went through the harness as well or am I sol and have to build a harness.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 PM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks

I wanted to do the swap out when I had my 84 5th Ave, from what I learned you will need to swap the intake, carb, and distributor. I havent heard that the gauges were controlled by the box. I just decided that since it was running like a clock I wasnt going to bother messing with it. What I would do is chase the wires from the harness that connects to the box, if I remember right a couple of them goto the distributor also.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:58 PM
justfrfun
Rookie

Yeah they do cause the box controls the timing. I havent heard of swaping intakes but that would clean up all the vacuum ports.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:12 PM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks

Youre right now I remember that one of the factors that made me abandon doing the change over. I'll have to look and see if the repair book I have has a schematic so if you need any wires identified I could help you out.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:14 PM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks

B.T.W if you need a pair of new u-joints, a pair of belts and the left and right radiator supports I have them, let me know if they are of any use to you.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:07 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

just find the service manual , the year, that the parts come from. make the lean burn car match the service manual. the easy est way to foof up is not haveing the wrong ballast. there is two boxs on the reg electronic ign. one has 5 pins, it must use a duel balist resister. the 4 pin box can use the single balist. or the duel balist. but the single is best. ALLWAYS carry extra resisters.

Last edited by moe7404; 06-10-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Lean Burn to Regular burn