Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

Modern Hemi in a drag Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:06 AM
LeForce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modern Hemi in a drag Challenger

Got a 1970 drag challenger that has been in storage for the past 20 years (see the attached images). I'm about to restore & upgrade the car. I'd like to install a modern Hemi engine along with an auto transmission. I'm considering the Edelbrock gen3 426 supercharged Hemi, mainly because it's offered as full engine package including the wiring harness & ECM. I don't have much experience in muscle cars, what would be the best auto tranny to fit with such engine? Also I wonder if any shops/vendors offer a some sort of 'swap kit' including all the engine swap parts needed such as engine/tranny mounts & perhaps a driveshaft.
I'd appreciate your feedback

Old 09-12-2018, 08:09 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd go with the eight speed transmission from a Hellcat or Demon!

Old 09-12-2018, 09:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

What's the end goal for the car? Do you want to drive it, or race it? Considering that looks a LOT like a 426 under the hood now...... I would be very tempted to keep it as original as possible, and build what you have.

That said, I think Mopar offers crate motors with all the electronics, and even has options for transmissions...... Likely have to find a drivetrain shop to custom make a driveshaft for ya though.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:25 PM
LeForce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it's a 426, what do you suggest? I'm tempted to swap to a modern engine since maintaining those carburetors might prove challenging nowadays & I'd be increasing the HP output in the process, perhaps to around 800HP or maybe a little less. The car is strictly for drag racing, no road use. I'm installing Wilwood brakes converting the rear drums to disc brakes, changing all lines & hoses, installing an aftermarket radiator & fans, oil cooler, a roll cage, new tires, and a chute kit. Would the Mopar engine/tans combo fit right in or do I have to fabricate mounts?

Old 09-12-2018, 05:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Oh, I would be there would be a fair bit of fabrication to be done to get everything to mount up.

Was that an original Hemi car? If it is, it would be a shame to change it..... (yep, that's nostalgia you hear there. )

What kind of budget did you have in mind? Ma Mopar is now doing the "Hellcrate" engine. Quick and easy 700+ horsepower engine.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Somehow i missed this thread! Something you may want to consider if this is a real hemi car. It's value! Only 287 where built in 1970. If it where mine i would keep the 426 and upgrade the carbs ignition and a few other things. I like the hydraulic brake booster!

Quick Reply: Modern Hemi in a drag Challenger