Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1960 Dodge D100 Sweptline

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 10:00 PM
drummerdad
Professional
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats a good looking truck with tons of potential. I hope it isnt against forum policy, but check out sweptline.org. They are for sweptline trucks only, and there are some very knowledgeable people there. You will find the dodge trucks are difficult. There arent many parts available. You might not be able to get enough parts to make that engine run. And you might have to update some things too, like brakes, clutch, engine, transmission...Wait till you start looking for repair panels and sheetmetal. Im building a 67, but it was never planned to be original. Good luck with the truck. Ill be watching this build.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:04 PM
Robs Rusty Stuff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the site reference. That's one I had not yet found. Yea I realize parts may be a challenge. I may have to re power with something else but I will cross one bridge at a time. I have found the door pocket floor panels and cab floor panels on line. I will have to use my wits and creativity like I did on the peddle assembly. Also I have a bed I bought from a more modern Chevy that has the same rise and dip pattern measurement that I plan on using for donor material to replace the bed floor. The one change I plan is to upgrade the breaks just a bit. I was planning to at least install a separated master. The original did not separate front and back breaks thus a fluid loss in any part means no breaks. I have been considering putting disks in the front. But the drum break parts seem to still be available on Rock Auto so that has not yet been completely decided.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:15 PM
drummerdad
Professional
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Upgrading brakes is a good thing for safety, but its a nightmare also. The new brake booster conversions work, but they use new parts, which are metric. Then you have to convert to standard and run new lines and a combination valve, residual pressure valves, proportioning valves.....The part of my build I have hated the most is the brakes. Literally dozens of trip to the local stores for fittings. And I havent even bleed them yet, or checked for leaks.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:53 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 349 Likes on 329 Posts

I would get the brake parts from a later 70's dodge pick up (booster/master/prop valve). You will probably end up making your own lines anyway and you can get rubber lines made to fit any combo at a hydraulic line shop. If it where mine i would drop in a LA/magnum small block with a 42rh. Power to move it and overdrive to get to the shows with out revving it to 3K. But that's my opinion. You may want to check out this link, They have a lot of rubber restoration parts for older vehicles. And you can get the bed steel new (reproduction). A lot better than removing rusty steel and trying to reuse it..

Quick Reply: 1960 Dodge D100 Sweptline