Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1967 dodge at4 114 steering box

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 09:47 PM
farmtruk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 dodge at4 114 steering box

Hey
New here. Don't know if this has already been posted somewhere. Want some help with what my options are. The worm gear on the manual steering box is done and I've rung a dozen places and no one seems to be able to help.
Part number on the box is TL-522995
Part number on the worm gear is TL-523081
Does anyone know where to get a rebuild kit or what people are retro fitting in?

Cheers

Old 09-04-2023, 10:28 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by farmtruk
Hey
New here. Don't know if this has already been posted somewhere. Want some help with what my options are. The worm gear on the manual steering box is done and I've rung a dozen places and no one seems to be able to help.
Part number on the box is TL-522995
Part number on the worm gear is TL-523081
Does anyone know where to get a rebuild kit or what people are retro fitting in?

Cheers

Are you located in N.Z. or Oz.? It looks like you have a RHD vehicle. Post a picture of your truck so I can go by body style. My interchange books come up to 1980 or so and go back to the 1920's. However, Chrysler often reused older tooling in Oz so your truck may not look like a U.S. version of the truck. Finding a used unit will usually be your best bet but before I can start looking, I need to see the entire truck and as much detail on it as possible.

I have a friend in Oz who fools with old stuff and he might be able to source one down under. Just a view of the engine though doesn't tell me much. The only RHD vehicle around here are old mail trucks, but there again, I need to see the whole truck.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:56 PM
farmtruk

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Are you located in N.Z. or Oz.? It looks like you have a RHD vehicle. Post a picture of your truck so I can go by body style. My interchange books come up to 1980 or so and go back to the 1920's. However, Chrysler often reused older tooling in Oz so your truck may not look like a U.S. version of the truck. Finding a used unit will usually be your best bet but before I can start looking, I need to see the entire truck and as much detail on it as possible.

I have a friend in Oz who fools with old stuff and he might be able to source one down under. Just a view of the engine though doesn't tell me much. The only RHD vehicle around here are old mail trucks, but there again, I need to see the whole truck.
Hey

I'm located in south oz
Someone had already started fiddling with the truck before I got it. They've dropped a 1977 la318 into it but I believe originally it would have had the 225 slant 6.
Its one of the right hand drive oz built trucks.
unsure if the steering box is standard as it looks like the guard has been trimmed a bit.

Cheers

Old 09-05-2023, 09:23 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Okay, I have something to start with now. It looks like Chrysler used the "Power House" trucks in Oz when they went with the "Sweptline" in the U.S. Usually the more complex mechanical parts are updated when older body dies are used. I'll hit my older Hollander books first and see if I can find a listing for RHD as the post office uses a lot of RHD to deliver mail in rural areas. The Australian post may use LHD vehicles for that in Oz.

I'm not going to promise anything, but my buddy in Fremantle got a street rodded truck with a 1 year only steering column and I managed to find him one after he found the steering gear full of water and metal chunks.

Old 09-05-2023, 06:55 PM
farmtruk

Okay, I have something to start with now. It looks like Chrysler used the "Power House" trucks in Oz when they went with the "Sweptline" in the U.S. Usually the more complex mechanical parts are updated when older body dies are used. I'll hit my older Hollander books first and see if I can find a listing for RHD as the post office uses a lot of RHD to deliver mail in rural areas. The Australian post may use LHD vehicles for that in Oz.

I'm not going to promise anything, but my buddy in Fremantle got a street rodded truck with a 1 year only steering column and I managed to find him one after he found the steering gear full of water and metal chunks.

Cheers mate. Really appreciate the assistance

Old 09-05-2023, 07:26 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by farmtruk
Cheers mate. Really appreciate the assistance

Do you know if you have a Ross or Saginaw steering gear assembly? Any numbers cast in the casing? It's possible you can repair it with generic parts. That steering unit might have been used in something else like a GMC or Chevy truck. The body design is pure Chrysler but mechanical components are often source from elsewhere. A lot of 50's Packards had GM transmissions.

The 1967 steering gear in the U.S. is totally different than yours. Traffic in the U.S. is a lot different than in Oz where it's a little more laid back. I looked at stuff from around 1960 and things look more like what you have. Unfortunately, special duty equipment isn't covered in the books I've checked so far. That includes RHD postal equipment.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:22 PM
farmtruk

Do you know if you have a Ross or Saginaw steering gear assembly? Any numbers cast in the casing? It's possible you can repair it with generic parts. That steering unit might have been used in something else like a GMC or Chevy truck. The body design is pure Chrysler but mechanical components are often source from elsewhere. A lot of 50's Packards had GM transmissions.

The 1967 steering gear in the U.S. is totally different than yours. Traffic in the U.S. is a lot different than in Oz where it's a little more laid back. I looked at stuff from around 1960 and things look more like what you have. Unfortunately, special duty equipment isn't covered in the books I've checked so far. That includes RHD postal equipment.
although ross isn't actually stamped anywhere i believe its ross TL steering gear. Looks pretty similar to some stuff used in ****** Jeeps of the same era.
2 numbers cast on the case TL-522995 and TL525000
worm gear stamped TL523081
and the lever gear TL524979

Old 09-05-2023, 10:21 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

I looked on Ebay for a Ross steering box and got quite a few hits. Boy howdy are they proud of them. I found prices ranging from $200 to $2000, all U.S. funds. Ross steering was used on Jeep and Studebaker vehicles. I entered "worm gear stamped TL523081" as a general internet search and got a BUNCH of returns. You might want to give that a try.

Old 09-06-2023, 02:06 AM
farmtruk

I looked on Ebay for a Ross steering box and got quite a few hits. Boy howdy are they proud of them. I found prices ranging from $200 to $2000, all U.S. funds. Ross steering was used on Jeep and Studebaker vehicles. I entered "worm gear stamped TL523081" as a general internet search and got a BUNCH of returns. You might want to give that a try.
Spent a few hours on the internet with no real luck. Closest i got was on a jeep site and the numbers didnt match also there wast no mesurement for me to be able to compare to mine so would be ordering a bit blind.

I did however find another number stamped on the side of the box. Believe its TL53011 UC

Old 09-06-2023, 01:30 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

When I get a little time, I'll get your information together and send it to my buddy down in Fremantle. He fools with a lot of old iron and may know where some trucks are parked for parting out or at least know if a source for what you need.

Quick Reply: 1967 dodge at4 114 steering box