Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

Early 50's Dodge truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2024, 04:24 PM
Richo Richard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early 50's Dodge truck

Good morning all, New to the site.
I have just purchased a early Dodge truck and was having trouble getting an ID from its tags on exact year and details (pic's added for reference)
I have read posts that say the AT stands for Australian Truck. My Berg tag has an AL.
Tags have on them
BERG AL4317
Chrysler limited tag 2 - 33C 251 & GVM 8000 Lb
Last tag I am assuming to be paint and trim code, 5732 - 845
It has a dual rear end and 6 stud 9/16" on a 7.25" PCD
233 badges on the side of the bonnet
A flat head 6 with manual gear box
I have even tried to search pictures to see models that have the same front end features as mine but no luck
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
If any further information is required to help identify the truck please let me know and I will take more pictures or measure any thing to help.
Thank you in advance
Richard.

Old 07-09-2024, 08:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,305 Likes on 3,050 Posts

I am just not finding that grill anywhere. I suspect there may be a piece missing that is throwing me off, but, can't guarantee that... I *think* there is an AT specific site out there on the net somewhere, but, I do not have a link.

Old 07-10-2024, 06:55 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 588 Likes on 533 Posts

Your truck has the "Pilot House" cab. These were sold in the U.S. from 1948 through 1953. Chrysler would often take the tooling during a design change and send it to Oz. The 1960-62 Valiant for instance was sold in Oz into the late 1960's. I would say your truck was built in the mid to late 1950's. You helped by posting pictures, believe me, that helps a LOT.

What all do you need on your truck? I'm assuming you don't have a title to it but a bill of sale. The engine will be a Chrysler flat head 6 and those were used until the early 1960's and later in industrial use. Parts are available, but you'll have to hunt. Chrysler, along with the rest of the industry, was a bit vague on trucks. They were easily modified for use.

Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM
Los_Control
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ol' grouch is pretty much spot on, It is between 51-53 I would say .... The problem with identifying it is those boys down under did their own custom body changes.
Like ute trucks ..... they had rear side panel for cars with fancy fins and such .... Only you Australians had them .... if any here in USA the were imported or hand built.
Same with the grill on your truck, that started in 1951>1953 .... there are some changes in it that you would not get here in the USA.

I have a 49, the grill was same from 48-50 then changed to your style in 51 ...... The tag you want is on The A pillar of drivers door ..... Mine says B1B - 108
That tells me it is a 1949 1/2 ton with 108" wheel base. ..... sadly these tags are often removed over the years.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

When did the single piece windshield start? I thought the 48-53 trucks were all 2 piece. I was going to guess Mid to late 50s Cab also seems a different shape

Last edited by dodgetruck2; Yesterday at 10:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aussie...rts/8181223671

heres a link, not much information, but talks about being a rare 1954 model sold in Australia. Looks very similar to me

The size of tires and dually would make me wonder if its a 1.5 or 2 ton truck

Quick Reply: Early 50's Dodge truck