Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

Rims replacement 7.50/20

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2024, 10:45 PM
Alenorm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims replacement 7.50/20

What are the group recommendations in reference to the old killer wheels
my old truck still got the ring killer that no one will work on it.
finally I found tires however only 4 and missing 2 😩 that’s when I heard the stories about the wheels from many tire shops.
The current setup are 7.50/20 tires and the wheels dual with 5 logs
please can someone educate myself of the best way to deal with this issue and place to obtain what’s recommended?
I live on a farm between San Diego and Los Angeles California. 🙏🏻

Old 09-23-2024, 07:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

What are you working on?

Old 09-23-2024, 07:44 AM
Alenorm

Working on 1940 Dodge truck VF-31 dual wheels

Old 09-23-2024, 08:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Alenorm
Working on 1940 Dodge truck VF-31 dual wheels
Are those two-piece wheels? Are you looking for new ones, or something completely different? (that will fit the truck. )

Old 09-23-2024, 08:32 AM
Alenorm

Yes the rims got outside rings to hold the tires. It’s extremely hard to find anyone that will work on them and the legal responsibility attached by allowing someone to work on them knowingly the danger that may cause.
First any info about a new way to deal with them as I seen them still in use in many parts of the world second If I elected to change them what’s my options?

Old 09-23-2024, 10:49 AM
Los_Control
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Be good to have pictures, but all the old Dodge wheels I have seen are the standard lock ring type that is in use today on modern trucks.

You will need to take them to a truck stop or truck tire shop to be worked on .... average tire shop will not.
Any good tire service man will disassemble them and inspect them for any damage ..... simply refuse to put them back together if there is damage.
They are fine to use though if in good condition.

The widow maker was a true 2 piece wheel where you laid one 1/2 on the ground, installed the tire on it, then installed the other 1/2 at such a angle it would slide over and when straightened out it would lock into a groove ..... there was no way to visually inspect that it was locked in and just hoped and prayed.
That type was outlawed as they did kill many people.

Old 09-23-2024, 10:57 AM
Alenorm

The second one you mentioned the ones on the truck (widow maker) as some local also mentioned “the ki$$&r”

Old 09-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Los_Control
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If that is what you do have, you do need new wheels. This is a little newer Dodge then yours but it has the correct style of wheel to fit your truck ..... although I have no idea what size they are ...... just a example of the lock ring type with the 6 hole bolt pattern and a suggestion that a 40's-50's truck would have the wheels you need. If you can find a farm with a old truck parked on it.

I have a 1949 1/2 ton with tubeless wheels on it and not real familiar with the choices available to you.
https://p15-d24.com/ this site here is real knowledgeable on them and a group of people using these big trucks for work every day .... would be a good place to search or ask for advice.

Old 09-23-2024, 11:30 AM
Alenorm

Thank you for taking the time to assist god bless
I seen photos of my truck that used believe it or not “chain gang” details it has long bed. This truck I believe never been used during the war as it has only one has tank
as far as the the wheels it’s 5 logs 20” and the truck maintained always 7.5/20 tires on it but as mentions big trucks still use them. I’ll see if I contact few close by. Thank you again

Old 09-23-2024, 10:35 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Alenorm
What are the group recommendations in reference to the old killer wheels
my old truck still got the ring killer that no one will work on it.
finally I found tires however only 4 and missing 2 😩 that’s when I heard the stories about the wheels from many tire shops.
The current setup are 7.50/20 tires and the wheels dual with 5 logs
please can someone educate myself of the best way to deal with this issue and place to obtain what’s recommended?
I live on a farm between San Diego and Los Angeles California. 🙏🏻

My interchange books come up to the early 1980's. I'll see what wheels will bolt on as an interchange. The 5 lug on those big wheels are sometimes hard to find but a truckc tire and wheel store might find some for you.

I used to drive with a driver we called "Moon" (but not to his face) that caught a split rim in the head and his face had a crescent moon shape to it. He nearly died. I'm sure safety rims are available but price is another matter. Your best bet is to take one wheel to a truck wheel supply place and see what they can find. The 5 lugs will be the biggest problem. My F-350 uses 20 inch wheels but I think they are 8 lug.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 09-23-2024 at 11:01 PM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn

Quick Reply: Rims replacement 7.50/20