Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

Windshield replacement nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:45 AM
damageincracing
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Windshield replacement nightmare

Thanks man. At the rate this is going I need all the help I can find. I have a guy that's trying to get the parts from a couple of cars he has access to, but haven't heard anything since tuesday. I did find out that since the moron from safelite couldn't put the trim back on right, he just drilled into it with screws he had laying in his truck. Cute, huh? I haven't heard from them since april, they won't return my calls or e-mails, they won't even answer the Better Business Bureau. So now I have a local "don't screw the customer" news team involved and guess what? They won't talk to them either. So the lady at the news station said "it's time to take the next step". I don't know what that is, but I hope it's good! LOL!

Old 06-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Michael_Valentine

New here, but this guy has them NOS, just very expensive. Send him an email for current prices and provide his info to Safelite and this will show them $250 is not even close.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:12 PM
damageincracing
Professional

Well, time for an update. Luckily someone had access to the parts (thanks daytonav691) and now not-so-Safelite is in possession of them. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for them to get ahold of me. Kinda figured they'd want to get me off their backs as soon as possible. If they think their getting off free with me they can guess again. I think they need to reimburse the$184 forthe windshield, plus the $250 they tried to buy me off with, plus a $250 fee for finding someone with the parts (that they gave up on looking for), and if they think they're just going to drop them off at my door and tell me to put them on, they can fork over another $250 for my labor. That comes up to a $934 screw up. Oh- almost forgot- they told the Better Business Bureau they couldn't find anyone to make the parts either. I found 3 companies less than 10 miles from me that will make them, but not for the $250 they were expecting to pay. None of them would even think about it for less than $3500, and that was for the plastic ones, the carbon fiber ones would have been closer to $8000,and that's just for the parts- no labor. Nice, huh?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:59 PM
damageincracing
Professional

Well, Mr. Nathan Holley at safelite has the trim in his possession. Now we get to play the you gotta befricking kidding me game. I was informed safelite WILL NOT install them, I will have to or find someone who will. No problem, I can put 'em on. But he will not send them unless I accept the $100 slap in the face he is offering for them screwing up. Lets see, first they charge me 230 for a botched windshield job. Then refund 50 whole dollars because they "overcharged me" for labor. Offer me $100 for their screw up, then up it to $250 when I blew up. They looked for the parts a whole week, then gave up completely when they found out they couldn't be made for $250. Can't wait for the news crew to call me back so we can really have at those idiots. Going for a full refund of the botched install, the $250 they offered me for screwing up, a $250 finders fee since I did all the searching and found someone with the parts, and since I have to put em on, $250 labor, for a grand total of $934. The attorneys I've called have been getting a pretty good chuckle out of this...

Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 AM
moparkindofgirl
Rookie

That's too funny. He is holding your parts hostage for a settlement. Wow! What an a$$hole.I would sue them and name that jerk personally for his part in blackmail. This is why I don't go to any fly by night operation as I have been bitten in the a$$ before. A simple oil change cost me a tow and the cost to have a new oil plug put in after some so called experienced mechanic stripped it. And then they had the nerve to deny that I ever had work done there!!The beautiful part about my situation is my mechanic would never direct me to some jerk for repairs he cannot perform himself. He knows I would take a big chunk out of his keister if he did. I would seriously take this problem to the local news if you haven't already. If you call the little skunk out, then I bet he would change his tune. No business likes to be publically humiliated. I hope you get everything that you deserve and he gets what's coming to him. People need to learn to appreciate vintage cars. I will NEVER patronize a Safelite.

Cheryl
1990 Daytona

Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 AM
daytonav691

ORIGINAL: damageincracing

Well, time for an update. Luckily someone had access to the parts (thanks daytonav691) and now not-so-Safelite is in possession of them. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for them to get ahold of me. Kinda figured they'd want to get me off their backs as soon as possible. If they think their getting off free with me they can guess again. I think they need to reimburse the$184 forthe windshield, plus the $250 they tried to buy me off with, plus a $250 fee for finding someone with the parts (that they gave up on looking for), and if they think they're just going to drop them off at my door and tell me to put them on, they can fork over another $250 for my labor. That comes up to a $934 screw up. Oh- almost forgot- they told the Better Business Bureau they couldn't find anyone to make the parts either. I found 3 companies less than 10 miles from me that will make them, but not for the $250 they were expecting to pay. None of them would even think about it for less than $3500, and that was for the plastic ones, the carbon fiber ones would have been closer to $8000,and that's just for the parts- no labor. Nice, huh?

WOW, you have GOT to be kidding me.

I should have just mailed them to you myself, wtf are they doing?

Old 07-15-2008, 05:30 PM
damageincracing
Professional

I think it goes something like "WE are the company. YOU came to US. WE screwed up your car. YOU did the work to find the parts, now WE have them. So ifYOU want the parts to fix what WE did, YOU need to take what WE give you".

The news crew is gonna love this... Oh- I filled a complaint at www.ripoffreport.com. I think it's under the username E.K. if anybodies interested. Just do a search for that or safelite...

Oh- if anybody wants to let the idiot at safelite know their opinions on the matter, send me a message through the site here and I'll give you his e-mail.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Turbobearcat
Professional

T-Top Weather Stripping for Daytonas

AS the subject said.. I deliever.. with part numbers!

The parts that we have are the T-top to body seals $200.00 a Pair, part # 7400236 LH and 7400237 RH.
The T-top panels to door window seals $85.00 Pair, 7400230 RH and 7400231 LH.
The Belt moulding are $65.00 each 5400602 RH and 5400603 LH.
The only B pillar moulding we have is for the LH side or drivers side, $65.00 each.

One of the girls will take your order.

M-F 9-5 # 800-637-8264[/align]
He has all the trims as well...

www.mmohio.org is the source of this information.

Mark

Old 07-28-2008, 07:00 PM
damageincracing
Professional

Well, news crew is out and going to court is coming in. Tired of waiting. Talked to the owner of another glass company (who agrees with me) and he asked me to send him the pictures of before and after. Seems he deals with safelites screw ups on a regular basis. Now as long as Nathan Holley at safelite hasn't destroyed or thrown out the parts...

Old 09-15-2008, 01:14 PM
damageincracing
Professional
Default Another update

Well, been out getting estimates to fix the safelite episode. It's gonna need a new windshield, since the windshield needs to come out to put the trim on, and since it is going to shatter when it comes out... Make the connection. That bit of info was confirmed by 6 glass places so far. Lowest estimate for this replacement is around $340, since they have to fix the screw-up. As for repairing the damage to the metalwork around the windshield, no bodyshop can give me an estimate since the trim needs to be removed so they can see the extent of the damage. Somehow I don't think $100 is gonna cover all this. So let's see, since the price for the windshield went up, now its 340 to fix the screw up, 184 reimbursment for the screwed up windshield, 250 for their "offer" from back in april, plus my 250 fee for finding the impossible to find parts, PLUS the unknown work from the bodyshop. My best guess is this is probably gonna cost safelite somewhere around the 2000-2500 mark

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement nightmare