Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

Windshield replacement nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:53 PM
damageincracing
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replacement nightmare

Had the windshield replaced on my 88 Shelby Z with t-tops and the F!@#$*G MORONS BROKE EVERY PIECE OF TRIM AROUND THE WINDSHIELD! INCLUDING the trim behind the mirrors on the doors! The idiot said it was broke before he did the windshield! WRONG! Now the S.O.B.'s are giving me the "Do you know how hard it's going to be to find this?" runaround. Well DUH! Maybe they shouldn't have broke it! Check out the pics...myspace.com/damageincracing Look under Pics for 88 Shelby Z.

Editted for words mispelledby typing while ticked-off...

Old 03-14-2008, 08:44 PM
damageincracing
Professional
Default RE: Windshield replacement nightmare

I don't suppose anybody has these or knows somebody who knows somebody who might be willing to part with 'em? The glass place is paying. As the manager said, "Anything to make this right".

Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 PM
damageincracing
Professional

Seems Safelite Auto Glass finally believes me about how rare these cars are. They can't find the trim pieces- like I told them they wouldn't. Some moron from their corporate offices called me the other day and offered me $100 if I signed a form releasing them from all liability. Needless to say I told them where to shove the form and $100. Seems to me that they ruined the value of the car, and since they can't find replacement parts, they should be finding me a replacement CAR now.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:36 PM
damageincracing
Professional

And of course, how's this for an insult:

Mr. Xxxxx,

You and I had previously spoken about the damage Safelite had caused to the moldings on your 1988 Dodge. I want to apologize to you again for the damages and emphasize to you that we have in fact been trying to resolve the matter.

I am writing to inform you that my supervisor just today ordered what he believes to be the correct moldings for your vehicle. We cannot say with any degree of certainty that these are the correct moldings but we shall find out. As I stated to you before we have tried numerous places to locate these moldings so hopefully they will be the correct ones.

The moldings will be shipped to our Corporate Office in Columbus , Ohio . After their receipt we will ship them to Charlotte so the local Safelite store can make arrangements with you to install these if they are the correct ones. Timeframe for this is about 2 weeks as it takes some time for us to receive them.

If you feel this is unacceptable, our offer of $100 does remain available to you.

Please contact me if you have any questions, otherwise we shall contact you as soon as the moldings are received.

Thanks,

Nathan Holley
Claims Adjuster
Safelite Solutions, LLC
P: 866-212-5457 x 7075
F: 866-844-8605
nathan.holley@safelite.com

Feel free to voice your displeasure to this moron...

Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 PM
damageincracing
Professional

Wow- now the offer is $250 since the trim wasn't right. I guess they think people who own these cars are idiots. Either that or they only think these cars are only worth $250. How many people here think their cars or only worth $250?

Old 04-19-2008, 10:18 AM
MNmopar

That really sucks man, I hope everything works out ok for you.

Let us know what happens.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:43 PM
damageincracing
Professional

Got a call from the idiots last week. Seems now they will be looking into having the pieces custom made. This should be good, being as the first guy threw away all the backing/attachment pieces when he broke them to begin with, and I have all the remaining pieces. What are they using to make new ones?

Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 PM
damageincracing
Professional

The fun and games continue (Safelites response to the BBB):

On or about March 10, 2008, Safelite installed a windshield on Mr. Kelly's 1988 Dodge Daytona. Due to the age (approximately 20 years old) and state of the vehicle the moldings were damaged during that installation. We have searched the entire country to find replacement moldings for the vehicle; however, none have been located. Additionally, we have been unable to identify a company that can custom fabricate new moldings for the vehicle as Mr. Kelly has suggested. Additionally, purchasing a new 1988 Dodge Daytona to replace his is not a reasonable request.
We have offered a cash settlement of $250 which complies with our nationwide warranty that is printed on the back of Mr. Kelly's work order. It states that "if we are unable to replace or repair the warranted product or correct the defective workmanship without charge at a mutually agreed upon time, we will refund the original purchase price of your warranted product"
Our local management team, corporate customer satisfaction team and members of our legal department have all been in contact with Mr. Kelly during this process. We have attempted to resolve this matter expeditiously and professionally despite Mr. Kelly's berating and caustic demeanor.
Unfortunately, this is a commercial dispute on the reasonableness of Mr. Kelly's demands. Safelite acknowledged that it damaged the moldings and has made reasonable attempts to resolve the matter with Mr. Kelly, to no avail.

And my responses:

(The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.)
Mr. Kelly did not get a berating and caustic demeanor until the local managment team, corporate customer satisfaction team, and members of the legal department expected Mr. Kelly to be happy with $250 and a damaged car that is no longer worth what he paid for it. Safelite destroyed a very rare car, which they were told before the windshield was installed. If they could not be sure they could find or have the moldings made, why was Mr. James Van Horn allowed to tell me he would have it done? As stated previously, I had an offer of $8000 for this car WITH a broken windshield because it is so rare and was complete. Now with no windshield trim the car is worth less than $600. That's a differance of $7200. I'm supposed to be happy with $250 and a damaged car. I haven't heard a word from Safelite in a month. I will not resolve this issue for cash. And as for the warranty, I paid for a "Professional Windshield Installation" and got a damaged car. Safelite needs to come up with something a little better than that.

And in addition:

In addition, Safelite is a multi million dollar company. After being treated like my car that's "in excess of 20 years old" is nothing to them, I think I have the right to be more than a little upset. I don't think I have been anywhere near unreasonable in ANY of my requests. I have stated from the start I would rather have the trim than a replacement car. I also don't think it's unreasonable that if they damage a car to the point it can't be repaired, as in this case, then they should replace the car. And I also don't think it's unreasonable that they replace it with one of the same. I may be just the little guy here, and Safelite may be the "Big Bad Corporation", but this is MY car. I paid for it and have spent MY time and money to restore it. Now apparently my time, money and effort mean nothing.

I'm trying to figure out the second line of their response, specifically the part about the age and state of the vehicle. Do they mean the fact that it's 20 years old and that it was all original? I still want to know if they damaged an older or more rare car that was fully restored if they would still insult the owner with $250? I could just picture a fully restored or all original 71 Cuda and they bust some impossible to find part- "Oh, we can only offer you $250. What's that? The car is was worth $250,000? Oh well, here's $250. Sorry."

Old 05-10-2008, 09:50 PM
exline
Rookie

sorry to hear about your car. seems the little guy gets the short end of the stick a lot.

are the molding in your car different because its a T top car? there are some daytonas around here in junk yards may be i could find you something. what color is your trim. what years and models would fit?

Old 05-11-2008, 10:26 PM
damageincracing
Professional

Yeah it's different because of the t-tops. You know how the "normal" Daytonas have the a-pillar thats metal and painted to match the body, well the t-top Daytonas dont have that metal a-pillar. The skin has been removed and the a-post cover is a plastic piece that runs from the hood all the way to the top of the windshield. Then there's a plastic piece that runs along the top of the windshield that also has part of the front t-top seal attached to the back of it (so now my t-tops leak too). As far as I know, the t-top parts are the same for 87-90 Daytona's, and it only comes in one color, black. If you want I can take some pictures of what the boneheads left me and send em to ya- I think I still have your e-mail. I can't seem to get pictures to post on here (or a valid link to them) for some reason.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement nightmare