Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

92 Daytona IROC 3.0 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 04:41 PM
MikeMort
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Daytona IROC 3.0 Engine

My son has a well preserved Daytona, but the engine just seized. Evidently he ran it out of oil. (no obvious leaks, but no oil). Here's my question. We want to put in a new 6G72 but thought now is a good time to upgrade to a more peppy version than the stock 3.0. My mechanic prefers to just put in stock so he doesn't have to wrestle with extra electrical and adaptor challenges. I'm no mechanic, but what do ya'll recommend? Is there significant effort to swap to a DOHC or turbo version of the 6G72?

Old 09-20-2022, 05:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

If it has the non-turbo engine now, going to the turbo engine IS an exercise. Would likely need the PCM and wire harness for the turbo engine as well, I don't know if the trans is different....

Old 09-21-2022, 06:47 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

V8 and rear wheel drive is the way to go. Of course it is a lot of work but well worth it. I don't like torque steer.

Old 09-21-2022, 03:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Yeah, I like that.

The guy laughing as the car pulled away layin' rubber, was just soooo on point. Cracked me up too.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:43 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeMort
My son has a well preserved Daytona, but the engine just seized. Evidently he ran it out of oil. (no obvious leaks, but no oil). Here's my question. We want to put in a new 6G72 but thought now is a good time to upgrade to a more peppy version than the stock 3.0. My mechanic prefers to just put in stock so he doesn't have to wrestle with extra electrical and adaptor challenges. I'm no mechanic, but what do ya'll recommend? Is there significant effort to swap to a DOHC or turbo version of the 6G72?
If you're looking for power, just rebuild the one you already have.
You can do a stock rebuild on the bottom end, but use the 10:1 pistons from a SOHC 12V Diamante/3000GT instead of the stock pistons.
While the heads are off, port/polish them, then install cams from a 12V Diamante/3000GT.
While the intake plenum is off, split it open and port/polish it as well, including removal of the center divider.
Find a 52mm throttle body from a 90s 3.8L and use that in place of the stock 46mm.

I've built quite a few 3.0s over the years and just simple mods wake them up tremendously. A shorty intake, 52mm tb, ported plenum, and full 3" exhaust net my last one over 30hp on the dyno.

This monster:

Was well over 200hp NA.

Another point of question is: Does the car have a manual or an auto?
The manual is substantially quicker than the auto stock for stock.

This was the mild 3.0 in my old Acclaim. Shorty intake, 52mm TB with spacer, ported intake plenum with plenum spacers, and a full 2.5" exhaust system. Stock 4-speed auto:

Quick Reply: 92 Daytona IROC 3.0 Engine