Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

88 Daytona Possible Vapor Lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:19 PM
tc334
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Daytona Possible Vapor Lock

Does anyone know anything about a possible vapor lock problem. I have just pourchased a 88 dodge daytona it seems to be just the regular stock model I suppose It isn't anything fancy. It is an automatic and I'm really mad at the guy I bought it from because it starts just fine and you can actually drive it to a couple of places before the problem begins. As soon as the car get warmed up to where th temperature gauge is inbetween hot and cold the car will no longer start. It acts if its getting no fuel. I learned this the hardway out in the middle of nowhere. I was told to check under the car for the fuel line to make sure it isnt next to the muffler or something that will heat it. well I did that and found that the whole underneath of the car is covered with metal sheets. You can't see anything is this normal for this model car. Does this sound like vapor lock? Any help that I can get on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Old 09-19-2006, 08:22 PM
89Daytona
Veteran
Default RE: 88 Daytona Possible Vapor Lock

Run the ECU codes http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html I doubt its vapor lock.

When it doesn't start do you hear the fuel pump running, is it getting spark, and is the engine cranking?

By the entire underside being covered with sheetmetal, do you mean that the underside of the car is all flat sheet metal with absolutely no fuel or brake lines or the exhaust system exposed? That is not normal for any stock Dodge, it might only be stock on extreme high end performance cars. If you could gets pics could you post them.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:00 AM
photojeff

I have a 88 Shelby Daytona that is vapor locking when turned off or just sitting. I have to wait 45 min. or pour water on the fuel rail to get it to start. When it is moving it runs fine. I have put new injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter and checked all connections, and still the same problem.
Any help PLEASE!!!!!!!

Old 12-08-2006, 08:44 AM
photojeff

ANYONE ?

Old 12-09-2006, 02:39 AM
89Daytona
Veteran

Did you run/check the ecu codes?

Old 12-09-2006, 04:07 AM
photojeff

yup not giving me any codes
I also have put in a new o2 sensor

89Daytona thanks for the reply

Old 12-09-2006, 09:03 AM
vicco27
Amateur

This is going to sound craze but it really does work. Get a hand full of WOODEN YES WOODEN clothes pins and put them on the metal fuel line every where you can ahead of the fuel rail, 6 to 8 cloths pins should do it. I gaurantee if you have a vapor locking problem this will make it stop. Big problem more WOODEN cloths pins.

Vic vicco27......Keep Rollin!

Old 11-29-2009, 11:07 PM
thundermbo
Default got your fix

there is a black round coil thingy that plugs in,and is located under the distributor cap
i replaced mine and the fuel probem stopped.
it happened again 1 month later. replaced the in gas tank fuel pump.
the problem stopped. it happened again 1 month later,replaced the computer located behind the drivers headlight under the hood,(which is connected to the air filter by a big black hose.
problem solved.
the computer was overheating and would stop telling the fuel pump to send fuel. any comp from a 84-89 dodge 4 cyl car will work,as long as the connectors are the same. new computer costs $130.00 but the one i got at the salvage yard from a turbo daytona cost $35.00 and runs great.
car feels more beefy too!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:34 AM
circumventor
Banned

its pritty much imposible for vapor lock to hapen on efi moters

Quick Reply: 88 Daytona Possible Vapor Lock