Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Wireless router and Vista

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wireless router and Vista

It's like they are the Jack of all trades, master of none. How about they just leave things alone for awhile and fix the current issues. I understand there will be no "service pack" for Vista.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:01 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Sir Hardin Thicke

It's like they are the Jack of all trades, master of none. How about they just leave things alone for awhile and fix the current issues. I understand there will be no "service pack" for Vista.
Hell we are still waiting for SP3 for XP. already 3 yrs without one after SP2. Lots of IT guys I know arent gonna switch their companies computers over to Vista until SP1 (as they said).

But heard the next one after Vista will be nothing more than Linux with an Microsoft look.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:53 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

windows 95 was the last one I realy liked

Old 07-22-2007, 04:16 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

I have no complaints at all for Windows XP Pro SP2...my second favorite Microsoft OS is 2000 Pro. Considering this news of a new OS will be out in three years, looks like I'll just keep using XP Pro on all the machines that I use and build...perhaps Vista will just be remembered in history as another Windows ME?

Old 07-22-2007, 08:10 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT.perhaps Vista will just be remembered in history as another Windows ME?
Thats what I'm thinking now also. 2000 and XP (XP is better though) are the best ones that M$ has come out with. Never had any major software issues with XP (home or pro. I have both) other than a few hardware issues and a couple PEBKAC screwups. Possible that the one after Vista may be the one that ends up being very stable, very reliable, doesnt hog memory like Vista,can run perfectly fine on old 400mhz pc's as well as the new 64 bit quad cores coming outand finally comes out at under $100 (M$ offering a OS for under $100/ Yeh I know its a pipe dream, but ya never know).

Old 07-22-2007, 10:10 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: RP Racing940

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT.perhaps Vista will just be remembered in history as another Windows ME?
Thats what I'm thinking now also. 2000 and XP (XP is better though) are the best ones that M$ has come out with. Never had any major software issues with XP (home or pro. I have both) other than a few hardware issues and a couple PEBKAC screwups. Possible that the one after Vista may be the one that ends up being very stable, very reliable, doesnt hog memory like Vista,can run perfectly fine on old 400mhz pc's as well as the new 64 bit quad cores coming outand finally comes out at under $100 (M$ offering a OS for under $100/ Yeh I know its a pipe dream, but ya never know).
Totally agree. MS needs to price their OS like Mac does, you can buy a FIVE user retial OSX Tiger for like $180, or a single use for around $100...you cant even buy a retail XP Pro disc for that price.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:12 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

Totally agree. MS needs to price their OS like Mac does, you can buy a FIVE user retial OSX Tiger for like $180, or a single use for around $100...you cant even buy a retail XP Pro disc for that price.
Something you forget however is that Microsoft has to account for a much larger hardware base not to mention has to be usable with a ton more software. Apple doesnt. However, I would agree with you that Microsoft has gotten greedy as of late.

I personally think Vista is actually a damn good OS, but the problem is two-fold. One, the software really is a step forward over everything we've used as of now. The OS is a true 32bit software, which even XP wasnt.....although it was supposed to be. All the issues and incompatiabilities are centered to some degree on that alone. Two, the fact is that the security is a tad bit overdone on it and that it is realistically a bit much for about 75% of the hardware on the market.

At the end of the day, I think Vista can be just like Windows XP, but only if Microsoft hurries up and fixes the issues with a good Service Pack. I sincerely doubt however that Microsoft throws another OS on the market within 3 years, unless they take Vista and modify it into something better.

Also, remember this.......both Windows 2000 and Windows XP had tons of issues until the first Service Pack debuted. In fact, the roll out for Windows XP was similar to the current one with Vista. The only real big difference is that the cost of a computer has dropped so ridiculously since 2001, that everyone and their mother has one. If you even look back as far 2003, the average home PC owner was half of what it is today.

I'm not saying Vista is perfect or that any of you are wrong, I simply think its too early to pass judgement, especially when you consider the actual real advantages/differences of Vista compared to anything on the market. Also, Mac users went thru a very similar issue when Apple transitioned from Mac OSX 10.4 to a newer version. It made virtually all the software for versions 10.3 and older versions completely obsolete.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

Alright, this router is NOT playing well with Vista. Then I disable the router and my modem acts up. I'm scrapping the separate modem and router and getting a Surfboard.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:04 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Acer: PC Industry 'Disappointed' with Vista Matthew Broersma, TechworldMon Jul 23, 5:00 PM ET[/i] [/align] Acer president Gianfranco Lanci today became the first major PC manufacturer to openly attackMicrosoft over the Windows Vista operating system. He was quoted in the Financial Times Deutschland. Lanci said the operating system was riddled with problems and gave users and businesses no reason to buy a new PC, according to the report. Taiwan-based Acer is the world's fourth-largest PC manufacturer, after HP, Dell and Lenovo. "The whole industry is disappointed with Windows Vista," Lanci said. Despite the long wait between Windows XP and Vista, the latest operating system still lacks maturity, he said. "Stability is certainly a problem," he said. Users are voting with their feet, Lanci said, so that the Vista launch has had the smallest impact on PC sales of any version of Windows in the history of PC manufacturing. He added the situation didn't look likely to change in the next six months. Many business customers have specifically asked for Windows XP to be installed on their new machines, Lanci noted. While industry pundits have detailed user problems with Vista over the past few months, including sluggishness, the expense of acquiring hardware powerful enough to run the OS and lack of support for many critical applications, PC makers have so far looked on the brighter side. HP, Dell, Lenovo and Toshiba have continued offering XP-equipped machines, but these are generally aimed at consumers or small businesses, not large corporate clients. Microsoft itself says Vista has been a smashing successs, saying it had already sold 20 million Vista licences by March. Last week the company said its quarterly income was up 13 percent from the same quarter last year, growth it said was partly due to strong Vista sales. The company has said most Vista users are satisfied and that nearly all software and hardware is compatible. On the other hand, the company recently told analysts it expects Windows XP to make up a significantly larger part of sales than it had previously expected, at Vista's expense. Chief financial officer Chris Liddell has told analysts that he expects XP to make up 22 percent of sales in Microsoft's new fiscal year, up from the previous estimate of 15 percent. Vista would make up the remaining 78 percent of Windows sales. Windows XP sales will, in other words, be nearly 50 percent higher in the next 12 months than Microsoft had estimated earlier. Michael Cherry, analyst with Directions at Microsoft, said part of the problem is that users prefer lower-cost machines that might not work well with Vista. "Most of the machines I see pitched in catalogs are in the $700 range, certainly under $1,000," said Cherry. "Computers with that amount of hardware are a better fit for XP. With Vista's requirements, people may be thinking about sticking with XP, and putting less money into the hardware." It's possible, Cherry added, that Microsoft might find itself forced to recognise more reality in the future. "At some point, they might have to consider limiting the availability of XP," to push people to Vista. The software developer has made at least one move in that direction already. In mid-April, it announced it would terminate sales of Windows XP to resellers and retail after January 2008. User reactions were almost unanimously negative. Gregg Keizer of Computerworld contributed to this report. [/align][/align]

Old 07-24-2007, 09:08 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ACER???? ARE YOU F___ING KIDDING ME?????

The company who puts out for the most part 2nd rate equipment that generally has less then a 1 year life span? I'll bet you money Acer is pissed, because most of their crappy hardware cant be used or ran in Vista....

Quick Reply: Wireless router and Vista