Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

lenovo R500 died

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:33 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default lenovo R500 died

Ok so my pos lenovo quit working and I dont know why exactly. My gf was getting ready doing her hair what not in the bathroom and she was using my computer to listen to music and like normal me I wait till the last min to get ready so after she got done she left the computer in there and I got in the shower totally forgot about 2-3min later I remember about it and closed it and put it in the cabinet under the sink thinking ok hot air and moisture rises so it will be fine near the floor. When I got out took the computer with me and plugged it in cause I thought it was dead but the light on the computer to show its charging wont light up and it wont even turn on. Its been about a week now and still wont turn on no matter what is this thing finally fried or what? I never realized how much I actually use it until I dont have it.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Corks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would assume that it has died. There still could have been enough moisture in it even though you closed it and put it out of the way but if it didn't shut dowm it still could have caused a short.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:58 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Any moisture = bad for PCs. I used to have friends back in the dorms at college that would take their laptops, and put them on the sink while they showered so they could have some tunes. Bad, bad, bad. A laptop should go no where near your bathroom.

Let it completely dry out, in an open space, maybe even with a little air movement (fan). Leave it for 8 hours or so. If it still doesn't turn on, there is most likely motherboard damage, caused by the moisture. I've seen it many times before.

If it is "dead", your data on the hard drive may still be intact, but you'll need to make it an external drive (remove it and place it in an enclosure) to access it.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:23 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Ok I just think with how long its been sitting it would of dried out by now thing id Ive had my hp laptop in the bathroom many times and still it never once showed signs of stopping but oh well I dont really have anything important on that computer that isnt on my desktop computer. I have 3 year warranty on this computer will they cover this?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:14 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Ok I just think with how long its been sitting it would of dried out by now thing id Ive had my hp laptop in the bathroom many times and still it never once showed signs of stopping
Thats what they all say until suddenly, one day with a three month old machine, it quits. They're all made to tolerate a certain degree of moisture, but all it takes is the moisture crossing the wrong part of the wrong board in a sufficient quantity, and it will fry.

Its your machine, and your money. If you want to endanger your hundreds of dollars worth of a computer, that's your call.

I dont really have anything important on that computer that isnt on my desktop computer. I have 3 year warranty on this computer will they cover this?
Who is the warranty through? Depends. Best Buy offers an accidental damage plan, so does HP, Dell, and most other PC companies. However, they also usually offer a cheaper extended manufacturer warranty type plan. Depends on what plan you bought.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:40 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by jasonw
Thats what they all say until suddenly, one day with a three month old machine, it quits. They're all made to tolerate a certain degree of moisture, but all it takes is the moisture crossing the wrong part of the wrong board in a sufficient quantity, and it will fry.

Its your machine, and your money. If you want to endanger your hundreds of dollars worth of a computer, that's your call.

Who is the warranty through? Depends. Best Buy offers an accidental damage plan, so does HP, Dell, and most other PC companies. However, they also usually offer a cheaper extended manufacturer warranty type plan. Depends on what plan you bought.

The warranty is threw lenovo

Old 06-28-2010, 01:45 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Look at your receipt, or contact Lenovo. They may cover it just fine.

If there's water/moisture damage, they will figure it out, but if there isn't anything obvious, they'll fix it as a MFG defect, whether it was or not. The moment you tell them it was in the bathroom, they may start getting suspicious and looking for reasons to void your plan.

Don't mention what you were doing with it... just tell them as little as possible. Tell them it doesn't work anymore, that it won't even turn on, and you'd like it fixed. Don't give them a story, and don't give details unless they ask for a specific detail. If they ask for a specific detail, give them that, but not any others.

Tech guys like it, actually, when you answer their questions quickly and straight up, rather than going into a whole story. When you deal with dozens of customers/clients a day, you don't want stories. You want facts, that way you can get the client what they need how they need it and move onto the next. Stories usually do nothing but delay you from getting to the next guy in line.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:22 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by jasonw
Look at your receipt, or contact Lenovo. They may cover it just fine.

If there's water/moisture damage, they will figure it out, but if there isn't anything obvious, they'll fix it as a MFG defect, whether it was or not. The moment you tell them it was in the bathroom, they may start getting suspicious and looking for reasons to void your plan.

Don't mention what you were doing with it... just tell them as little as possible. Tell them it doesn't work anymore, that it won't even turn on, and you'd like it fixed. Don't give them a story, and don't give details unless they ask for a specific detail. If they ask for a specific detail, give them that, but not any others.

Tech guys like it, actually, when you answer their questions quickly and straight up, rather than going into a whole story. When you deal with dozens of customers/clients a day, you don't want stories. You want facts, that way you can get the client what they need how they need it and move onto the next. Stories usually do nothing but delay you from getting to the next guy in line.
Alight well I guess ill contact them today, Thanks

Old 06-28-2010, 05:49 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Alight well I guess ill contact them today, Thanks
No problem. Let us know how it turns out! Good luck!

Old 06-29-2010, 03:09 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Ok well before I called lenovo I took it out to the garage and started to take it apart got the battery out along with the hard drive then I remember when my previous phone got wet it was the battery shorting it out and taking the batt out and just leaving the phone plugged into the wall would revive it so I put the hard drive back in but let the batt out and plugged it in and sure enough it came to life so I thought ok its the battery but right now its running off the batt so it must of been something I did all I took out was hard drive and batt oh well as long as it works thats all I care lol

Quick Reply: lenovo R500 died