Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Weird DVD Audio problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:40 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird DVD Audio problem.

So I resently bought some James Bonds films and when I put the DVDs in my desktop computer, it plays and all but you can't hear the voices. You can hear the music all you want and see the lips move, but no voices. If I switch to French or English (with commentary) I can hear the movie (of course though with the added people speaking in the background). I've concluded its not the DVD's because when I put them in my laptop everything works perfectly fine. Voices and everything. And its only with my James Bond films. All my other DVDs work fine in my desktop. What could be the issue with my Bond films?

Old 07-24-2011, 01:37 PM
zencyl
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the audio tracks didn't burn right. Did you buy it from a store or off of somebody?

Old 07-24-2011, 03:30 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

I got them from Half Price Books. If they didn't burn right though, then how come they would work on other DVD players fine?

Old 07-24-2011, 04:16 PM
zencyl
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm good point. My only guess here would be maybe your missing the codec for that voice track but that should be the same for all voices.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:22 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

What program are you using to play the DVDs on both machines?
What version of Windows (or Mac OS) are you using on the machines?

One quick thing it might be is if the Windows Media Player or whatever player you are using tries to to do 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound with those movies, and all you have is 2.0 or 2.1 speakers. The voices will attempt to come over the non-existent center speaker. Some movies have their own settings menu, and for some reason it may be thinking your desktop is setup for one of those surround sound units when its not. Try looking at the player's audio settings, and the DVD's audio settings if it has them, make sure its set up correctly.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

I'm using Windows Media Player... 12? On both machines I'm using Windows 7 Pro (32 bit)... I went ahead and looked at the settings and they are fine, they are set to use Creative's audio setting (I have 2.1 speakers)... and I realized that everything that is supposed to be soft and quieter is actually the loudest part and the quietest parts are the loudest. I went to a random scene in one of the movies and the people in the FAR background were the loudest.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:12 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I still think your sound software is trying to do surround sound for some reason. That would explain why the background is loudest, as the side speakers in a surround sound setup are supposed to do those noises.

Have you tried updating your sound drivers to the latest version?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion

Yeah they were upgraded about a month ago after I upgraded to Windows7 from XP.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

That is not your sound drivers.

Whoever makes your audio card (maybe your motherboard manufacturer, for example) may have some updated sound drivers you need. When you updated to Windows 7, did you do any driver updating?

Quick Reply: Weird DVD Audio problem.