Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Second opinion on comp problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:09 PM
jimboscomp
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second opinion on comp problem

Hey Guys, I would like a second opinion on my diagnosis on a computer problem.

Problem: computer shuts down everytime it tries to access the hard drive, and while there is no hard drive it will shut down after about 15 seconds of being on. After the computer auto shuts down, you can't turn it back on, until you power cycle the power supply then try again, and then it just repeats itself. I checked the hard drive, it is ok, able to access all the files via external enclosure. And the it's not the power supply because I tried a brand new power supply and it had the same symptoms.

I think it's the motherboard, seeing as you can't turn it on (prior to power cycling) once it shuts itself down. But I was just asking if someone had a second opinion on the problem. It won't boot to Windows at all, it will go to the selection screen stating windows wasn't shut down correctly, and if you want to boot to safemode. Once you select something or let it sit there for a moment it will shut down.

Thanks Guys!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:43 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Second opinion on comp problem

take off the cover and see if the heatsink fan (over the CPU) is turning on. when i first installed my new heatsink, the fan wouldn't turn on and it would just turn on for like 15 seconds and then shut down. You could also try to re-set the motherboard by taking out the small battery that is somewhere on it.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:11 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

Yeah I tested the CPU fan, it turns on with the system, and I stuck a temperature probe in the CPU area and it was only getting to about 105 degrees F. I as well took out the battery on the motherboard to see if it would make a difference, and still has the same issues. I'm thinking about just going and replacing the motherboard and seeing if that helps.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:40 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Have you tried changing memory? A bad stick of memory could do that.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:13 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I've had a similar issue, and it turned out to be my CPU.....which totally blowed because it was brand new. Something I would suggest doing is taking it along with you to the store and have them test it. I've seen a CPU go kaput and the motherboard be just fine. I've also seen it go the other way too.

Based on what you've told us, it's definitely a mobo/CPU issue. Generally when a Power Supply goes, it either wont work at all....or it will only power on a fan and nothing else.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:46 PM
jimboscomp
All Star

lol i like taking it to the store and testing it...but they would charge me like $75 to do that..no joke maybe i'll just buy a mobo and try it. if that doesnt work on to cpu.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:01 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

I ordered a new cpu and motherboard today...whichever one fixes the problem is a keeper, the other one will be returned. Works out because some jerk ordered a computer and then never contacted me again about it...so I have to send stuff back anyways...oh well

Old 03-15-2007, 02:08 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what mobo/processor did u buy? and why not just keep both? new system

Old 03-15-2007, 04:29 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

lol my client didn't want to spend a whole lot of money. I bought a Biostar, because NEW socket 478 motherboards are hard to come by and it had the highest rating that the best price. I also purchased a 2.26 Celeron D (my client has a 2.53ghz Celeron D in the computer right now), but didn't keep it, not worth keeping it in stock.

I got the parts today and sure enough, the problem was the motherboard, took out the old one, put in the new one with the original processor and everything booted right up. lol I'm getting a bunch of parts in thenext few days, anyone want a new Core 2 Duo system???

Old 03-15-2007, 11:42 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: jimboscomp

lol my client didn't want to spend a whole lot of money. I bought a Biostar, because NEW socket 478 motherboards are hard to come by and it had the highest rating that the best price. I also purchased a 2.26 Celeron D (my client has a 2.53ghz Celeron D in the computer right now), but didn't keep it, not worth keeping it in stock.

I got the parts today and sure enough, the problem was the motherboard, took out the old one, put in the new one with the original processor and everything booted right up. lol I'm getting a bunch of parts in thenext few days, anyone want a new Core 2 Duo system???
I've got a socket 478 Pentium 4 2.8ghz chip that needs a new mobo. I'm just lazy in doing anything with it. It's about a year old, but the old motherboard had components on it that stopped working.

I have a nice E6400 2.13ghz Core 2 Duo system, 4gb ram, and a 256mb video card......but if you are going to give it away

I'm glad you were able to determine the issue fairly easily. With your situation, it's often hard to tell either way if its a cpu/mobo simply because you cant just pull em and pop them into another PC. Have fun building those PC's!!! That's my objective this summer is to put some computers together with all the spare new parts I have.

Quick Reply: Second opinion on comp problem