Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2010 Journey R/T Stalls on Right Turns - Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 02:44 PM
WhiskeyBravo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Journey R/T Stalls on Right Turns - Any Ideas?

We bought a 2010 Journey a few months ago. About once a week the engine will completely cut out, but only while making a right hand turn. It had happened to my wife many times. I figured it was something she was doing like bumping the key with her knee or something. But then it happened to me.

I had driven about 20 minutes to a store, spent about 10 minutes in the store, drove about 200 yards in the parking lot, made a right hand turn into traffic and then POOF - DEAD. All the power was still on inside the car; the dash lights, radio etc. I threw it in park and just started it again with no trouble. The check engine light did not come on.

I tried reproducing it a little while later by driving in clockwise circles in an open parking lot. I couldn't make it happen again.

We have an appointment with dealer next week, but I'm afraid it's not going to happen for them.

Has anyone heard about this happening? Any guesses as to why?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ain't heard of that one, and you are probably right, you'll get a "can't reproduce the problem" from the dealer...

Old 10-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Brazeau
Default 2010 Journey SE/

Hi
We bought our Journey in July and it has cut out completely approximately eight times. While we were driving straight, turning left, going through intersections. It will start righ back up once it is in park and u turn the key to start. We took it to the dealership four times and they can not find the problem. They continued to give it back to us but this last time I told them I will not take it back until it is fixed properly. It is still in the shop and I contacted Chrysler Canada to inform them of the situation. They have contacted me once and I am awaiting another call, as I write this. I informed the dealership that I will not be driving this vehicle as it is unsafe and will not allow my child to drive in it. So the only thing I can suggest is to call Chrysler Canada directly and inform them what is going on. 1-800-465-2001. Good luck

Completely Unsatisfied

Old 10-18-2010, 08:29 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Luckily, my mom ain't had the problem in hers (yet anyway). I do know that they had the same problem in some of the '03 & '04 trucks and after a couple years of Chrysler denying it was a problem and the automatic "ain't never seen that before" answers from the dealership, they came out with a PCM flash that fixed the issue.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 PM
kccjessen28

I just brought my 2010 Journey in today as twice now, it has stalled after going over railroad tracks. Luckily I've been in an area that I've been able to pull over easily and restart the engine, but I worry about it happening when I'm going much faster than 40 mph. I was told that I needed computer updates (which they did) but after trying twice they were unable to re-create the stalling situation.

I love my car and I'm good friends with the guy who sold it to me, but if this happens again, I'm done with that car and will be finding something else that is more reliable.

As a side note, they told me today that one had nothing to do with the other, but the sound in the speakers sometimes goes in and out and can be quite muffled. Of course, they were unable to re-create it.

Brazeau - were you able to get anywhere with Chrysler?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Here is some information i found.This may help.
Search Result

Vehicle Issue Mil on, multiple fault codes may be set, long crank time, stall or die out.;The customer may have a complaint of hard starting or long crank time. There may also be a complaint of the mil lamp coming on along with a number of different diagnostic trouble codes setting in the pcm. The most common DTCs are cam sensor, crank sensor, throttle position sensor related but there may be others. There may also be a rare complaint of engine die out or stalling.
System or Component Malfunction Indicator Light / MIL / Check Engine Light
Recommendation Check for moisture in the coolant temperature sensor connector. If found, go to the pcm and disconnect the C2 connector. Check closely for moisture in the pcm C2 connector. If found, replace the coolant temperature sensor and the engine wiring harness. Clean the pcm C2 cavity and make sure it is clean and dry.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Lnelson
Default Journey Stalling Issue

We bought our Journey in February and it started to stall or die while driving at @ 3,000 miles. It was random, while driving down the street. I took it in and of course it could not be replicated. I asked the dealership to keep it for two weeks and drive it because I did not feel safe driving my children around. I was told that they ran diagnostics, etc and nothing was found. I took the car back and it was fine for about a month. This week it has started happening again. I am now at @ 6,000 miles. I get no warning lights before or after. I just have to throw the car into park and start it up and hope I don't get into an accident. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed before something bad happens. Has anyone received any concrete information as to what the issue is?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Get the car into the dealer. And if they give a hard time,then ask for the phone number to the factory rep.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:56 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Did Dodge installed on the new vehicles that gas shut off system incase of a crash? That's the only thing that comes to mind. Maybe they installed that system and it's havving problems with the program or something. Don't know, just shooting in the dark!!!!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 PM
WhiskeyBravo

This is still and open issue with us. It hasn't happend lately. What's changed? only the cold weather. Unfortunately, we bought this Journey rather than lease which we usually do. Looks like I bought a $26K headache.

If any highly trained Mopar techs want to take a crack at the thing and you're within reasonable driving distance of NYC, I'll be more than happy to bring it by your dealership. Just say the word.

Email me: john (AT) pcsrcs.com.

Quick Reply: 2010 Journey R/T Stalls on Right Turns - Any Ideas?