Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

09 Dodge Journey O2 sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Tokoloshe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Dodge Journey O2 sensor problem

Hey All,

My 2009 Dodge Journey SXT check engine light came on a the following codes came up when checked.

P2273 O2 sensor signal stuck rich bank 2 sensor 2.
P2099 Post Catalytic Tran system

I have changed some O2 sensors before but when I climbed under the journey I was a little confused as there is only one exhaust(i was expecting 2 based on bank 2) and the catalytic converter seems to be very far forward.

I rented up the O2 sensor removal/installation tool from advance.

1. Can you please confirm that the O2 sensor shown is the correct one base on codes above.
2. Any suggestions about how to manipulate the O2 sensor loose within the tight confines of the engine would be greatly appreciated!
3. Any theories or concern that it will not end up being the O2 sensor?

Thanks in advance.

T.

Attached Thumbnails 09 Dodge Journey O2 sensor problem-photo-1.jpg   09 Dodge Journey O2 sensor problem-djo2-sensor2.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:37 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Welcome to DF! Not really much I can offer about removal in tight confines. They dont make it easy. I would soak the sensor with pb blaster for a bit to help the removal. What engine do you have?

Before replacing the Heated Oxygen Sensor, inspect the sensor connector for signs of damage, water ingress, or corrosion

P2099 Chrysler Description
The conditions that caused this diagnostic to fail is when the upstream O2 Sensor biased from an exhaust leak, O2 sensor contamination, or some other extreme operating condition. The downstream O2 sensor is considered to be protected from extreme environments by the catalyst. The Powertrain Control Module monitors the downstream O2 sensor feedback control, called downstream fuel trim, to detect any shift in the upstream O2 sensor target voltage from nominal target voltage. The value of the downstream fuel trim is compared with the lean thresholds. Every time the value exceeds the calibrated threshold, a fail timer is incremented and mass flow through the exhaust is accumulated. If the fail timer and accumulated mas flow exceed the fail thresholds, the test fails and the diagnostic stops running for that trip. If the test fail on consecutive trips, the code will set.

So it looks like the rear sensor code is because the front sensor is fubar. Replace the front sensor.

Last edited by jkeaton; 02-03-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Tokoloshe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Dodge Journey O2 Sensor Problem

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Welcome to DF! Not really much I can offer about removal in tight confines. They dont make it easy. I would soak the sensor with pb blaster for a bit to help the removal. What engine do you have?

Before replacing the Heated Oxygen Sensor, inspect the sensor connector for signs of damage, water ingress, or corrosion

P2099 Chrysler Description
The conditions that caused this diagnostic to fail is when the upstream O2 Sensor biased from an exhaust leak, O2 sensor contamination, or some other extreme operating condition. The downstream O2 sensor is considered to be protected from extreme environments by the catalyst. The Powertrain Control Module monitors the downstream O2 sensor feedback control, called downstream fuel trim, to detect any shift in the upstream O2 sensor target voltage from nominal target voltage. The value of the downstream fuel trim is compared with the lean thresholds. Every time the value exceeds the calibrated threshold, a fail timer is incremented and mass flow through the exhaust is accumulated. If the fail timer and accumulated mas flow exceed the fail thresholds, the test fails and the diagnostic stops running for that trip. If the test fail on consecutive trips, the code will set.

So it looks like the rear sensor code is because the front sensor is fubar. Replace the front sensor.
To answer your question, it is an SXT.

I really appreciate the explanation, but dont understand why the code would then read bank 2 sensor 2...esp when there is no second exhaust/catalytic converter...so why is it front O2 sensor and not the rear as the code indicates? (esp since I already bought the rear replacement ;D )

Thanks for the tips, any suggestions for what type of socket wrench, breaker bar etc. to use in order to make it happen?

Thanks!

T

Last edited by Tokoloshe; 02-03-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Tokoloshe
To answer your question, it is an SXT.

I really appreciate the explanation, but dont understand why the code would then read bank 2 sensor 2...esp when there is no second exhaust/catalytic converter...so why is it front O2 sensor and not the rear as the code indicates? (esp since I already bought the rear replacement ;D )

Thanks for the tips, any suggestions for what type of socket wrench, breaker bar etc. to use in order to make it happen?

Thanks!

T
Still have not said what engine you have......use a socket designed for O2 sensors. You can buy them or probably rent one. Like I said, spray it with PB blaster. Sometimes on older cars require heat, but an 09 should not be that bad.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:57 PM
Billy Bee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see this is an old thread but found it and figured answering the question may help someone.

09 journey 3.5l has two o2 sensors on the left side of engine or nearest the bumper, and 2 on the right side of engine or firewall side. Front of engine is on the passenger side. Since cylinder 1 is the front left most cylinder or passenger firewall corner, that manifold is bank 1. Bumper side manifold bank 2. Sensor one for either side is the highest up sensor. So lower sensor is sensor 2. In the images shown, that's bank 1. Sensor 2 you can see is on the cat. Where as sensor 1 is just before it.

If the connectors are correct in this picture, sensor 1 connects the front side of the engine harness and sensor 2 to the trans side or rear of the engine.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (06-12-2020)

Quick Reply: 09 Dodge Journey O2 sensor problem