Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Journey Horn blows on it's own

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:38 PM
ashley72
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Journey Horn blows on it's own

I have seen on YouTube several posts that people w/Dodge Journey where the horn blows on it's own @ random. I have contacted customer service through Dodge and to their surprise they didn't know this was an issue. Has anyone else had this issue, if so got it fixed, cost, etc.??? I'm unsure as to why this would not be under factory recall because these are 2010 Journey

When I purchased my in June, used, the horn didn't work so I took it back to dealership and they fixed it. Not even down the road it starts blowing on it's own. I then realized that it probably did this and other person disconnected it. Due to safety reasons you need a horn not to mention when I went to have it inspected the horn is required to work in order to pass inspection. What is Dodge going to do for customers who have took their hard earned $$ and purchased their vehicle? I want mine FIXED @ NO COST TO ME! I think that is something Dodge should do. Certainly don't have this issue with my 2013 Dodge Dart.

The following users liked this post:
comsax1 (06-04-2023)
Old 08-09-2017, 07:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Check the clock spring. Known issue regardless of what the dealer says.

Pigguy (09-05-2021)
Old 08-09-2017, 07:54 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ashley72
I have contacted customer service through Dodge and to their surprise they didn't know this was an issue.

Customer service doesn't know anything about anything anyway...lol

Old 08-09-2017, 07:57 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

When I purchased my in June, used, the horn didn't work so I took it back to dealership and they fixed it. Not even down the road it starts blowing on it's own. I then realized that it probably did this and other person disconnected it. Due to safety reasons you need a horn not to mention when I went to have it inspected the horn is required to work in order to pass inspection. What is Dodge going to do for customers who have took their hard earned $$ and purchased their vehicle? I want mine FIXED @ NO COST TO ME! I think that is something Dodge should do.

Dodge probably won't do anything. The dealer screwed you, not them. If someone had it disconnected, I can almost promise you it wasn't because they thought it was the clockspring. They probably thought OR KNEW it was the TIPM.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:23 PM
ashley72

What is the TIPM? Can it be fixed or am I stuck? The one video on YouTube shows the guy fixing it, talking about the nipples being sensitive.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:24 PM
ashley72

Thanks

Old 08-09-2017, 09:54 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

What is the TIPM? Can it be fixed or am I stuck? The one video on YouTube shows the guy fixing it, talking about the nipples being sensitive.
The TIPM is that black box under the hood with the fuses in it. It is actually a computer as well. Serves as a Body Computer AND power module to the entire vehicle.

Of course it can be fixed. It's just a matter of someone competent enough to know what to monitor on the scan tool or the test light and find the actual issue. The horn relay is ON the circuit board of the TIPM. Depending on the frequency of the horn "ghosting", you might end up throwing parts at it if you want it resolved on your own. 3 main parts for the horn are...Horn Switch, Clockspring and TIPM. HOWEVER, the Horn Switch signal goes through the CLUSTER before it's bussed out to TIPM to give the command to blow. Starting to see what "bubba" the shade tree is up against now?

Surely you know of rumors of a GOOD independent shop near you? Otherwise you're stuck with the dealer that screwed you in the first place. Is there another dealer close by you can go? If so, set up an appointment through someone at Chrysler Care.

What city are you in?

Last edited by TNtech; 08-09-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:36 PM
ashley72

I am in Hopkinsville, KY. Thought about taking it to Sisk. I bought it in Clarksville, Matthews Nissan. Lesson learned from that one.

Originally Posted by TNtech
The TIPM is that black box under the hood with the fuses in it. It is actually a computer as well. Serves as a Body Computer AND power module to the entire vehicle.

Of course it can be fixed. It's just a matter of someone competent enough to know what to monitor on the scan tool or the test light and find the actual issue. The horn relay is ON the circuit board of the TIPM. Depending on the frequency of the horn "ghosting", you might end up throwing parts at it if you want it resolved on your own. 3 main parts for the horn are...Horn Switch, Clockspring and TIPM. HOWEVER, the Horn Switch signal goes through the CLUSTER before it's bussed out to TIPM to give the command to blow. Starting to see what "bubba" the shade tree is up against now?

Surely you know of rumors of a GOOD independent shop near you? Otherwise you're stuck with the dealer that screwed you in the first place. Is there another dealer close by you can go? If so, set up an appointment through someone at Chrysler Care.

What city are you in?

Old 08-13-2021, 04:56 PM
nsenior

After lots of research and my own diagnosis, I was able to narrow it down. Most suggested it being the TIPM, I removed the TIPM and opened it to check the circuit board internally, nothing wrong with it. Checked for rubbed wiring under fuse box, nothing. Removed the air bag and horn switch. Found the ribbon cable rubbed on the mounting bracket for the horn switch causing it to create a ground contact as if the horn was being pressed. Added silicone to the rubbed area, reinstalled, no issues at all. It was a very intermittent issue and I ended up narrowing it down by using a scanner to see the live data stream for the horn switch and horn request, and when I was able to catch it happening I found the horn request would become true with horn switch off, as if the horn had been pressed for a long duration, and then would function along with the on/off of the switch after a short time. That small horn request with horn switch off is what will tell you if its the horn switch or another issue.

HornWokeMeUP (07-26-2023)
Old 10-11-2021, 04:17 PM
tee100

I am having this issue also. I have found this to be a huge issue all over the internet and it is really giving Dodge a bad name with so many years and no answers from the Maker. I sure wish I would have researched this better before trying my first experience with Dodge! Thank you nsenior for sharing your detailed troubleshooting! I have been to the dealership to have the plate replaced and clock spring tightened and still no lock. The horn went off on it's own 6 times while driving yesterday. I keep waiting for someone in the car in front of me to jump out with road rage. It is an awful driving experience. After every drive I have to remove the fuses so the honking does not wake up the entire neighborhood. I really like Dodge cars but this customer experience is something I have to share with all my friends while I am visiting and either opening my hood to remove the fuses in their driveway or watching everyone's embarrassed faces while it is going off in their driveway. PLEASE do something about this Dodge!!! I need to be contacted by Dodge to let me know an answer that does not cost more out of my pocket than what the car is even worth. Hope to hear from you soon.