Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

SXT vs. RT

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Scott P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SXT vs. RT

Wow...that was an unusual read.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:11 PM
thuffman03
Rookie

This was almost as bad as the Marauder vs. 300c I read on another fourm.

First ITS A MAGNUM!

Second which ever one you buy you are getting a great car.

Third.....Well I could go on forever but SXT, RT whatever. Just don't buy the SE!

Old 09-16-2004, 06:00 PM
joseph
Rookie

I want a car to replace my 95 Impala SS, hence the RT, anyone buying the V-6 are simply (without knowing) insulting this new muscle car era. Let's get this straight, the Magnum RT with some mods is a great muscle car, and yes, it's a wagon, a very stylish wagon, for practicallity, if dodge had marketed the muscle car lovers right, the RT would sell over the V-6, 5 to 1.
If all you want is a practical fast wagon, get the subaru wrx (better mileage, faster, AWD), and leave the Magnum RT to muscle car lovers like me.

Old 09-16-2004, 06:55 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

Just a quick FYI for the other SXT owners, there will be a performance chip available for the Magnum 3.5L available in about 3 - 4 weeks which, according to the manufacture, will and another 40-50 hp to the V6. I am currently working on a forced air induction system for the SXT and hope to have it completed sometime in the next couple of weeks, if all goes according to plan. Once completed, I will be glad to give photos etc, to any other SXT owners looking to get a little more performance out of there V6. So far, mine has gone from 250hp to near 300hp with the addition of duals, modified throttle body, K&N filter and opened up air receiver (drilled holes in it like a few others here in the Forum have done). With the chip and ram air, it should be up near the stock Hemi output. Of course, for raw power and performance, the Hemi is the way to go. I just like to experiment and see what can be accomplished with less. I used to hang out with a guy years ago by the name of Glenn Self from Durant, OK that held the world's record in the 1/4 mile for a naturally aspirated 6 cyl, under 9 seconds and that was back in the late 60's early 70's. It always amazed me what he could get out of a six banger so............. anyway, Hemi, six, four, who cares, the Magnum is just an awesome vehicle. I don't dis the Hemi owners but I sure do see a lot of Hemi owners down on the guys that bought the SXT. Lighten up guys, just relish in the fact you have a faster car then the other guys do and leave it at that. Now I will get off the soap box so I can field all the flack headed my way.

Magnums RULE!!!!

Old 09-16-2004, 07:24 PM
daffRT

ORIGINAL: sikpuppy

...anyway, Hemi, six, four, who cares, the Magnum is just an awesome vehicle. I don't dis the Hemi owners but I sure do see a lot of Hemi owners down on the guys that bought the SXT. Lighten up guys, just relish in the fact you have a faster car then the other guys do and leave it at that. Now I will get off the soap box so I can field all the flack headed my way.
No flack from this R/T owner. Very well-stated. Yes, there does seem to be a lot of condescension coming from other R/T guys; I once thought that way until I saw a sick-*** SXT with 20's in my area. My only question is this: have all of the performance mods you invested into your 6 banger bring the total cost to that of an R/T?

Old 09-16-2004, 09:13 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

Well, the exhaust by the time I was finished cost approx $300.00, throttle body was $125.00, K&N filter was $45.00. The chip is going to be $350.00 + tax and if all goes well, the ram induction will be around $250.00 once completed. All this for a total of (drum roll please)

$1070.00 which is a far cry from the $4000.00 difference between the RT and SXT (plus I still get around 26 mpg on the highway). Once I get everything completed and get it on the dyno again, I'll post the findings and performance times.

Old 09-17-2004, 08:57 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

More news related to SEMA in November. According to a reliable source, the lowering springs will be avialable after SEMA (drops the car approx 1.8") along with a shaker hood for the V6!! The new performance chip from Superchips will be here in Houston in about 3 more weeks, just waiting for DOT approval at this time according to the manufacturer. Getting ready to start the exterior dressup on the car now and working with Freshrydes here in Houston on paint color/design. I'll post some pics soon of their show winning Magnum that won at the recent DUB show here in Houston. more to come later...........

Old 09-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Redhouse
Rookie

Sikpuppy keep us updated, I'm interested in what your doing. Right now I'm checking out some rims I like. Anybody check out the rims in the Magnum accessories book, the 9-spoke chrome clad wheels?

Old 09-20-2004, 12:30 AM
honas

I just sold a pristine 95 corvette coupe with a modified lt1 motor. 365hp at the rear wheels. I like my RT as much! It is silky smooth and it just plain kicks butt! When you mash the go peddle at 60 it puts a big smile on your face! Trust me! GET THE RT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ben.

Old 09-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Cal Jeff

IMHO You can never have too much horsepower. That said money is a very important factor. Resale is resale. All things being equal the RT will always be worth more. As to mods I'd guess performance mods for the SXT might be a wait, while they do the Hemi.

The extra equipment available for the RT is another thought. Most of it will be available aftermarket. Given interest rates $4,000 means about $100 a month over 4 years. For what you could do to an SXT for $4,000 I'll take a RT. In equipment, horsepower the $4,000 in mods will never get you that close to an RT.

Just my $0.02.