Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

SXT vs. RT

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Scott P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SXT vs. RT

I finally stopped by to look at the Magnums this weekend. I really do like this car. I was very impressed by the versatility of the interior and I like all the color options. I have a feeling that reality is taking a foothold though. I would prefer an RT with several of the option groups. However, that comes in at about $31,000. A nicely equipped SXT comes in at $27,000 or so.

Now, I know I'm giving up the Hemi and some very nice electronic options. But, that $4,000 might come in handy for mods. Part of me says that if a big engine is available, then I should get it. The other part thinks that money saved is a good thing.

Has anyone run track times in an SXT yet? The RT runs 14.5 stock and 13's is just a few short mods away. Is the SXT a 15 sec car?

Old 09-13-2004, 12:44 PM
joseph
Rookie
Default RE: SXT vs. RT

doesn't matter, get the RT and supercharge it, later when you can afford it.

Old 09-13-2004, 01:14 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

Spend the extra cash for the RT, the car will be worth more if you ever sell it. Why end up wishing you had the RT, just go for it.

I didn't want to spend that much on a car either, but I love my RT, it was $33,000 and worth every cent.

Bob

Old 09-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Scott P

You guys aren't helping...

Old 09-13-2004, 01:56 PM
shiltz
Captain

if you want perfomance then definatly get the RT, you would be hard pressed to get an SXT up to the hp of RT with 4k, and even once you do you're still stuck with a worse transmission, think I remember seeing someone saying mid 16's for the SXT which sounds about right given it's slowish 0-60 of around 8.5 seconds, compaired to the RT which is around 5.9 seconds.

Old 09-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Scott P

16 sec in the quarter-mile? Ok, I'm saving for the Hemi!

Old 09-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Redhouse
Rookie

As an SXT owner you RT guys crack me up. Come on, the SXT is not that slow or that bad. Give credit were credit is do. The SXT is a awesome everyday car. Besides, were can you drive the RT that lets you really open it up. Car and Driver tested a SXT and said it ran 15's on the quarter mile at 89 mph and 0 to 60 was 7 seconds.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

Old 09-13-2004, 05:02 PM
Redhouse
Rookie

4000 more for 2 seconds faster.

Old 09-13-2004, 06:06 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

And worth every penny...................LOL.

When people stop me to look at my car, they always want to see the Hemi.

Do they ever ask to see your V6?

I have had 6's of all sizes, I prefer V8's.

In this case, bigger IS better.

When I went to my dealer to look at the Magnum, he was out of RT's and he asked if I wanted to test drive the SXT - I declined. I came back when he had some RT's and bought one.

Ever wonder why Dodge doesn't make commercials about the V6?

Hemi sells cars.

Bob

Old 09-13-2004, 06:25 PM
Tzar007

ORIGINAL: Redhouse

As an SXT owner you RT guys crack me up. Come on, the SXT is not that slow or that bad. Give credit were credit is do. The SXT is a awesome everyday car. Besides, were can you drive the RT that lets you really open it up. Car and Driver tested a SXT and said it ran 15's on the quarter mile at 89 mph and 0 to 60 was 7 seconds.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
Don't want to be a smartass, but this article is saying 7.5 sec, not 7 (0.5 sec is an important difference on the 0-60). And it says 15.8 for the quarter mile, quite close to the 16s mentionned above.

Now, don't make a mistake about it, those are fair enough numbers for such a heavy car, but it's nothing close to the RT, and I indeed doubt that 4000$ would put an SXT on the same performance level of a RT (notwithstanding the fact that all these mods would simply provoke reliability and durability issues that the RT would not have).

The reality is that people don't buy a SE or SXT for the performance. They buy them because they think the Magnum is cool and practical, and they don't give to the performance criteria that much importance compared to other buyers. On that basis, the SXT and SE become very logical choices.

I am currently looking at getting a Magnum RT but if I don't get a good price enough for my trade-in, I will simply wait a couple of months and pile up some more cash to get the RT instead of getting the SXT since performance is important for me.