Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Transmission chatter forward to reverse-SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007 | 10:12 PM
ASE master
Default Transmission chatter forward to reverse-SRT8

I have a new 2007 Magnum SRT8, 600 miles. It appears theres some chatter when going from forward to reverse or vice versa. The chatter is felt when re accelerating during slow speed maneuvers. I'm not sure if its intermittent or theres certain specific conditions to get it to do it. Has anyone had this?Does dodge consider it normal?? I don't. It feels like the older dodge trannies when the wrong fluid was used and clutches chattered.
I'm seeing too many scarry posts about tranny issues.

Old 07-24-2007 | 06:40 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain
Default RE: Transmission chatter forward to reverse-SRT8

ASE Master,
Take your car to a Dealer right away. Have them fix it. No it does not sound normal. Drive another new car and see if it does what your car does. If not, yours needs repair. If there is no SRT-8 to drive, drive an RT. If it is quiet where yours is noisy, tell them you have an upgrade to this RT Model and yours should be better, since you paid more...

Let us know what was wrong with it!

Old 07-24-2007 | 11:51 PM
Magmania
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 2005 Magnum R/T Hemi

ASE Master,
Take your car to a Dealer right away. Have them fix it. No it does not sound normal. Drive another new car and see if it does what your car does. If not, yours needs repair. If there is no SRT-8 to drive, drive an RT. If it is quiet where yours is noisy, tell them you have an upgrade to this RT Model and yours should be better, since you paid more...

Let us know what was wrong with it!
I agree. I can't really image exactly what you are describing but you are bettersafe than sorry. Good Luck.

Old 07-25-2007 | 12:35 AM
ASE master

After doing a bit of parking lot studying of the issue and trying several gear changes- at this moment I believe this is what happens in my case: Whentranny is changed to reverse from neutral it takes a while to truly engage fully intoreverse- more time than "old standard non electronic automatics".
It is likely we were starting to hit the gas justprior to the exact time reverse was fully engaged, then feeling a chatter sensation, probably since clutch plates aren't fully clamped together at that moment. I will keep an eye on this and time will tell. If I had my way, reverse would engage quicker once lever is in R. Electronically controlled trannies have a mind of their own. I will keep you posted.
Maybe a question now would be: Do you experience a fairly delayed reverse engagement, maybe by some seconds over other autos you're used to?

Old 07-26-2007 | 03:23 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

No delay. Something is wrong. Don't give the dealer the opportunity to find a loophole not to help you out 110%, like let's say, not taking it in for over a week it started having trouble. I have no clue what the computer and the black box records, but I am sure it is more than we see on our display.

Drive to reverse takes two seconds. Stop. (clock starts) Shift. (1 second) Engage. (2 seconds) Go...

Take her in, let us know what they say...

Old 07-27-2007 | 09:49 PM
ASE master

Its going in next week, I'll keep u posted!
It has been intermittently chattering also from N to D. Its not right.

Old 08-02-2007 | 09:46 PM
ASE master

Appears its fixed...dealer reflashed tranny module with latest update, fluid was determined to be t correct level. Hope this helps someone else.

Old 09-11-2007 | 05:49 PM
romeodj

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM 2007 RT / AWD MY DEALERS TRANNY TECH TOLD MY THEY KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM AND ARE WORKING ON A FIX. THE REVERSE CLUTCH PACK DOESN'T RELEASE THE FLUID FAST ENOUGH SO WHEN YOU SHIFT TO DRIVE REVERSE CLUTCHES ARE NOT FULLY REALEASED YET. WHEN I'M BACKING UP I TAKE IT OUT OF REVERSE WHILE I'M STILL ROLLING BACK TO GIVE THEM TIME TO RELEASE THEN SHIFT TO DRIVE TILL THEY COME UP WITH THE FIX IT SEAMS TO WORK.

Old 09-15-2007 | 11:24 PM
thankuhal
Professional

We had one come in our dealership a few months ago. Wasn't a SRT, had a 5.7. The techs reflashed the system. It seemed to take care of it. Have not heard from the customer either.

[IMG]local://upfiles/71292/E303DDDEEAAD486897BD2F940628A0A2.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Transmission chatter forward to reverse-SRT8