Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Installing GPS

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:20 PM
cujofreak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing GPS

Hey i'm looking to install a GPS Nav system, I have looked at getting one for a while and I finally have the money to get one.

The problem is I want it to look stock, like it fits the car and isn't out of place. Like the RT In Dash GPS.

I found this GPS here:

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/dodge_m...1795C3693.aspx

which i believe is the stock one, only problem is it says it does not fit All Wheel Drive magnums, whcih just so happens to be the magnum I drive.
Any suggestions on a good GPS in dash system for my car. I want it to look like it's part of the car instead of really flashy.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:29 AM
Magmania
Veteran
Default RE: Installing GPS

I have never seen the inside of an AWD but that looks like that is the factory OEM nav unit. I have read that there are essential components that are needed to make it work such as the antenna ad various other components. I don't have that list availible but if I find it I will post it for you.
You will also need to have a double dinn? opening where your existing radio/CD player is.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:03 AM
cujofreak

That'd be great thanks! I had such High hopes for getting the stock model, so I hope it is possible to put it in. Money can make anything happen, I just hope it doesnt cost me a large amount.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:39 AM
cujofreak

Ok so i went to Best Buy and saw this pioneer DVD Navigation system:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...66&catid=21993

Only problem is it's Double-DIN, unfortunatly I have no idea what that means, I assume it means dashboard space.

Does the 2006 Magnum AWD SXT have Double-DIN?? Where would I find this information.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Magmania
Veteran

I am not an expert on these issues at all. Someone once told me that the OEM version was double din (the in dash height). That looks like a nice unit. It is probably less expensive than the factory version. I think the dodge price is somewhere in the neighborhood of $1600 dollars.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:07 PM
cujofreak

this stuff is all so confusing.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:37 PM
fr8hauler
Rookie

My uninformed two cents... the Best Buy unit doesn't seem to have a an AM/FMtuner or satellite capability. you might want to check that out.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:48 PM
cujofreak

The GPS comes with Sirius Sat Radio. I currently have that anyways. Plus right now I have a 6 disk Cd changer so I can't remember the last time i listened to the radio. All the songs i'd want are on my Ipod anyways, which can be hooked up to the GPS system

Old 08-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Strykker
Professional

Interesting, I have not heard of the AWD NAV radio being different than the RWD. Either way the additional equipment you will need is a roof antenna for the SAT and the NAV antenna which can be tucked in above the radio in the dash and a new radio bezel all of which can be had at your dealer or better still one of the online vendors (cheaper in a lot of cases). You can go aftermarket but you will have to work out some aftermarket mounting as well. Look around on the forums there are a lot of folks who made the switch and rather nicely with a little tweaking and modding.

Advice for all: check around before buying a stock NAV from a dealer or online vendor, you can find them on ebay and in forums for sale all the time and you will save a lot of money. I got one for 600.00 with the nav antenna, I already had the sat radio.

ORIGINAL: cujofreak

Hey i'm looking to install a GPS Nav system, I have looked at getting one for a while and I finally have the money to get one.

The problem is I want it to look stock, like it fits the car and isn't out of place. Like the RT In Dash GPS.

I found this GPS here:

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/dodge_m...1795C3693.aspx

which i believe is the stock one, only problem is it says it does not fit All Wheel Drive magnums, whcih just so happens to be the magnum I drive.
Any suggestions on a good GPS in dash system for my car. I want it to look like it's part of the car instead of really flashy.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:28 PM
LtlDad
Professional

I added a REC (stock Nav radio) to my Magnum (I belive out of a Jeep). As long as it has the "REC" code (from DCX), then you will be fine and all will simply 'plug in'. You will need to get the antenna's suggested (GPS and Sirius), but all will fit. You will also need to get the BEZEL to match the REC radio.

You can call/visit this website and see all necessary components. This is where I bought the GPS antenna:

http://www.moparsupercenter.com/

Quick Reply: Installing GPS