Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

SXT vs RT

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 02:51 AM
cmdycrzr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SXT vs RT

SXT owners, do you regret not getting the Hemi because of lack of power?

Or conversely, do RT owners regret not getting the SXT because of gas mileage issues or that the Hemi is just too much.

Curious minds (and a future Magnum owner) wants to know!

Old 11-23-2004, 03:35 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SXT vs RT

I don't think that the 3.5 gets that much better mileage. Remember the HEMI has the MDS system, it should be pretty close to the 3.5. I would think the only reason to buy the smaller engine would be initial sale price.

Old 11-23-2004, 04:36 AM
sikpuppy
Professional

I guess the mileage question depends on your driving situation. How much city/highway driving you do? How heavy is your foot? If you're like most of us Magnum owners, Hemi and SXT, we like to punch it as frequently as we can. Yes, the Hemi is quite a bit more powerful but he 3.5 V6 performs pretty good, especially when you consider it is in a 4000 vehicle! I have no regrets about getting the SXT, but I have begun doing some performance upgrades just to have some fun and try to develop the full potential of the V6, just like everyone is doing with the Hemi. It all comes down to personal feelings on what you want out of a car and what your pocketbook will allow. I just took all the money I would have spent on the Hemi and put it into my interior upgrades, stereo system, and wheels/tires. No matter which way you go, you will love the Magnum 'cause they are just a great car all around. Good Luck!

Old 11-23-2004, 02:59 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

From my understanding the MDS operates only at "cruising". The majority of my driving is in town where, the 2mpg MDS increase would not help. I just got rid of a Ram 1500 because of the realworld 11/15mpg that I was getting. Now I get 20 avg mpg. The worst I have gotten is 18 and that was tromping it every light. I recently did a trip to chicago from omaha and got 28mpg. Granted the 15.8sec (R&T reported) 1/4 mile is no screamer, but for $6000 less than the R/T, I was completely surprised with the power. As for mods, on the ram I did the stock to glasspack to flowmaster upgrades, k&n filter and tonneau cover to increase the mpg and the HP when didnt care about the gas. And for me the conclusion is that it's all a waste. Yes the mufflers gave it a "mean" sound, but I must have gotten old because that dont matter much any more. The K&N left oily residue in the throttle body. The SXT in my opinion is the perfect car. I can haul nearly as much as the truck, pretty good gas milage and the looks are outta the world. If I was into the "hot-rod" scene I would have gotten the R/T.

Old 11-23-2004, 03:07 PM
Wicked96SS

That is considerably better than what I am getting. I have a RT Magnum, and I do mostly traffic driving, bumper to bumper, with a brief stint on the highway every day. This also includes at least 1 WOT run (hey, says to do that in the owners manual to help break it in!!)... usually from about 20 MPH to 70 MPH... Computer says I am getting 16.3 MPG average (about 2.5 MPG better than my truck in the same condition, and about the same as the Pacifica)... actual calculation of it is about the same, so the computer is pretty close. I always reset the MPG when I fill of the tank... and try to note what my habits were.

The test will be in December when I have to take a 4+ hour all highway drive in it. Assuming that I keep my foot out of it, I am hoping to average over 20 MPG... We shall see!!

Old 11-23-2004, 04:30 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

On my Magnum RT I get anywhere from 17 - 24 MPG, it all depends on how you drive it.

The only regret I have is the price you have to pay to get the Hemi.

Other than that, I love it and am not sorry at all.

Bob

Old 11-23-2004, 08:27 PM
bobschm

If you're not running a HEMI then what's the point. [sm=smiley2.gif]

On the other hand, if you have to worry about the price of fuel, forget the HEMI. You won't be able to keep your foot out of it long enough to see 20 mpg![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Bob

Old 11-23-2004, 09:13 PM
ItsDartsSXT

I have the SXT and find it's power plenty for my "everyday" driving needs, I'll admit the price was the deciding factor for me and the increased insurance cost as well. I'm stretching my budget as it is now with the SXT. I wish I had the extra money for the RT only because I'm tired of saying "Nooooooo I didn't get the Hemi" to everyone who asks, and almost everyone interested in the car asks. As for milage, My daily comute includes both freeway and city streets and I'm averaging 21 to 22 mpgI've taken 2 trips to Caseville Mi using 50mph back roads to get there and averaged 23 to 24 mpg. the owners manual recommends using mid grade gasoline which is about 10 cents more per gallon in michigan, the performance is slightly better than regular gas, and only $1.50 or so more per tankful (1.80 if you run it dry) You have to decide for yourself if 90 more HP is worth 4 to 6 grand for the RT.

Old 11-24-2004, 06:36 PM
Inferno Magnum
Rookie

ORIGINAL: ItsDartsSXT

You have to decide for yourself if 90 more HP is worth 4 to 6 grand for the RT.
Oh Yeah![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-25-2004, 02:06 AM
kmag50
Rookie

Yes the RT is my choice ...just got mine two days ago and oh what a honey it is...already have two coats of wax on it and it is looking mighty nice...now if the weather would just cooperate .........[>:]