Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

It happened…

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Inferno Magnum
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It happened…

It happened…

I was getting on the freeway after getting gas and a HEMI Ram was in front of me. He took off on the onramp and actually passed a car on the shoulder. I was thinking “what a jacka$$”. Once I passed the car he had passed, I gave it gas and got in the fastlane. I noticed that the Ram had slowed and I was catching up to him. He was two lanes over from me when I was almost up to him when he punched it again, passed two cars then crossed two lanes getting in front of the vehicle that was in front of me. At that very moment I saw flashing lights in the rearview and thought, oh that guy’s going to get it. Well I got out of the way, and the officer followed. I got over one more lane, and well, so did the officer.

I got the speeding ticket, on Thanksgiving no less. I think it’s double fines.

Anyway, I asked him if he’d seen the pickup truck and he said he did. Said it didn’t matter because I was still going over 65. I think that’s BS. I may have been going over 65, BUT I got in the fast lane, stayed there, and was driving (safely) behind another vehicle. If he’d really seen this guy (crossing multiple lanes, going faster than I was), why’d he pull me over? Was I somehow being more dangerous.

I turns out the officer saw us pull onto the freeway and said to his partner, “Hey, have you seen one of the new Dodge ‘Wagons’?”. Well obviously that’s all he saw. Focused on the new “Dodge Wagon”. Said he was cruising at 75 and saw us getting smaller and smaller. If only I’d gotten the HEMI RAM and not the Wagon!?.

To top it off, Officer ‘blind eye’ says “Hey, I’m a Sergeant, I don’t usually give tickets.” Hey, thanks for making an exception buddy! Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-27-2004, 07:09 PM
speedyguy
Default RE: It happened…

Go to court to contest. You didn’t sign the ticket did you?

More than likely he will not show if he is a reasonable cop. Really I know many chp officers and they are humans and the majority like fast cars and speed. So if the guy is reasonable I am betting he will not show up to court.

Good luck.

If he didn’t see the other then he could have mistaken you for the other truck. A very reasonable argument. Most importantly if he is not there the ticket is gone.

Ty

Old 11-28-2004, 06:25 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't sign the ticket in CA you go to jail instead, signing the ticket is your R.O.R. Most law enforcement officers get paid to show up for court. You will never beat a CHP ticket, I have actually been told that by a judge in open court during a cross examination. They spent weeks at the acadamy going over tickets/court appearence/cross examination.

It sucks but selective enforcement is totally leagal, he can choose which if any of the violators he wishes to ticket. I usually get picked off for being loud, my buddies are too tall (street wheelers), in high school we had too loud stereos, you guys get it for having the latest and greatest cars being built.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Inferno Magnum
Rookie

ORIGINAL: dodgemech

It sucks but selective enforcement is totally leagal
And I couldn't argue that I wasn't breaking the law. I was going over the posted limit of 65. Even if there was maybe only one car on I15 going under 65, I was "selected". That's what it would come down to if I showed up in court. "Were you going over the posted speed limit?".... 'Well uhh, Yes'.[:'(]

Old 11-29-2004, 03:08 PM
via500
Professional

In Germany they WOULD have gone after the guy who passed on the shoulder since he was driving recklessly and they would have left you alone. Americans are totally fixated on speed so pay your ticket and support your local cop/judge/lawyer.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:11 PM
Inferno Magnum
Rookie

ORIGINAL: via500

In Germany they WOULD have gone after the guy who passed on the shoulder since he was driving recklessly
You would think that would be the case anywhere.

The other guy was driving recklessly AND going faster than I was. The officer had 'tunnel vision'.[sm=smiley22.gif]

Old 11-29-2004, 06:22 PM
via500
Professional

Are you new to the US?

Old 11-29-2004, 09:32 PM
bobschm

Contest it anyway. Often the fine is reduced if you have a decent argument. Forget the truck. Don't even mention it. They never accept the old "the other guy was worse" argument.

Here's one that worked for me. "I was not looking at my speed. I was probably speeding, but I was just going with the traffic. I was not passing enyone. It's a new car and I'm not used to it yet." Every court officer knows that everyone speeds. A sincere admission of guilt and promise to pay more attention is pretty much what they want to hear.

Good luck.

Bob

Old 12-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Cal Jeff

Signing a moving violation is not equal to R.O.R. (Released on your Own Recognisance) as you are not technically in custody. It is a promise to appear.

ORIGINAL: Inferno Magnum

ORIGINAL: dodgemech

It sucks but selective enforcement is totally leagal
And I couldn't argue that I wasn't breaking the law. I was going over the posted limit of 65. Even if there was maybe only one car on I15 going under 65, I was "selected". That's what it would come down to if I showed up in court. "Were you going over the posted speed limit?".... 'Well uhh, Yes'.[:'(]

Old 12-02-2004, 05:26 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In lei of being taken into custody.

Quick Reply: It happened…