Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Rims Needed for Snows Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 04:21 AM
Scott
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims Needed for Snows Tires

For high-perf winter driving and to protect the original 18" rims, I would like to obtain another set of rims and mount snow tires.

Salt is applied liberally to roads here in Wisconsin. Even if I protect the alloy rims with wax, salt still gets into the bead area, causes corrosion, and air leakage follows in as little as 2-3 years. The tires need to be dismounted and rims wire brushed to remove the corrosion.

Tirerack.com indicates that less expensive 17" rims and tires will fit the RT, but steel rims are not available. Their alloy rims start at $190 each, so a set of rims and tires whack out to $1,250 plus freight.

The new car sales manager thinks that steel rims are available from Dodge for $600 per set of four. I plan to confirm this number with the parts dept.

Anyone have lower cost ideas for rims? Possibly, someone bought a set of custom rims and would like to sell their original factory rims ?

Old 12-09-2004, 04:35 AM
Hemi RT
Professional
Default RE: Rims Needed for Snows Tires

SHould be able to get those 17" from the dealer. 17" steel wheels are Stock on th SE

Old 12-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Inferno RT

Check out Ebay there are a lot of rims for Magnum listed. Most are by dealers that have changed out for Custom Wheels.
Hope this helps.

Cool Car Huh? Good luck

Old 12-09-2004, 01:21 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

Paying $600 for steel rims seems out of line to me!

You should be able to find steel wheels a lot cheaper elsewhere.

I would not buy alloy wheels just for snow tires, the salt will ruin them.

Go with steel rims and snow tires, or do what I did - move to Florida.

Bob

Old 12-09-2004, 01:46 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

Since the RT has larger diameter rotors + the caliper assembly, I doubt if a 17" will fit. I have a call in to the DC technical group to verify and should know something shortly.

OK - according to DC tech department, the 17" wheels WILL NOT fit the RTs. Further, they know of no aftermarket manufacturer that is producing any 17" wheels with enough offset to work. The actual measurment of the RTs rotor/caliper is almost 17" and that is why they come with 18" wheels from the factory. So don't shoot the messenger LOL!! Just trying to keep you guys from wasting time/effort MONEY, by dealing with Tirerack or any other online source that just wants to sell their product without doing proper research first.

Old 12-09-2004, 03:37 PM
BMWDON
Rookie

Hey Sikpuppy, can you call them and ask the difference in backspacing on the RWD and AWD's? [sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 12-09-2004, 09:28 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

I'll see if I can get an answer for you tomorrow Don.

Old 12-10-2004, 03:43 AM
Scott

Hey Guys, mucho thanks for the helpful replies.

sikpuppy, you wrote: "according to DC tech department, the 17" wheels WILL NOT fit the RTs". What is the DC tech department and how are they contacted?

Neither the Dodge customer assistance phone line (listed on their website) nor the parts department at the dealer had access to information about parts swapping or wheel offset specs of factory configurations. However, they did have some experience with people having problems with non-stock configurations. In particular, was the warning to not upgrade to 20" rims, yet. They reported stability and other problems.

I am a bit surprised that Tirerack is wrong about recommending 17 wheels, they usually are reliable and even refuse to sell configurations that are not recommended.

-------------------------------------------

BMWDON, The backspacing (offset) is different between the rims of the RT AWD and the RT RWD. When the cars are side by side you can see it at a glance.

With a large spoke wheel, the offset can be measured fairly closely without removing the wheel from the car. Lay a straight edge across the face of the rim by the bead (don't let it touch the tire). Place a ruler at 90 degrees to the straight edge and measure the distance to where the rotor and rim meet. There is over 1 inch difference between the rims for the RWD and the AWD.

In my book, form follows function, so I've dropped the idea of swapping wheels between AWD and RWD. Besides, I like the AWD wheels... it is just that the RWD wheels are a bit nicer.

Inferno, Thanks for the pointer to EBay. No AWD rims yet, they will probably be more rare, but I will keep checking.

Magnum RT -- "Go with steel rims and snow tires, or do what I did - move to Florida."

Now, that is thinking outside the box!

Hemi RT -- regarding the use of the SE's 17"steel rims, my dealer is so concerned problems with different size rims, they offerred to discount the purchase of another set of AWD alloy rims.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:42 AM
sikpuppy
Professional

The Tech deparment is available to dealerships and authorized, warranty repair centers for DC. I have been dealing with the same dealership for several years now and have a great working relationship with the service and parts manager. I work everything through them, for the most part, and they have been most helpful and willing to get any information I have asked for. They have given me the inside track on many things and I guess having over 15 years with the Dodge division helps!! Great guys, great dealership!

Old 12-10-2004, 09:55 AM
BMWDON
Rookie

So which way is the difference when you see them side by side? I'm not at the dealer right now and can't remember looking at it, but I would guess the RWD was the wider stance? RWD being closer to the nuetural offset to almost negative offset and the AWD having the higher positive offset/narrower track? That sucks, on the dodge website, they claim the same track width. I'm looking at aftermarket rims, they have options of +2, +14, and +27MM offset, I'm guessing the RWD is in the +2 dept and the AWD will be +27MM to fit right. Less dish on the appearance, oh well [:'(]

Quick Reply: Rims Needed for Snows Tires