Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Quality of RK Sport and/or DG Motorsport

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 07:49 PM
StatueMan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality of RK Sport and/or DG Motorsport

Need a quick assessment from folks that purchased either the Viper-style hood from RK Sport or the Shaker-style hood from DG Motorsport. I noted 'diggers" comments about the quality of his RK hood on delivery. As I'm about to plop down about $700 in shipping to Germany, fitting and paint, plus the cost of the hood, I can easily have $2200 in the hood...I certainly don't need to do repairs on a "new" hood to top of that. Comments from those that purchased the above hoods as to quality???!!! Appreciate it.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:54 PM
armadillo
Rookie
Default RE: Quality of RK Sport and/or DG Motorsport

I don't think the DG unit is out yet, as for the RK hood, check out posts by Grinner on his necessary work to get the hood prepared.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:56 PM
HemiMag
Veteran

I too am very curious....I am seriously considering the RK hood.

Old 02-05-2005, 08:41 PM
VegasHemi
Professional

Well, take this for what it's worth, I saw the DG hood at Sema and it fit perfect and looked great. Now mind you, I'm sure it was they put their best foot forward for the Sema Show. I'm not saying their hoods for sale are any less than the hood I saw, but like I said, the hood was fitted for the show. I have ordered seveal carbon fiber products from DG for my Ford Lightning and the quality is top notch. Hope this helps you.

Old 02-06-2005, 03:19 PM
StatueMan
Rookie

Thanks...yeah, saw that. My bust. I meant "grinner"... not "digger". Too much merlot last night...

Old 02-06-2005, 05:40 PM
grinner
All Star

I speant 4 hours this budbolw sunday notching my passenger side wiper arm so I can use my wipers. It still rubs and the wiper looks pretty rough. You can't see it with the hood down as it's tucked under the cawl but at a show, with the hood up, you'll see it so I have to dress it up quite a bit.
Most of you who get the viper hood will opt to just removed the passenger side wiper and use only one.
Shame they didn't see it worth while to research or fix this. It'd be as easy as raising the cawl one inch wich would look cooler anyway.
I'm ver disappointed in the overall quality (or lack of) on this hood. While it turned out nice, it cost me as much to prep and paint it as it did for the hood and now I have a very ugly wiper that still rubs.
I give it a 3 on a scale from 1 to 10.

..only because I dig the way it looks.

Old 02-06-2005, 05:43 PM
HemiMag
Veteran

Do you think the hood could be modified, before paint, to clear the wiper?

Rex

Old 02-06-2005, 07:40 PM
StatueMan
Rookie

I'm sure it's not lost on everyone that modifications shouldn't be required. It should come as a correct mod with clearances, washer nozzles, etc., correctly fabricated. I'd like to think that these are constantly corrected as the things are produced. I can see an initial run being a bit off, but... and that's what worries me. I'll pay $700 to ship and if it doesn't fit I'm stuck with a $700 lawn ornament or I can put wheels on it and use it for a creeper. I was ready to order, even at the premium, until I read Grinner's post...now...? Hum?
But it does look good...!

I'm on the e-mail notification list for the DG hood, so... I may have to wait and see an impression of that one on delivery. And VegasHemi is correct...it'll be "duded up" for a show...hum? Decisions, decisions...?

Old 02-06-2005, 08:32 PM
grinner
All Star

well, I must say I am impatient.
Heck, I got a car with a roof rack then had it shaved just cuz I didn't wanna order and wait for a car.
That said, I have no doubt the hood will only get better with time. It would have to or they simply wouldn't sell anymore. Assuming they didn't make it as a one-off, it can then be assumed they will keep working on it. I just think it's bogus that they sell em today having obviously never bolted one on a car... or at least turned on the wipers afterwards.
I don't like companies that don't do their best. It's because my clients get only the best from me that I expect the best from everybody else. This is both nieve and frustrating.
In short... I'm not saying don't buy one. I'm saying, to avoid much frustration and expense, wait until they perfect it... or at least make it presentable (perfection is a long way away).

Old 02-06-2005, 09:02 PM
HemiMag
Veteran

That's where my problem arises...I am impatient as well. Since I my RT was
far from perfect when I took delivery, ie dent in roof, warped sunroof glass,
overspray in the door jams...etc, I guess I am used to "working around" things...lol

However, I do agree, the hood should have been "refined" before being released
for sale. I would expect to open and close the hood....use the wipers...washers..etc.

Quick Reply: Quality of RK Sport and/or DG Motorsport