Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Trip using dino oil and Mobil 1 and MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005 | 02:10 AM
chefboyrlee
Professional
Default RE: Trip using dino oil and Mobil 1 and MPG

ok, so u have the v6 that explains a lot.
still, very impressive numbers coming outta the 6

Old 03-11-2005 | 08:14 PM
Scott
Default Cold weather behavior of Syn Oil

ORIGINAL: 356MAGNUM
I dont see any advantage to syn.
Aren't you aware that syn flows better than dino at cold temps? That means that Syn oil gets to where it is needed quicker when starting on cold winter days which has to reduce wear. Engines with syn also turn-over easier which makes for easier starting.

Old 03-12-2005 | 03:51 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Default RE: Cold weather behavior of Syn Oil

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Old 03-12-2005 | 05:59 PM
356MAGNUM
|
Record Breaker

While living in Minot ND, using dino oil, I took a 4.3L with over 130,000 miles out of an S-10 to put in a 350. Sold the 4.3L to a chevy mech, that does the enigine rebuilds at the dealership, that was going to rebuild it. After he took it apart, he measured everything and there was no reason for the rebuild. All the bearings were within specs, the cylinder walls were fine and whatever else that he measured. He said that if he didnt know better, the engine had only 30-40K miles on it.

IMO out about the easy flow of Syn on cold days, looking at oil pressure gauge of different vehicles that I have owned (Dodge was so nice NOT to includes it on the Magnum), the guage read the same no matter what I have used. Pressure is pressure. I'm sure the oil pump has to work harder, but still delives the same amount of oil. Again this is in my own opinion, but I sure that Dogemech will be more than happy to rebute this idea. Haha.

Old 03-12-2005 | 06:00 PM
356MAGNUM
|
Record Breaker

Wow did you think of that all by yourself or you get that from a Dodge manual?

Old 03-13-2005 | 02:26 AM
dodgemech
All Star

I'll tell you what; I run some HPDE and OT events. If you are so sure of dino oil then I'll run some at the next event. If the motor fails as a result of oil temp/break down then you pay for the overhaul OK? I have seen way too many engines let go at 150MPH as a direct result of operating temp and lubrication failures. I will always run synthetic oil and all the guys I run with will as well.

Odd that GM deems it necessary in the C5 and C6, DCX sees fit to run it on ALL the SRT platforms as well as the Daimler cars, Ford runs it in the SVO packages; almost every motor sports arena team runs it in their engines. Gee, I guess the most knowledgeable people in the automotive world are all wrong. Maybe you and your expert tutelage should take a position at the head SEMA and let us all know how wrong we all were.

Old 03-13-2005 | 02:46 AM
done
Rookie

Denny, that reply is a little aggressive in light of the previous posts. Are you really surprised that a well maintained and standard street use engine would show little wear at that milage? I don't think anyone questions that a synthetic is better, just is it worthwhile to use in a normal street car that is not driven hard like your race cars. And of course, it seems expensive for those who can't quite handle oil changes less often than 3000 miles, like their daddy said to. Of course my daddy changed oil every thousand miles in the fifties.

Old 03-13-2005 | 04:56 AM
dodgemech
All Star

Actually the sarcasm came as a result of this quote
Wow did you think of that all by yourself or you get that from a Dodge manual?
The rebuttal is a result of the lack of knowledge about why synthetics are better, using an oil pressure read out as a gauge of cold pour....come on? Do some research next time. No oil company, including those that don't even have a synthetic line will dispute the advantages of cold pour, resistance to heat damage or longevity of the additive package. Please show up with better tech next time, how about using the search feature as well. I know this has come up at least twice in the last 6 months, with links and tech back up.

Old 03-13-2005 | 11:37 PM
356MAGNUM
|
Record Breaker

Actually my sarcasm came as a result of this quote

ORIGINAL: dodgemech

I may have taken it wrong as an insult, and if I did I do apoligize.

As for now the great debate. I have never claimed to be an expert. I am going on my personal experience. With your statement on the "HiPo" factory cars being sent from the factory with synthetic oil, this being very true with me wondering if it is so great why doesnt Dodge put it in all the vehicles or my "H.O." 3.5L?

This thread was started as me trying to pass information on my experince on the syn vs dino oil. It was not put in some racer of which has absolutely nothing to deal with the average daily driver. Yes I ran syn in my 68 Camero with a so called "Built" 427. And I do agree that syn is superior for those applications, but not for the average daily driver.

I guess my bitterness comes from all makers charging outragous prices for items. The best example I can come up with the stock stereo system in the car. Im pretty sure that the price on the stocker is over $500 for the radio alone, not sure but again from personal experience looking at upgrading the plain radio when I had a 85 Charger to a factory CD unit. I just upgraded the system in my Magnum for $400 and is a thousand times better than the stock(not including the amps and subs). I just paid $180 for a MP3/WMA CD head unit. I can't figure out why the makers just don't give up and put in brand name stuff to start with. The Boston Acoustic system was a nice try. I had the Infinity system in the Ram and it was great, the only thing I added was a sub system. Now before someone says that the average person has no need for a "boomer" system, the system I installed is not a crazy db Racer system. It is just a nice clean and crisp sounding system.

Now for the attitudes that both of us are showing, let's drop them. I will continue to post my opinions and experiences and take all constructive criticism.

Old 03-14-2005 | 03:18 AM
dodgemech
All Star

In all fairness, there really isn't anything HO about the HO 3.5.

Agreed that some items the manufacterer provides seem overpriced however have you noticed that the OE stuff like radios for instance "match" the factory interior much better than the generic replacements. They are also tied into the buss network for diagnostics that the generic is not. You are not paying for the headunit but for the entire system that it was incorporated to work with and the R&D nesessary to make it all work in harmony. Sucks but the alterantive does not look nearly as nice IMO. I am kind of a fanatic about fit&finish.

Quick Reply: Trip using dino oil and Mobil 1 and MPG