Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Car Shake (Crow Hopping) on slow turns

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 06:31 PM
FlatEric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Shake (Crow Hopping) on slow turns

I am getting a vibration when turning the wheel 3/4 to a full turn and then moving the car, like backing out of a parking space or pulling into my driveway. The whole car shakes, even at this low speed. And the wheel buzzes in my hands, like a vibrator, even when the car is not moving, but worse when driving.

It started this even before I put my new wheels on, at first I thought I had thrown a weight. But is has gotten progressively worse, and I feel it even when driving when I enter tight curves. I put my original wheels/tires back on just to convince myself that they were not the problem, and they were not, so I put the new ones back on. After the car is driven for 20 miles or so, the low speed vibration when moving slow and turning goes away, but the steering wheel buzz never does (it puts my hands to sleep).

I have an appointment at the shop but was wondering if anyone else had had this and what the fix was?

Thanks.

Old 05-18-2005, 07:12 PM
digitalebola
Default RE: Car Shake

I had a similar problem with a Mark VIII. It was a tranny issue at low speed (like parking and such) bad modulator or somesuch.

Dealer is you best bet especially if it a repeatable offense. But you could check the tranny fluid as well.

John

Old 05-18-2005, 10:25 PM
MikeEast
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But you could check the tranny fluid as well.
Not on the Hemi you can't - dealer only...Check yours for where the dipstick should be, can /you/ get that sucker off? I can't...

Mike

Old 05-19-2005, 05:09 AM
digitalebola

use a 1 inch open end wrench and give it a half turn. You will find... no dip stick!!!! They really do not want us there!

John

Old 05-19-2005, 12:00 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: digitalebola

use a 1 inch open end wrench and give it a half turn. You will find... no dip stick!!!! They really do not want us there!

John
No they don't.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:49 PM
FlatEric
Veteran

Dodgemech,

Any idea what the problem with the shake might be?

Thanks,

Old 05-30-2005, 10:41 AM
FlatEric
Veteran

So, had the car in to the dealer today. They drove it but could not say what was causing it. Checked the database and no entry there. Mech is guessing something with the AWD system, he had seen this on a Jeep.

Dealer will open a ticket or whatever it is they do with Chrysler and try to get pointed to a specific component.

Shake goes on.....

Old 08-06-2005, 03:30 PM
FlatEric
Veteran

In case anyone cares or has this problem in the future, finally got rid of the shake or "crow hopping" in my AWD RT during slow turns, etc. It had gotten so bad I did not like letting others ride with me, having to explain "what the heck is that noise?"

Dealer replaced the transfer case. On the old case the vent tube was outside and I guess water could get in. On the new case, the vent is protected.

Old 08-17-2005, 09:46 PM
a76marine

I know you got your problem fixed, but I just saw a thread about this over on lxforums.com and the guys there were saying simply changing the tranny oil to a different type did the trick... here is the link:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=12415

Old 08-17-2005, 11:25 PM
chrisuscga01
Professional
Default RE: Car Shake (Crow Hopping) on slow turns

Would this be the SAME PROBLEM???? My car shakes when i go to brake. I shakes pretty bad.

Quick Reply: Car Shake (Crow Hopping) on slow turns