Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

First trip to the dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 09:56 AM
Free_Style
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First trip to the dealer...

5w20 is used just to comply with the goverment. Alot of the new cars are using this new oil but these cars have the same engine as before. Better mpg less protection. What to mechanics know anyways. You plug in a computer and it tells you what needs to be check out.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:28 PM
dll2k4

ORIGINAL: Free_Style

I you use a high quality oil it is fine to use 5w30. The mds still works. Just don't use any additives.
Can you offer any supporting documentation for this? What other weights work with the MDS?

Old 05-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Free_Style
Rookie

I will find it. If you search 5w20 you will some docs. I did plenty on research on this. It is just a way so that chysler and other companys does have to pay more tax on gas. 5w20 is fine they did alot of testing on this new oil there is one company that did the testing for all the U.S car companys, but I want the best since I tend to run my engines hot. And I go 5000 miles between changes.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Rockadile
Rookie

...but I want the best since I tend to run my engines hot. And I go 5000 miles between changes.
So run 5W-20 Mobil1 (or some other synthetic). I've heard that heavier weight oils tend to cause problems with the MDS. That is enough info I need to use it.

Old 05-20-2005, 05:31 PM
Free_Style
Rookie

I don"t see anything thats supports the idea that 5w20 is nessasary or can hurt your engine. Why are most companys going to 5w20? Its not because of MDS.

Old 05-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Rockadile
Rookie

I believe most companies are doing it to gain better gas mileage.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Free_Style
Rookie

exactly. I would rather have better protection than better mpg. Now if I was selling it at 70k I would use Dino and change it every 4000 miles.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:13 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5w20 is used just to comply with the goverment. Alot of the new cars are using this new oil but these cars have the same engine as before. Better mpg less protection. What to mechanics know anyways. You plug in a computer and it tells you what needs to be check out.
You are a friken idiot. You couldn't do my job if you had all the time in the world to train. Customers like you are why I hate what I do. How about if you do me a huge favor and quit posting on any site I may visit as you offer absolutely zero tech to back up the crap you spew and never buy a DCX product again, that way there is no possibility I may ever have to work on your vehicle. Go choke on your owners manual.

For the rest of you.....the 5W-20 rating is used on many engines now to help lower emissions and increase fuel mileage which it does. What it does not do have any detrimental affect on the protection of the engine. Mercedes uses 0W-20 with zero failures. On the HEMI it is required as the oil solenoids that control the lifters contain very small passages and over time a heavier oil may not flow well, causing MDS activation lag.

Old 05-21-2005, 03:00 AM
MY HEMI
Rookie

Im glad you said Dodgemech...I was getting tired of listening to his crap...Dont worry those people that went to school to become engineers...that dont know what there doing....

Old 05-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Free_Style
Rookie

If you let people you don't even know get to you like that how could you even make a decision on what oil to use? It's just an opinion get over it. I am planning on keeping my magnum for a long time and would rather spend 10-20% more on gas than have more wear on the internals. I have close to 15K and MDS still works fine I get that MDS vibration at 70 mph.

Quick Reply: First trip to the dealer...