Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

First trip to the dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Free_Style
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First trip to the dealer...

Yes and no. Depends upon what you're comparing. A 5w20 synthetic oil will likely have less film and shear strength than a synthetic 5w30, 10w30 or 0w30. However, if you compare that same synthetic 5w20 motor oil to a petroleum 5w30, or 10w30, it will likely have better film and shear strength.

Obviously, this means it will certainly have better film and shear strength than a petroleum 5w20 oil. So, if you'd feel more comfortable sticking with the manufacturer recommended 5w20, go with a quality synthetic oil.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Free_Style
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First trip to the dealer...

posted April 11, 2004 02:56 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as embracing technology, I can assure you that I'm no luddite. I'd wager that my 20 year old lawn mower sees better oil than 97% of the cars of the road. I can't prove that XW-20 oils are not THAT GOOD, but this site will get to the bottom of this in the years to come. I just find it curious that trucks and SUVs get bigger and bigger and gas pigs like the hemi become popular and 5W-20 comes along and it is accepted by some as superior technology and something that is beneficial to the life of our engines. I'm sceptical. As far as dead hemi's, I doubt we'll see that but we shall see how the wear numbers look. I think the automakers find that it works adequately so they will go with that because their CAFE numbers mean more to them than cumulative wear numbers.
As far as embracing technology, I can assure you that I'm no luddite. I'd wager that my 20 year old lawn mower sees better oil than 97% of the cars of the road. I can't prove that XW-20 oils are not THAT GOOD, but this site will get to the bottom of this in the years to come. I just find it curious that trucks and SUVs get bigger and bigger and gas pigs like the hemi become popular and 5W-20 comes along and it is accepted by some as superior technology and something that is beneficial to the life of our engines. I'm sceptical. As far as dead hemi's, I doubt we'll see that but we shall see how the wear numbers look. I think the automakers find that it works adequately so they will go with that because their CAFE numbers mean more to them than cumulative wear numbers.

Quick Reply: First trip to the dealer...