Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Got the Shaker today!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 11:28 PM
digitalebola
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the Shaker today!!

First of all - I appologize for crossposting but I have had discussions with folks about this thing on dodgetalk, lxforums and dodgeforum. I have had many private requests for info as well from these sites. So I figure I would just update my website with progress and let everyone post questions or suggestions in the appropriate locations.

The shaker got here at 7:30 PM and it looked like this...

http://www.letsgoredwings.org/magnum/shaker/shaker.htm

Old 05-19-2005, 04:11 AM
digitalebola
Default RE: Got the Shaker today!!

I finished the rough install. Have to paint and fill now.

Here is a summary!

http://www.letsgoredwings.org/magnum/shaker/shaker2.htm

Old 05-19-2005, 05:58 AM
StatueMan
Rookie

You're a braver man than I to take a jig saw to the hood...I cringe getting a power tool close to a car.
Two questions: Any concerns about weakening the hood or having the hood "dip" where to hole is? (ok, technically that's two already, but...)
Is there an outer and inner skin on the hood?...there doesn't appear to be any in the photo and I didn't drive my Magnum to work today or I'd go out and look.
I did a similar mod back in the 70s on a Chevy and had a bit of trouble with getting the area between the skins (hood skin and supports) filled aequately.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:09 AM
digitalebola

The hood does have an outer and inner shell (hard to tell with the glare of the flash). In terms of strength I think it is gonna be okay because of that trim ring. It is thick. Unfortunatly the trim ring is not deep enough to cover both halves so I will have to fill some.

I am not great at body work. Infact I have not done any in about 15 years. I was thinking about geting some fiberglass sheeting and just blend from the underside of the hood to the trim ring or try to find some rubber moulding to cover the gap between the shells. What do you guys think?

John

Old 05-19-2005, 06:43 AM
StatueMan
Rookie

Like you I haven't done bodywork in years...I was never impressed with fiberglass. I suppose if done correctly I might work alright. Bondo is out...can't stand the stuff (I like the old "lead sled" stuff but no one uses it anymore). It would seem to me (without the benefit of actually seeing your hood) that the gap could best be filled with a double sided, high strength filler tape...much like is used in sealing joints. You see the same stuff occasionally used between skins on hoods, trunks, etc when coming from the manufacturers. Again, Chevy used to use much the same stuff in the 60s/70s. It tends to dry pretty hard so no hood vibration. The sound deadening sheets might work between the skins. Obviously the best bet is to use something between the skins, if needed, and then a custom rubber or composite seal that seals out the space. I wonder it the old Trans Am seals would work...wasn't there a seal on those (Man, that brings back memories...whether accurate or not)

Old 05-20-2005, 04:22 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

To join the two sections of hood together, I would try the foam insulation in a spray can. That stuff sticks to just about anything and is a good insulator to boot.

Get it at any home supply store, Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc.

Get the one that can be applied with the can in any position, not the can that must be held upside down to apply.

Let foam dry and then trim with a razor knife.

Where did you buy the shaker hood from?

Bob

Old 05-20-2005, 05:52 PM
digitalebola

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com/

Old 05-20-2005, 09:34 PM
chefboyrlee
Professional

i'd say fiberglass/bondo, but bodywork is by far not my area of expertise.

Old 05-21-2005, 12:00 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

I checked out their website, $995 for the shaker hood scoop? OUCH! Was that just for the shaker scoop or did it include the cold air intake also?

For $995, I would want it painted and installed.......................WOW!

I think I will pass on this one.

Bob

Old 06-26-2005, 07:31 PM
65standard
All Star

how does the shaker hood look after paint? did you do anything with the trim ring? this hood sure looks like a better value than the rk viper hood that i have.

viper hood $800
shipping $160
body shop $1329

total $2289

Quick Reply: Got the Shaker today!!