Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Non-transferrable drivetrain warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:59 PM
macgawd
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-transferrable drivetrain warranty?

Greetings,

In early 2008, I purchased a used 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD with 14k miles on it from the local Chrysler dealership. At that time, I paid $150.00 to have the 7/70 drivetrain warranty transferred to my name. Shortly afterward, that dealership closed due to the owner being imprisoned for embezzling millions of dollars from the business.

Fast-forward to 2010. I began having trouble with a noticeable shudder from the transfer case under certain load conditions, so I took it to the closest remaining Dodge dealership. They diagnosed it as needing a new torque converter and new transfer case, with a cost of $2,200.00. I asked why this wasn't being covered by the drivetrain warranty, as the car was still under the 7/70 coverage. The dealership showed that there was no such warranty for this car! I insisted that I had the warranty transferred by the dealer when I bought the car, but when I went home to find the paperwork, it was nowhere to be found.

Not wanting to pay that kind of $$ if it was supposed to be covered under the warranty, I took the car back without the repairs, and called Dodge HQ. The warranty dept. at Dodge called me back after looking into it, and they're telling me that not only was there no warranty in my name, but the original 7/70 drivetrain warranty was "non-transferrable" to begin with. This didn't sound right to me, but what can I do? I can't prove that I paid to have the warranty transferred because the dealership I bought it from is closed, its owner in prison, and they provided me with no paperwork showing that I paid for it.

So, not only did the original dealership screw me out of an extra $150, I'm screwed out of a warranty, and have to pay thousands of $$ to fix a car that's barely 5 years old.

I will never buy a Chrysler/Dodge product ever again.

Quick Reply: Non-transferrable drivetrain warranty?